SVL 95-2s Turbo replacement

CampCreekHardwoods

Equipment
SVL 95-2s/SVL 90/ Kx-080/U55-5/Kx018/Mx5200/M6800/L4200/M100gx/M135gx
Feb 15, 2024
Missouri
Hello all, I have a Kubota SVL 95-2s with a bad turbo. I have the new one on the bench, and I'm replacing it myself. Has anyone here done this before, and what else should I look at while doing this? Anything else that might have been damaged?

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
How did your old turbo fail? Did it come apart internally? If so metal shrapnel ingested into the intercooler (if applicable) or intake piping/cylinder head is a legit concern. If it were just bad oil seals and smoking which caused it to need replacing that would be a different story.

CampCreekHardwoods

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Missouri
How did your old turbo fail? Did it come apart internally? If so metal shrapnel ingested into the intercooler (if applicable) or intake piping/cylinder head is a legit concern. If it were just bad oil seals and smoking which caused it to need replacing that would be a different story.

CampCreekHardwoods

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Missouri
Thanks for the reply. The turbo wheel is loose, I can move it around with my finger, but doesn't appear to have come apart, and yes there was smoke. Machine was running okay just no power, and of course a knocking sound from the wheel bouncing around in there. I got it shut down pretty quickly.

L35

Equipment
Jun 13, 2010
CT
So some fine particles could of been ingested, if visible wear is on the compressor and exhaust wheels. Can you make the wheels contact the housing? There’s usually a little side to side play which is normal, that gets taken up when the center cartridge is pressurized with oil. In and out play is what you don’t want to see.

CampCreekHardwoods

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Missouri
So some fine particles could of been ingested, if visible wear is on the compressor and exhaust wheels. Can you make the wheels contact the housing? There’s usually a little side to side play which is normal, that gets taken up when the center cartridge is pressurized with oil. In and out play is what you don’t want to see.
Honestly haven't checked for in and out play, just wiggled it side to side. The machine is in the field, I won't see it again until tomorrow or Monday. I will look into it further then. Thanks again, I'll post back when I know more.

L35

Equipment
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Try and grab some pics of the wheels and surrounding surfaces. What color was the smoke by the way?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
just take the compressor housing off. Then you'll see how bad it was.

there was a bulletin for turbo failures at one point on the svl95's but thankfully I never had to deal with them.

Reactions: 1 user

CampCreekHardwoods

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Missouri
just take the compressor housing off. Then you'll see how bad it was.

there was a bulletin for turbo failures at one point on the svl95's but thankfully I never had to deal with them.
Yeah this machine has had 1 new engine and a couple of turbos. This is just the first time Ive replaced it myself. Appreciate the advice, I'll check that out.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yeah this machine has had 1 new engine and a couple of turbos. This is just the first time Ive replaced it myself. Appreciate the advice, I'll check that out.

I'd like to know why turbo's are failing. I had an idea why the originals were, but after they fixed the issue that mostly went away. Overspeeding?

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I'd like to know why turbo's are failing. I had an idea why the originals were, but after they fixed the issue that mostly went away. Overspeeding?
Running a turboed engine at high power and shutting down without a period to cool the turbomachinery can cause severe rubs as the casing cools down quicker that the rotating parts. In many cases it also reduces the oil supply to the turbo bearing.

I'm not saying that's what happened here but these are potential causes for turbo failures. IIRC, on our NH TD95D, NH says that after high power operation, reduce the rpm to 1200 rpm and let engine cool for 5 minutes before shutting down the engine.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Running a turboed engine at high power and shutting down without a period to cool the turbomachinery can cause severe rubs as the casing cools down quicker that the rotating parts. In many cases it also reduces the oil supply to the turbo bearing.

I'm not saying that's what happened here but these are potential causes for turbo failures. IIRC, on our NH TD95D, NH says that after high power operation, reduce the rpm to 1200 rpm and let engine cool for 5 minutes before shutting down the engine.
That is probably the number one cause of turbo failures.

CampCreekHardwoods

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Missouri

That's definately a possibility here, as there have some very inexperienced operators using it at times. I also think they might not have warmed it up enough before putting it under a load at times. Both equally important I would think.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
turbo's run a long time with no oil in them. Well, longer than you'd think anyway. It's not an instantaneous failure if it doesn't have oil in it yet, or after you shut it down. After engine is turned off, it's still got oil in it, pressure drops off within a few seconds. The turbo on the SVL's is so tiny that it stops within a few seconds of the engine being turned off. It never really loses significant oil until long after it's shut off.

However, coking can happen-it's a lot less common now than it used to be, mostly due to the change in engine oil formulation. But some folks still use the dirt cheap oil from Fred's and that might contribute to coking.

Normally the most common cause of turbocharger failures is lack of oil or contaminated oil during operation. Second most common is foreign debris entry (through the compressor) which eats up the compressor wheel and sometimes the housing. Dirt is the #1 foreign debris. Nuts and bolts, bits of the air filter, bits of stuff that came out of the airbox during filter replacement, all contributing to the same things.

Just an example, working on an old G1900 that used to belong to my brother. The frame is broken the deck is rusted, it's not really worth fixing. Engine runs fine and it does pull itself so it's mostly something to piddle with. I bolted an old Kubota (IHI RHB3 I think) to the manifold and ran some piping to the intake, sealed everything up and fired it up. No oil. I've run it for a good 30 minutes straight at full load, 4 psi (that's all it will do) boost with the blades on, and so far the turbo is still doing fine. I've done it multiple times, twice today actually. I'm thinking about making a different manifold to get the turbo closer to the head, maybe it'll make a little more boost and respond faster. But, it doesn't solve the fact that the turbo is just too big for it. BTW I can't tell a lick of difference in power, the only thing I notice is that the black smoke under load is gone. And note, I really don't care if the engine eats a compressor wheel, or if a turbine wheel exits the housing, or a seal goes south. The mower has no value but for scrap, and that's where it will go when the time comes.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
That's definately a possibility here, as there have some very inexperienced operators using it at times. I also think they might not have warmed it up enough before putting it under a load at times. Both equally important I would think.
Turbo failure is very common, especially on rental equipment where the first-time operators keep shutting off the engine without idling it down first. It is not just on Kubotas either, it's all brands.