Switching Outlet for block heater

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
My new toy will live in the barn about 200 feet from the house.

I'm looking for a way to control a single outlet so I can turn the block heater on from the house when I get up and have the tractor warmed up and ready to start when I need to blow snow.

Most of the wirelessly controlled outlets I see have a range of 100 feet.

I realize I could use a timer, but that wouldn't be as versatile as a remotely controlled outlet and would require either heating the tractor every day whether I use it or not, or remembering to plug in/set the timer when I expect to need the tractor the next morning. Which sort of defeats the purpose...

Ideas or experience?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Our maintenance guy just used keyfob-operated relays to control the fans in the weld shop. The shop is around 300' long and the relays are located at one end. No problem operating the relays at that distance.

The old system used a signal over the building power wiring system and quit working when we replaced the lighting with HOT5 fixtures because of the electrical noise from the lights.

These look like the controls he used, but I can check with him next week to be certain if you decide to pursue it. He used the 2-channel for controlling a pair of fans and their associated motorized intake air dampers:

http://www.relaypros.com/Relay/Relay/KEY_FOB#.VR8I4Dp0wfp

EDIT TO ADD: In our case the relays were used as pilot duty devices. That is they were used to control heavier duty relays that switched the heavier load current.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The manufacturers of remote outlets will tell you that in very cold weather they will not operate.
Here is the reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email. Regarding your question, yes extreme temperature can affect the unit’s ability to operate. The temperature range is about -20C to +40C.

Thank You,

Best Regards
Huntley Richards.Jr
Customer Service
905-456-8883 x 10

www.skylinkhome.com
www.otodor.com

My solution is to run a two wire low voltage cable over the ground in the fall between the tractor shed and my home. In my tractor shed I install a 24 volt transformer and a contactor or relay. A simple switch in my house turns the block heater receptacle on.
Always works. Some day I will get ambitious and bury the cable but now I just coil it up in the spring.
Daave M7040