T-1560 starting/re-starting issue

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
My T-1560 has developed an issue. I had replaced the plug this spring and it started up like normal and worked fine. I shut it off after mowing and then an hour or so later went to fire it up and no start. I ended up changing the plug again and boom, fired right up. This has happened several times. I'm thinking the solenoid is bad/going out. Any other ideas ??? Thanks in advance. Jon

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you will need to dig in with a DVOM, check voltage at the small wire on the starter. If under 10v but more than zero, you can install a JD part number AM107421 (relay kit). Or you can fiddle around and find where teh voltage drop is, which is a lot more time consuming and potentially harder to track down/repair the failed part(s).

Should get you cranking good again.

If it's cranking good just not starting, you may have an issue with the little igniter, which is no longer available so you have to replace the coil with one that has the igniter built in. Kubota dont' sell it either, U have to go through a Kawasaki engine dealer, and make SURE you have the numbers off of the sticker. FC401V-BS12 (example only) and then the serial number.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks for the reply.

It is cranking very well. Is there a way to check the igniter ?
Remove the spark plug and then attach the wire/lead to it. Lay the plug so the threads are grounding against the engine and so you can see the gap at the end of the plug.

Crank engine and look for electric spark occurring at the of the spark plug. Easiest done in low light conditions.

No spark means igniter has failed.

Look for a low voltage wire connected to the engine. Often it is a ground wire to cut off the spark and stop the engine. If the key switch is bad and not opening the ground path to the igniter, the igniter cannot produce spark. Pull that wire off the engine and again check for spark..

youtube

Dave

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
My experience those igniters either work or don't. I would check the air gap on the coil. I believe you are having a fuel flooding issue in the carb. Sounds like the fuel is over running into the engine after engine shut down. This is usually a float issue. Has the carb been apart recently? Is the plug wet? I would be cautious if this is the case, the engine can hydro lock. The fuel stop solenoid does shunt the flow to the main jet at engine off, but the carb should still not overflow.

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
Nothing on the engine has been apart in the 2 years or so I've had it.

Doesn't act like it's flooding out + no strong gas smell & plug is dry

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
Took the plug out and reconnected it to the boot and checked for spark. Definitely got good spark. Now I’m wondering if there’s a fuel issue....sooo frustrating! Going to get a new fuel filter and see if that does anything....

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
If you have spark>then compression and fuel. You can test fuel by giving a mist of your volatile solvent of choice>Still nothing compression check> Good compression> then my money is sheared flywheel key.

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
So here's a little update: I apparently wasn't getting a good seal when putting the spark plug boot on when the plug was installed. I had gone to the dealership to ensure I got the correct plug yesterday, put it in, and changed the fuel filter. Wasn't real confident that anything was going to change but climbed on and hit the key anyway.......cranked for about 3 seconds and fired up. At that point I realized that I had had to push fairly hard to make the boot "click" on and realized I hadn't heard that "click" when I changed the plug before. Waited for it to warm up and went and mowed for about an hour. Working flawlessly.

After turning it off, I waited about 5 minutes or so to see if it'd fire back up. It didn't, so I just let it be. I'll see what it does tonight when I get home. Hopefully whatever the original issue {new plug each time to fire up} was doesn't reappear. I'll post back what happens.

Thanks to those that offered help/advice.

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
So, at least for now apparently, the issue seems to have resolved itself as it started and ran again last night. Thanks again to the members who offered advice/tips. Regards, Jon

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
Guess I spoke too soon as the original problem has returned.

I took out the new kubota NGK plug I just put in, and was working fine, and it seems to be fouled.

thomas57

Equipment
kubota motor d782 3cyl mower
Apr 20, 2021
florida
My T-1560 has developed an issue. I had replaced the plug this spring and it started up like normal and worked fine. I shut it off after mowing and then an hour or so later went to fire it up and no start. I ended up changing the plug again and boom, fired right up. This has happened several times. I'm thinking the solenoid is bad/going out. Any other ideas ??? Thanks in advance. Jon
I have found the same thing on my die ,, it was a part of a tree leaf that would float over and sometimes clog the fuel hole // was a pain to find , why some times run then stop or run bad the leaf will float around when the pump stopped .. hope this will help

thomas57

Equipment
kubota motor d782 3cyl mower
Apr 20, 2021
florida
1621618448255.png