Svl90-2 boom arms seem to be warped

Wesley66

Equipment
Svl90-2,svl75-2
Dec 23, 2023
Georgia
I saw a thread from a couple years ago about SVL95-2 with the boom arms uneven. It said they were carrying big trees with a grapple and noticed the boom arms uneven. I have the same problem, the last chat of the thread,someone commented the dealer said they have had other machines with same issue,design flaw or weak metal something to that effect. Do any of you know if there is a way to fix it or is changing the boom the only option. As was stated in the other post,I can't find anything that appears to be bent,if anyone has any info I would appreciate the feedback

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I read that thread and believe I saw your question at the end, and it is good that you started a new thread to get some help.

If it were a tractor, one of the first questions that always seems to be asked is if rear tire pressure is equal, and if rear tire diameters are equal.

BUT you don't have rear tires. I think in that other thread, the OP did not find signs of distortion or twisting. Could be wrong. He did not come back to report any conclusion if I remember correctly.

What I am wondering is if something could shift on the rear end, to cause the skid steer to tilt, similar to what happens on a tractor with differing tire pressure or different diameter rear tires.

Just an off the wall question, but at least you will know that someone is reading your post and some actual help may be coming...

Merry Christmas to all by the way!

Reactions: 1 user

Wesley66

Equipment
Svl90-2,svl75-2
Dec 23, 2023
Georgia
I read that thread and believe I saw your question at the end, and it is good that you started a new thread to get some help.

If it were a tractor, one of the first questions that always seems to be asked is if rear tire pressure is equal, and if rear tire diameters are equal.

BUT you don't have rear tires. I think in that other thread, the OP did not find signs of distortion or twisting. Could be wrong. He did not come back to report any conclusion if I remember correctly.

What I am wondering is if something could shift on the rear end, to cause the skid steer to tilt, similar to what happens on a tractor with differing tire pressure or different diameter rear tires.

Just an off the wall question, but at least you will know that someone is reading your post and some actual help may be coming...

Merry Christmas to all by the way!
Thanks for the response.
The body is straight, when I'm sitting in the seat looking out at boom, it is tilted up on the right side,I can't tell if right side is twisted up or left is twisted down
Merry Christmas 🎅 🎄

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Carry an unbalanced load ie. tree by one end to bend it in the direction you want it to go. Don't over do it.

FYI fabricated weldements don't come out of the factory perfectly level either.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Carry an unbalanced load ie. tree by one end to bend it in the direction you want it to go. Don't over do it.

FYI fabricated weldements don't come out of the factory perfectly level either.
I like this possible solution! Great thinking outside the box!

At least outside the size of my box...don't get me wrong...I am a guy...LOL

Sometimes I dono if yinz guys undastand the way a speak... :LOL:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
When you lower the loader boom arms onto the stops on the front of the frame, does one side contact its stop before the other side does?
When you fully raise the boom, does one side stop before the other side does?

DaddyRabbit

Equipment
SVL95 2-S
Feb 15, 2024
DeRidder, LA
We are having the same issues.
I've tried loading one side (with logs, & lifting our heavy trucks) to bend it back, but can't get it to bend. When it happened we weren't lifting anything heavy, but I had grabbed a log still setting on the stump, went to lift & backup at the same time, but the log wasn't cut all the way through.
When I go down one side does hit first, & if I hold it down the other side will pull down & hit. Same with it all the way up.
Thanks
I can't find any signs you should see on bent(warped) steel.
Has anyone been able to solve this issue?
Sorry for such a long post, but I like to try & provide the most info I can.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Learn to live with it, treat this as a learning experience. Lesson learned? Overloading is operator error and can lead to damaged equipment, operator injury or death.

If you are unhappy with this response hire a lawyer and sue Kubota for $11M because K didn't put a sticker on the loader boom saying it will bend it if you over load the boom either statically or dynamically.

