Subframe Compatibility/Cross Reference

SJ_Bay

Equipment
L3400
May 23, 2021
United States
So brand new to forum and ownership. Have operated many brands on rental basis but finally brought my own home. Its a L3400D circa 2010. I then purchased a like new BH77, before purchasing I contacted local dealer about compatibility and subframe, came off a newer L3901, with Subframe BH4988. So they indicated BH77 was fine would need to add the remote and need a different subframe BH4976A. Sure not a problem. I assisted with the removal of the other subframe, figured I could list and sell to defray the new purchase. When I was under the newer machine and compared mounts it seemed similar enough to at least try and line up on my machine... Well everything lined up and appears to fit. I, I have not tightened anything up yet, I probably would have already tried to mount the BH but I still don't have the hydraulic kit. So I thought maybe the mounting spread would be different but it seems like it will fit. Does anyone have thoughts/experience/insight on this? I sent an inquiry to Kubota US Tech, not sure if/or when I will here back from them. I know part numbers can/will change for basically the same part and often happens when they improve on a part, like say made this subframe more heavy duty - but if that were the case you would think the dealer when he looked it up would have pulled the newer part number?!?

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Definetely not an expert on sub frames but if you say it bolted up to your machine that's a good start. If you measure the mounting width and its close then try it. Worst case is it won't work right away. Maybe only a slight tweak to make it work. Let us know what you find.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I looked at the assembly manual for the BH77.

170092B4-630D-49B9-839F-F326E46B7BDF.jpeg

the main components “appear” the same.

Difference seems to be the 4796 has a different fender support while the 4988 has the tool box relocation bracket.

I have the 4988 on my tractor and the fender bracket is removed completely.

Here is page 12 that the 4976 kit references

88D1A5DF-CF67-4566-B92B-3FCF154B81C2.jpeg

Also took measurement from the top of subframe best I could

90B60E74-FAD9-4A8E-811B-182B75D5DC82.jpeg

From outer edge to outer edge at the pin bosses is 22 inches

Reactions: 1 user

SJ_Bay

Equipment
L3400
May 23, 2021
United States
Fordtech thanks a million... I think this very much supports my theory... I did not get a manual with the backhoe and was actually going to go online... The pages are not to scale or don't have technical measurements but its interesting the similarity between those 2 kits. What was also great was your measurement on the pin bosses as it also confirmed as mounted on my unit the same. One of the last pieces of the puzzle before getting and installing the remote to run the hoe (tomorrow hopefully) was when I lined everything up I could see I was going to run into a distance issue with the fender bracket, which made me think either a delete or relocation and sure enough the manual indicates that's what needs to be done... This forum is a great resource, one I am sure I will peruse often and hopefully at some point be able to add useful content to as well. Like how to get more room or add length to the controls on the hoe operator station.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
You are good to go the L3400 with LA463 will interchange with L3901 and LA525 as others stated just need the hoses and if you need a fender brace for your 3400 I have one. Mine was on a L3700su and is now on a L3800 and I can’t use the brace

SJ_Bay

Equipment
L3400
May 23, 2021
United States
So I received a non-answer from Kubota USA "It might fit but the one called for in the specs is better and further that they don't have technical drawings of their parts?!?" That is the short answer (for the elongated non-answer see actual text below). The Manual Pics that Fordtech sent leads me to the following conclusion the “Part Numbers” I believe in this situation are more like “Kit Numbers” and show what they include… the non-technical drawing of the actual sub frame is identical for both kits BH4976A & BH4988 with some other doo-dads for fitment. Most notably the fender bracket is different, one kit includes a substitution (which is what I need) and the other a relocation bracket. The bracket would seem to be an easy fix and Sammy3700 on here seems to have just that solution! I just wanted an official acknowledgement that the main support arms are the same, which they can’t/won’t do.

(I do give them credit for responding in less thank 24 hours after a Sunday email)
The actual Answer:
Thank you for contacting Kubota Customer Satisfaction. Unfortunately we don't have any documentation that directly compares the technical specifications for the BH4988 to the BH4976A. We can confirm that the BH4976A is listed as compatible with your L3400. It's also approved for use with the L2800 and L3700SU. Often times the differences are so that a 3 point hitch or various attachments will still work properly with the subframe installed. I have no way to confirm that's the case here but we can only recommend that you use the intended subframe on your L3400.

Kind regards,
Jeff
Kubota Customer Satisfaction

adamjaco87

Equipment
L2501, BH77
Jan 7, 2024
New Jersey
I am looking to do the same thing that SJBay mentioned above. I bought a BH77 from a guy who had an L2800. I have a L2501 and when I looked up the BH77 manual, I noticed the main components of the subframe seemed to be the same. The one exception is the toolbox stay for the BH4988 versus the fender bracket for the BH4976A. I was able to get the subframe from him very cheaply and it looks like there's not too much modification needed. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

adamjaco87

Equipment
L2501, BH77
Jan 7, 2024
New Jersey
Thanks, whitetiger, much appreciated. If the subframes themselves line up on the tractor (which it seems they do from the initial poster), would you say it is as simple as combing through and seeing what would be missing from the 4988, buying those parts and installing them? This is my first time working on a subframe, but it seems simple enough. Thank you again for your help.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
That is what I would do. That was the reason I posted both kits and their part numbers.

Reactions: 1 user