Temperature gauge stopped working L285

Chris f

Oct 1, 2018
West bend Wisconsin
Hello my temperature gauge just stopped working tractor is not overheating any suggestions what to look for or can I install a universal gauge thanks for any suggestions

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Might NOT be the gauge ...but it very well could be too.

With power to the gauge on - unhook the connection where it goes into the block/head and then place that LEAD to ground. Gauge should move!!! IF not - then your thought is correct, the gauge is bad.

To test the sending unit - place an OHM meter on the lead that the gauge was plugged into - and then take the other lead to ground - notice the reading. DO this again after the engine is "hot" and see if the reading changes.

Maybe if you are lucky.... the lead TO THE SENDING unit may have come off - thus showing a zero reading. Obviously check the wire leading to the sending unit first.;)

GaryR

Equipment
M 4700
Aug 17, 2021
Cole Camp Mo
I had that same problem on M4700 and turned out to be the heat sensor. What 85Hokie said is right, I found the sensor was hard to get to because it was under the fuel tank so I unplugged the sensor and put a wire lead into the connector and was able to ground that with the ignition on and the temp gauge went full to hot. New sensor was the fix.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Another possibility is the wire between the gauge and sensor is broken or eaten by mice.