Wesley66

Equipment
Svl90-2,svl75-2
Dec 23, 2023
Georgia
We are having the same issues.
I've tried loading one side (with logs, & lifting our heavy trucks) to bend it back, but can't get it to bend. When it happened we weren't lifting anything heavy, but I had grabbed a log still setting on the stump, went to lift & backup at the same time, but the log wasn't cut all the way through.
When I go down one side does hit first, & if I hold it down the other side will pull down & hit. Same with it all the way up.
Thanks
I can't find any signs you should see on bent(warped) steel.
Has anyone been able to solve this issue?
Sorry for such a long post, but I like to try & provide the most info I can.
I also tried to bend them back straight with a big log,it helped some but still not even,I found some boom arms off a totaled machine am going to replace mine, Not sure my next machine will be a Kubota

Wesley66

Equipment
Svl90-2,svl75-2
Dec 23, 2023
Georgia
Learn to live with it, treat this as a learning experience. Lesson learned? Overloading is operator error and can lead to damaged equipment, operator injury or death.

If you are unhappy with this response hire a lawyer and sue Kubota for $11M because K didn't put a sticker on the loader boom saying it will bend it if you over load the boom either statically or dynamically.
Responses like this aren't helpful in anyway,it's why I am hesitant to ask anything on any of these sites. Seems people just enjoy being snarkey these days

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I recall reading either earlier in this thread, or in another thread, where a guy with the same problem said he could move the bucket arms until one side hit the stop, and then continue applying the hydraulics, and the other side would hit the other stop. But this did not fix his problem (due to spring back is My guess).

Wesley66 mentioned that he tried the tree trick and it helped but it didn’t fix the problem completely. So he’s going to replace the arms with some used ones he got.

What I’m wondering is, if something could be placed on top of the stop the arms hit first, say, when lowering, and if the hydraulics could then be used to bend the other side down further than it might go relatively, if it the other side were to hit the standard stop.

I think this is what I would probably try to do if it bothered me, a little bit at a time, hopefully with enough hydraulic power to bend things back where I wanted them.

How crazy is this idea?

Wesley66

Equipment
Svl90-2,svl75-2
Dec 23, 2023
Georgia
I recall reading either earlier in this thread, or in another thread, where a guy with the same problem said he could move the bucket arms until one side hit the stop, and then continue applying the hydraulics, and the other side would hit the other stop. But this did not fix his problem (due to spring back is My guess).

Wesley66 mentioned that he tried the tree trick and it helped but it didn’t fix the problem completely. So he’s going to replace the arms with some used ones he got.

What I’m wondering is, if something could be placed on top of the stop the arms hit first, say, when lowering, and if the hydraulics could then be used to bend the other side down further than it might go relatively, if it the other side were to hit the standard stop.

I think this is what I would probably try to do if it bothered me, a little bit at a time, hopefully with enough hydraulic power to bend things back where I wanted them.

How crazy is this idea?
I tried that too just won't bend back straight, the long log I tried would pickup one side of machine and wouldn't straighten it. When it warped to begin with,there wasn't half the weight on one side as I put on it trying to fix it. I wonder if everyone who has had this problem are all the booms warped the same way. Mine is higher on the right side sitting in the seat,seems I remember another person said theirs was warped same side.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I also tried to bend them back straight with a big log,it helped some but still not even,I found some boom arms off a totaled machine am going to replace mine, Not sure my next machine will be a Kubota
How do you know the components on the totaled machine are any better then what you have now?

Wesley66

Equipment
Svl90-2,svl75-2
Dec 23, 2023
Georgia
How do you know the components on the totaled machine are any better then what you have now?
I looked at them and put them on my flatbed and they lay flat can't find any indication they are warped guess I won't know for sure till I get them on

DaddyRabbit

Equipment
SVL95 2-S
Feb 15, 2024
DeRidder, LA

How crazy is this idea?
I'm going to try that, & if it doesn't work I'm going to load the high side with a log, chain it to a living tree & take our crane & see if I can get them back level. I just can't find any defects in the arms anywhere, if it is its miniscule, but causing a large change at the bucket.

Wesley66

Equipment
Svl90-2,svl75-2
Dec 23, 2023
Georgia
I'm going to try that, & if it doesn't work I'm going to load the high side with a log, chain it to a living tree & take our crane & see if I can get them back level. I just can't find any defects in the arms anywhere, if it is its miniscule, but causing a large change at the bucket.
The only thing I could find is on the back where a bar goes across there are 2 triangle braces and mine aren't even when I checked them with a level front to back. Which side of yours is higher mine is higher on the right side sitting in the machine