Suitcase weights

Canoehat

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 10, 2020
Illinois
So I'm in the market for some suitcase weights. I would like to buy used at a cheaper price. The recommended part numbers on Kubotas website are BL8069 and BL8060-1. I'm assuming one of these part numbers refers to the bracket and one for the weights but doesn't specify. I figured on building a rear hitch that would accommodate the weights also. I have found several Kubota suitcase weights that are 55# but am not sure if they are all the same. Just figure if I'm spending the money on weights it would be nice to have the option to put on front or back. Does anyone here have front weights for an 80 series BX? I would like to see pics and get some input.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I just use the 40 pound weights from Deere. They are sometimes sold at Lowe’s, and the Deere dealer will have them in stock. I hang 5 on the front and can do 8 in the back

johnkn

Nov 18, 2014
Laplata, MD
+1 I prefer the JD config over the Kubota. After looking for several months for used weights, I just sprung for new weights from my local dealer. About $60 each and no additional shipping. I hit them with 2 good coats of self etching primer and 2 good coats of industrial gloss black to get rid of that ugly green color. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 43421

I went with “generic“ 41# green weights from local JD dealer. There is no JD logo. I believe weights were $58 a piece (purchased in 2020). My weights look identical to those sold on Heavy Hitch website.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
After looking on line and weighing the cost of shipping on top I found some at my Kubota dealer. I adapted an L series bracket to my B6200 and use five.

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
If you can weld maybe attempt making your own. I fabbed up 5 weights for 400lb of weight. Melted down old car wheel weights. You can see them mounted on my home made sod cutter to provide some down pressure. Total cost was about $80 CAD and my time.

Kubota Weights.jpg
IMG_7319.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
If you can weld maybe attempt making your own. I fabbed up 5 weights for 400lb of weight. Melted down old car wheel weights. You can see them mounted on my home made sod cutter to provide some down pressure. Total cost was about $80 CAD and my time.

View attachment 50223 View attachment 50225
Snowmansimon, that's a unique sod cutter! Does it work good and do you have any other pictures of it?
I have use for one coming up next summer if things go as planned. Yours is a very nice build!! Thanks.
david

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
Snowmansimon, that's a unique sod cutter! Does it work good and do you have any other pictures of it?
I have use for one coming up next summer if things go as planned. Yours is a very nice build!! Thanks.
david
I built it to transplant sod into the fenced yard for the dogs. I ended up building a patio where the bare dirt was and haven't used it for its initial intentions. I did do a few test cuts and it worked fairly well. We had a really dry summer so the sod was way to dry and crumbly.

Looking through my phone I don't have any other pictures and I am not at home. The drum is a roller on bearings to keep it from digging too deep. The blade is 3/8x2" flat bar, you can see it behind the drum. The flat bar runs down on each side like you can see in the pic. Then the blade that does the cutting is welded between the two. this whole U shaped piece is adjustable in 1/2" increments up and down. Using the top link you can roll the whole thing forward to help the blade start its first cut.

I also built it to be offset and run on either side of the tractor. This way the tractor is always running on flat ground instead of 1 tire on sod and one on bare dirt. I suppose I could have adjusted the 3 point to keep things level instead.

I watched a few videos of the ventrac sod cutter and saw how simple the design was and how easy it was cutting. Built mine with a similar design just behind the tractor instead of in front.

The only other picture I have:
Sod cutter side.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
That took a lot of wheel weights! o_O
Haha yes it was. Luckily I know a few mechanics and they gave me several 5 gallon buckets full lol. Used up a full 20lb propane tank melting them down. I would lay a thin layer of weights then pour the melted lead all around them. Then repeat and work my way up till it was full.

mattg68

Equipment
B6200HST
Nov 24, 2020
New Hartford, CT 06057
This is very informative. I’m also looking at getting some weights for my B6200HST. Mike9 your tractor looks great. Off topic, but what wheels and tires do you have on that beast. I’ve got turfs and the rears are in need of replacement.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Sorry for the delay - those are Carlisle True Powers on the back and R4s on the front mounted to the stock turf rims. I grooved the lugs and haven't gotten stuck yet. got a brand new set of chains still in the bags from 5yrs. ago.