sudden 3 point failure

foresterdj

Equipment
L2550, FEL, rear blade, 3 pt mower, chipper & blower, disc, grapple bucket
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
Mid-1980's L2550 with FEL. Sudden complete 3 point failure. Loader and power steering work. Loader and auxiliary hydraulics develop full pressure under load and operate at normal speed. 3 point can be lifted up and dropped down with no resistance either direction (other than the dead weight of the arms). Tried holding it up and closing the valve (which I understand should hold the arms in position) and the arms still drop. It is almost like they are not even connected inside. There was no noise that I am aware of at the moment of failure.

Suggestions welcome. Will likely start disassembly tomorrow.

Further details of pre-failure activities. I had plowed some snow with the FEL. Dropped the rear blade and hooked up the new to me old 3 point snow blower. Raised it all the way up and down twice to be sure spout crank would not hit anything when fully up. Backed up and lowered blower and blew a swath next to shop. Pulled lever to go forward and no lift, nothing, no sound like it was even trying. As noted above, arms seem completely loose and will not hold up (after manually lifting them up) regardless of the drop speed valve position (cannot remember what the actual name of the valve is, but you know what I mean, the one under the seat).

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Mid-1980's L2550 with FEL. Sudden complete 3 point failure. Loader and power steering work. Loader and auxiliary hydraulics develop full pressure under load and operate at normal speed. 3 point can be lifted up and dropped down with no resistance either direction (other than the dead weight of the arms). Tried holding it up and closing the valve (which I understand should hold the arms in position) and the arms still drop. It is almost like they are not even connected inside. There was no noise that I am aware of at the moment of failure.

Suggestions welcome. Will likely start disassembly tomorrow.

Further details of pre-failure activities. I had plowed some snow with the FEL. Dropped the rear blade and hooked up the new to me old 3 point snow blower. Raised it all the way up and down twice to be sure spout crank would not hit anything when fully up. Backed up and lowered blower and blew a swath next to shop. Pulled lever to go forward and no lift, nothing, no sound like it was even trying. As noted above, arms seem completely loose and will not hold up (after manually lifting them up) regardless of the drop speed valve position (cannot remember what the actual name of the valve is, but you know what I mean, the one under the seat).
I would not be tearing anything apart too quickly. The lowering speed valve needs oil in the circuit to hold and you may have none. I would check to make sure oil is being delivered to the 3pt. No oil = no lift = no hold on the valve.

Loader valve stuck would be one possibility.

Edit: Just looked at the parts diagram for the loader. Three quick couplers between loader valve and tractor. I would check the power beyond coupler to make sure it is doing its thing. If its not passing oil you will have loader but not 3pt.

Dan

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sounds like a possible broken rock shaft if it’s mechanical but doesn’t sound like you were doing anything to potentially precipitate that. Agree with TheOldHokie I’d rule out hydraulic issues before a major exploratory dismantling.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Please pardon a dumb suggestion, but any chance the draft control lever got bumped out of position? (Draft control was optional - maybe your L2550 doesn't have it.)

A common failure for that symptom is the piston o-ring in the hydraulic cylinder under the seat. Some wrenching, but a cheap part. Take care - and welcome to OTT (edit - I see you have prior OTT ex$perience :eek: )
L2550 3-pt o-ring.jpg L2550 3pt o-ring.jpg

Last edited:

foresterdj

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
Nothing more aggravating than something that does not have the decency to stay broke.

Last night when I left the shop the arms were all the way down and control lever in the up position. This morning I walk in the shop and the arms are up! All I can figure is something was blocking a valve, (maybe an ice bubble?) and when it thawed, or otherwise cleared itself, the pressure in the line was enough to raise the arms. Very weird.

I ran them up and down several times, climbed up on them and jumped, all seems good. Oil level in sight glass is mid-way between the L and H and a nice honey color (I just changed it last year). I guess if it happens again I will plan to drain and fill with fresh oil and a new filter.

Thanks for the comments.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Nothing more aggravating than something that does not have the decency to stay broke.

Last night when I left the shop the arms were all the way down and control lever in the up position. This morning I walk in the shop and the arms are up! All I can figure is something was blocking a valve, (maybe an ice bubble?) and when it thawed, or otherwise cleared itself, the pressure in the line was enough to raise the arms. Very weird.

I ran them up and down several times, climbed up on them and jumped, all seems good. Oil level in sight glass is mid-way between the L and H and a nice honey color (I just changed it last year). I guess if it happens again I will plan to drain and fill with fresh oil and a new filter.

Thanks for the comments.
Glad all is well now.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Thanks for the comments.
Water in fluid will do what you have explained.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Were there extreme cold temps?

foresterdj

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
below zero, depends on what you call extreme. Tractor had not been running long, engine about half warmed up but hydraulic fluid/tranny definitely not.