Tar River Grapple

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
Recently sold my extinct BX size Landpride small grapple. Switched to SSQA and looking into 54-55" clam and ran across Tar River and not finding many details or info. Finally found a Belco Resources link and got an answer the grapple is made in Poland. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

kcnsouthva

Equipment
L4060HST, FDR1672, GS1572, RCR1872
Aug 29, 2021
VA
I bought one, from my Kubota dealer, for my 4060. I've had it for just over a year and not had a moments trouble with it. Mostly used for trees and such. Seems sturdy: I've pulled trees out of the woods on end (dragging) and haven't bent tines. I am, however, a new tractor owner so it's possible I'm more cautious than others.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have a 72” long bottom twin lid. It’s an import from I don’t know where. No grease zerks on pivots. It’s a big, heavy thing made out of I don’t know what kind of steel. The gussets on the lid teeth were about 8” short of the end of the teeth so they tended to bend sideways at odd times. Must have been a lot of pressure on them because I couldn’t bend them back with an 8lb sledge; had to use the 16lb hammer to straighten (fun job that was). They were really too long anyway so before welding on gusset extensions I shortened them a few inches. No more tooth bending.

I know I probably just made it sound like a hunk of crap but I’ve actually been quite pleased with it. The bottom is quite stout and since shortening the lid teeth I’ve had zero issues with it. Have done some root raking type with it with good success although a long bottom of any sort isn’t ideal for root raking. I mostly move logs and brush with it plus cleaning out a ditch full of trash including appliances from the 50’s that were attached to the earth by roots and vines. Even though I describe it as big and heavy, due to a recent thread regarding grapples I checked it’s weight v a 72” EA and they were within a few pounds of each other. Still probably my favorite implement.

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
I bought one, from my Kubota dealer, for my 4060. I've had it for just over a year and not had a moments trouble with it. Mostly used for trees and such. Seems sturdy: I've pulled trees out of the woods on end (dragging) and haven't bent tines. I am, however, a new tractor owner so it's possible I'm more cautious than others.
Good to hear. A local implement dealer near me has a few in stock at a decent price. I really don't need rugged duty grapple at this point. Just handy when a tree falls and needing fast clean up. Really wanting a Homestead but by the time I pay for lift gate I'm into more than I want to spend. Thanks a lot for your info!

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
I have a 72” long bottom twin lid. It’s an import from I don’t know where. No grease zerks on pivots. It’s a big, heavy thing made out of I don’t know what kind of steel. The gussets on the lid teeth were about 8” short of the end of the teeth so they tended to bend sideways at odd times. Must have been a lot of pressure on them because I couldn’t bend them back with an 8lb sledge; had to use the 16lb hammer to straighten (fun job that was). They were really too long anyway so before welding on gusset extensions I shortened them a few inches. No more tooth bending.

I know I probably just made it sound like a hunk of crap but I’ve actually been quite pleased with it. The bottom is quite stout and since shortening the lid teeth I’ve had zero issues with it. Have done some root raking type with it with good success although a long bottom of any sort isn’t ideal for root raking. I mostly move logs and brush with it plus cleaning out a ditch full of trash including appliances from the 50’s that were attached to the earth by roots and vines. Even though I describe it as big and heavy, due to a recent thread regarding grapples I checked it’s weight v a 72” EA and they were within a few pounds of each other. Still probably my favorite implement.
Yep, after selling my old grapple because unable to convert it to SSQA I sure miss it. At 75 yr old I can't drag a lot of crap around by hand like I used to. Just want one that isn't going to bend like tin foil and welds worse than mine and mine are horrible. Thanks

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Recently sold my extinct BX size Landpride small grapple. Switched to SSQA and looking into 54-55" clam and ran across Tar River and not finding many details or info. Finally found a Belco Resources link and got an answer the grapple is made in Poland. Anyone have any experience with this brand?
Tar River has recently become common.

Chinese made and low priced.

Friend of mine bought a Tar River drill last year. So far, so good.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Yep, after selling my old grapple because unable to convert it to SSQA I sure miss it. At 75 yr old I can't drag a lot of crap around by hand like I used to. Just want one that isn't going to bend like tin foil and welds worse than mine and mine are horrible. Thanks
Unless the one you get is way different from mine it won’t bend like tinfoil. If it’s a good deal I would hesitate to buy mine again.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So the dealer's biggest problem is delivery for his customers for planting season. If the dealer Ben is dealing with has the grapple all of this man's argument is irrelevant.

A grapple has very few parts and it's a simple mechanical device so service and replacement parts are not critical.

Buy it and be happy!!

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
So the dealer's biggest problem is delivery for his customers for planting season. If the dealer Ben is dealing with has the grapple all of this man's argument is irrelevant.

A grapple has very few parts and it's a simple mechanical device so service and replacement parts are not critical.

Buy it and be happy!!
Lack of communications between manufacture and distributor. Poor quality, I would pass.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Post #5 wasn't talking about that grapple specifically, I read it as a general "I don't want a grapple with poor welds", not "this brand has poor welds".