Suggestions on rear blade for L3800?

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
Sorry for all the questions I've been posting. Getting ready to make our purchase, trying to figure out exactly what I want to get.

Looking at L3800 HST 4wd with FEL 66", and would like to get a rear blade for it. Not sure what to get, and what type and size is recommended. Will primarily be used for snow removal on 1/2mi gravel driveway. Occasional grading/ditch cleaning, etc.

Suggestions? Should I look at something hydraulic? I don't know what would need to be added to run that, and if it is worth it. ? I've never used either type, manual or hydraulic. Always used a skid steer (bucket) for snow removal. Snow around here is usually not too bad, though we do get our big storms every few years. Thanks! :)

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
To start with, whatever rear blade you end up with, it should be 7' wide and it should have skid shoes. Skid shoes make life much easier.

Now you can go from cheap and get a blade that angles and that is about all for a few hundred$ and you can go with one of these for about $3000. Your budget, your decision.

A good blade for the money would be a manual adjust blade, but have all 3 functions of angle, offset and tilt. A lot of people don't realize how nice it is to be able to offset a rear blade. Great for ditches and for snow removal.

Here are some to look at.

http://www.everythingattachments.com/Rear-Blade-p/eta-7-value-sb.htm

http://www.landpride.com/products/567/rb37-series-rear-blades

http://www.everythingattachments.com/Tractor-Rear-Scrape-Blades-p/eta-xd-sblade.htm

There are many others, that is just a few. I prefer Land Pride units myself.

Do you have any aux hydraulics? Rear remotes sure can come in handy. If you are going to be doing very much grading, you may want to consider a top and tilt hydraulic set for the 3pt hitch.

Honestly, for 1/2 mile of road to maintain, a rear blade is good for snow removal, but a land plane grading scraper is the BEST WAY to go to maintain the roads surface once things dry out some.

Attachments

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Mcp:

We have a 6 foot rhino blade with offset adjustments or use straight. I find it extremely easy to use by offsetting it, plowing one side out and then the other. Takes very little time. Ours is called a "Rhino Blade."

Burt

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
Thanks for the info! Dealer recommended 7' as well.

MtnView....What are skid shoes? (newbie question, I know LOL)

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'm using a plain old 7' box blade w/no hydraulics to take care of 1 mile long gravel drive and several miles of logging roads. The L3800 pulls it just fine!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I also have a 6' Rhino blade - have had it for 35+ years. Very heavy duty. I wish it was a 7'. You want to rotate the blade, tilt the blade, and swing the arm. The fancy Land pride does them all. You might also consider a gage wheel on the back.

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
Thanks. So I assume the shoes designed to keep the blade at a steady height when plowing snow? That way you don't dig in to the driveway?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'm using a plain old 7' box blade w/no hydraulics to take care of 1 mile long gravel drive and several miles of logging roads. The L3800 pulls it just fine!
I screwed up here. I'm using a 6 foot box blade, not a 7 foot. :eek:

I do believe the L3800 will pull a 7 foot, but it'll grunt a bit if pulling uphill...

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
Anyone have experience with the Woods RB84? It has tilt, angle, and offset, and doesn't seem like it will break the bank.

I can't seem to find a land pride that has similar features that isn't a good bit more expensive. My guess is 80-90% of the use will be clearing snow from our driveway.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Thanks. So I assume the shoes designed to keep the blade at a steady height when plowing snow? That way you don't dig in to the driveway?
Mcp:

An L3800 will keep the blade at about the same height as the rear wheels. If you set the 3 point at the right depth, you can plow snow all day without digging in unless you have some serious moguls to contend with.

Burt

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
.mcp, Woods. Is a good brand and works well with Kubota the RB84 is a good match becaus it will cover your tire marks when pushing or pulling. Oh I see you got a L3800 also so did I with the HST transmission and I love it. By the way thanks for asking all the questions I have learned from all the help you have gotten.....