Subaru u joint swap

Bing187

Equipment
B3300su
Oct 26, 2010
Rehoboth, Mass.
Hello all,
I’ve been going nuts trying to find an old thread about swapping Subaru brat u joints for the Kubota items on a 2011 RTV 900. Can’t find the one I’m looking for. I have it all disassembled, picked up one brat u joint and the cups fit perfectly, but the length of the joint itself is a little shorter, so if I put the clips on there will be about 1/8”-3/16” of slop. There was mention in one thread of a “minor modification “ to use the Subaru joints, but dang if I can find it in the threads. Assuming it’s either pushing the cups in further with some kind of spacer behind the clip, or just doubling up the clips, but I hate to put this bad boy back together to find that I did something I shouldn’t. Anyone have this info? Called the dealer this am, $137 APIECE from Kubota!!! Criminals.

Thanks in advance for any info. Great site.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Last edited:

Bing187

Equipment
B3300su
Oct 26, 2010
Rehoboth, Mass.
Thanks for the reply.

Those are too new. The threads mentioning the Subaru u joints were from 2012 I think, and they referenced an older thread. Mine are also for an RTV, not a tractor.

I ended up shimming behind the retaining clips with external snap rings, and some homemade bushing shims. The joints all seem snug, so we***8217;ll see how it goes together and how long it lasts. If I weren***8217;t so impatient, the thing to do would be to have 16 bushings machined to the correct thickness, but... I don***8217;t think in this application it will make much difference. Relatively low rpms and speed.

I don***8217;t have a part#, but I walked into my neighborhood parts store and asked for a Subaru brat u joint, circa 1985-1988, and I used 4 of them.

Last edited:

Todd C

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Feb 18, 2020
SW Mich
I just had a similar situation with my old (1995) Ford GT65 garden tractor. The mower deck is shaft driven and a u-joint was failing. OEM was $95.
I was able to find (sorry, don't have a link) a MOOG specification chart by size.
After measuring the old joint I found a MOOG part number and sourced ir from Amazon...$20 delivered.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
Hello all,
I’ve been going nuts trying to find an old thread about swapping Subaru brat u joints for the Kubota items on a 2011 RTV 900. Can’t find the one I’m looking for. I have it all disassembled, picked up one brat u joint and the cups fit perfectly, but the length of the joint itself is a little shorter, so if I put the clips on there will be about 1/8”-3/16” of slop. There was mention in one thread of a “minor modification “ to use the Subaru joints, but dang if I can find it in the threads. Assuming it’s either pushing the cups in further with some kind of spacer behind the clip, or just doubling up the clips, but I hate to put this bad boy back together to find that I did something I shouldn’t. Anyone have this info? Called the dealer this am, $137 APIECE from Kubota!!! Criminals.

Thanks in advance for any info. Great site.
Try www.theujointstore.com