Talk me out of buying a B6000

reelmanmi

Mar 17, 2012
Sacramento,CA. USA
Hello All - New to this about 8 min. ago, but have enjoyed reading the forums and watching the vids. Thanks for the education and entertainment.

I'm looking at a B6000 with a loader for $2K that's supposed to run OK - havent seen it it person yet cuz it finally decided to rain here in Sacto.

I'll be needing to put a mower and post hole digger on the 3 pt to get it to pay for itself and be able to use as a tax deduct and need a loader for around the house.

I was high on geting this little toy till I read the PTO runs CCW and the availability of reversers stinks, now I'm very aprehensive.

Hydrolic post hole diggers? Wait for another tractor? Any thoughts/options or pearls of wisdom from ya'll would be appreciated

Thanks from the left coast.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its easy for someone to tell you how to spend your money,
however the B6000 was a pretty good machine in its day unless you need it right now, in MHO I would look for something a little newer and a little larger and that parts and add on equipment, is a tad easyer to find but thats just me. Im sure others will chime in with different thoughts. But again MHO dont try to make do wit something that was the right price ( seemingly) thats not desigined or built for the job you have in mind. We have all done it and some times it works and other times,,,welll not so much.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I'd buy it.

For $2K, if it runs well and has a loader, it's well worth the money. Anything else that it is able to do will just be a bonus.

Sure, if you have the money, it would be nice to find a newer model. However, if you don't, then this will certainly be better than nothing.

You're looking at between $3500 - $6500 to get a newer model with a loader that is in decent shape.

Good luck,

Steve

Ach

Equipment
Kubota B6000 DT with B219 Loader
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
DT or 2wd? B6000s are built like really really small tanks. However, 2wd versions are a bit hamstrung in terms of traction, which is critical with a loader in my opinion.

The ccw pto makes post hole diggers an issue. Sans a reverser you're not going to run one. Without having done any research, my guess is that a hydraulic post hole digger will demand a higher gpm than the b6000's 12hp can deliver. I may be wrong of course...

However, Yenibiz still sells pto reverses for a pretty penny. It may be worth it to shell out the clams for one, as the b6000 is likely a few grand cheaper than most other comparable tractors, and also likely to be a bit tougher due to it's old iron construction.

reelmanmi

Mar 17, 2012
Sacramento,CA. USA
Thanks for all the input gentlemen. The irony is you're all right, that's why I'm writing.

Part of my delema is I wouldn't have to by any implements as my partner (that's "pardner" as in John Wayne, not Rock Hudson) and his wife have his and her Kubotas and all the toys I'd ever need just for a trip to their ranch and a box of dark chocolate for her if I can just get this PTO spinnin in the right direction.

The B6000 size is good for my small spread here and it is a 4x4, but I can get everything I need in a bit larger unit for about $5k and a road trip. I have found the Yenibiz reverser and it's a nice looking simple unit, but it oughta whistle Dixie for $800.

So lets review, if I score the B6000 for $2000, put the gear reverser on, I'm @ $2800. Assuming everything else on the unit is copasetic that ain't too bad...??? Don't know why I'm having trouble justifying this purchase, says the man with a garage full of Harleys. I guess I was hoping someone would write and say "I had the same issue, just took the transmission out of the wifes Kenmore washer, painted it orange, bolted right up and been using it trouble free for 10 years now."

Say Ach, my new bride and I were over in your neck of the woods on business (wink) the end of last year. Stayed in Kona, proposed to her on the rim of Kilauea and had an all 'round great time. Beautiful home you have there.

Thanks again for the continuing help.

Ach

Equipment
Kubota B6000 DT with B219 Loader
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Thanks reelmani,

I'm very lucky to live where I do. And congratulations to you and your new wife on the recent marriage. Beautiful place to tie the knot.

Good luck on the purchase. I'm a big fan of those b6000s, but that ccw pto issue does rear it's head upon occasion and there's just not alot you can do about it without dropping the cash for a reverser or getting lucky and finding one on ebay. Regardless, if it's a good working unit that price seems excellent, or at least it would be here in the islands.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Regions/prices are different, but from my perspective, you are looking at a good bargain- unless there are untold issues with the tractor. If it is solid, you could at the least resale it and make some money, softening the cost of a newer, bigger tractor. In some cases, the loader alone would bring close to $2000. At this point, if it were me, I'd give the tractor a good once-over. As far as the reverser- there's always some hitch, regardless of what you buy. Whether its $800 for a reverser, or something else, nothing that you desperately need comes cheap. That makes the economy go round.

reelmanmi

Mar 17, 2012
Sacramento,CA. USA
You make a lot of sense Hodge. As soon as I can get to it to fire it up and run it through its paces I think that'll help with the decision.

I've also been looking into the components needed to put a dozen or so reversers together. I figure if I can make up a nice simple solid unit and sell it for about $500 I could help out a number of fellas here and get some work for some buds here in Sac.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
I have a B6000 4x4 unit. It is a tough little workhorse and I highly recommend them. Mine has seen rototiller work exclusively, but it has done acres and acres of tilling without a hiccup. If the smaller sized tractor is what you want, you'd have a very hard time getting a better machine with a loader at a better price than the $2K you mentioned...

I've also been looking into the components needed to put a dozen or so reversers together. I figure if I can make up a nice simple solid unit and sell it for about $500 I could help out a number of fellas here and get some work for some buds here in Sac.
At $500 for a properly built and parts-hardened reverser that will take all 12.5 HP that little 'Bota puts out, I'll be your first customer... I don't think you'll have a hard time selling the others, either.

Good luck on your decision-

Hans

reelmanmi

Mar 17, 2012
Sacramento,CA. USA
Thanks to all that helped me on this, but it looks liked I got scouped on the deal. I was supposed to be first in line when it dried out enough to get to the tractor, but when I called the first sunny day I was told someone else had already been out and it had a miss when fored up so she got rid of it....Arrrrgh!!
But again, thanks to all and I'm a whole lot smarter than I was a week ago and have met some new friends. I remain on the hunt.
Hilary in Sac.

Zoltan

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Apr 15, 2014
Los Gatos, CA, USA
I just ran across this posting about a B6000. I've had one for close to 20 years and love it. It came with a Howard Tiller, but no other attachments. I'd really like to find a front loader for it, maybe a back hoe. Anybody know of some attachments for sale for a B6000?

Thanks,

Rye