T2080 Hydro-static Transmission Problems?

YamahaYG68

Equipment
T2080
Apr 12, 2020
Fort Erie
I have a T2080 that had the following problems with for the 1st time, today, and I was hoping someone here might have some suggestions.

1.) The tractor threw the HST belt, it did not break, it just came off the HST sheave. I was operating it, cutting lawn on non-challenging, level ground. It just stopped moving and thats when I found that the belt was off.

I reinstalled the belt and it was drive-able but I am concerned there is an underlying issue that caused this.

2.) I noticed that the Hydrostatic Transaxle Bypass Rod did not have any spring tension on it, it could very easily be moved back and forth, the pivot piece that it connects to on the HST moved freely about its pivot. The rod does not snap back into position when it is pulled out and released.

I don't have the details right with me but I bought the T2080, new, 10+ years ago.

YamahaYG68

Equipment
T2080
Apr 12, 2020
Fort Erie
1.) The tractor threw the HST belt, it did not break, it just came off the HST sheave. I was operating it, cutting lawn on non-challenging, level ground. It just stopped moving and thats when I found that the belt was off.
Think I may have answered this one, the belt is 10 years old, No. is still a mystery to me.

YamahaYG68

Equipment
T2080
Apr 12, 2020
Fort Erie
2.) I noticed that the Hydrostatic Transaxle Bypass Rod did not have any spring tension on it, it could very easily be moved back and forth, the pivot piece that it connects to on the HST moved freely about its pivot. The rod does not snap back into position when it is pulled out and released.
Well, I proved the bypass does does still work, just have to move it manually, both ways; on a 10 year old machine, I can live with that.

Having a shop replace the 10 year old drive belt. I could normally do it, but got off chemo three months ago. I am getting better but not up to another wrestle with the mower deck to get at it.

Putting a new battery in, too, got 10 years out of the original :)

Seem's like I answered my own questions ;)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
tell the shop to look at the idler pivot mechanism. They tend to wear out, causing pulley misalignment, which can lead to premature belt failure. Also the two plastic idlers can fail. Usually when one of the idlers fails I'll recommend replacing both of them as well as the idler pivot assembly while it's going to be off anyway.

YamahaYG68

Equipment
T2080
Apr 12, 2020
Fort Erie
tell the shop to look at the idler pivot mechanism. They tend to wear out, causing pulley misalignment, which can lead to premature belt failure. Also the two plastic idlers can fail. Usually when one of the idlers fails I'll recommend replacing both of them as well as the idler pivot assembly while it's going to be off anyway.
Thanks, it went to the shop, yesterday. I'll mention that to them.