Sub Soiler Too Large

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
The sub soiler I got with my BX2370 is too large and I'd like to trade it for something smaller + a little cash. Or If you have a BX, what sub soiler do you use and where to buy it? The main shank is 1" x 6"x 36", overall 30" x 44". If I can't find another I'll have to do some surgery on it. One of the main problems is that I can't lift it high enough. It will swing underneath the frame if the ground is level, but sometimes it wont and sometimes when it is up and under the frame, it will catch on a bump and swing out and start to dig. So I want one that is shorter from the 2 hitch pins to the end of the digging edge. This one measures 30". I think about 4" shorter would be good, 26" from the tip to the mounting pins.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Someone wants to sell me an older potato plow at a good price but it's far away and haven't seen pictures yet. He says I could just unbolt the plow blade and use it that way as a subsoiler. Any opinions? I could probably make a cutting blade to bolt on in place of the plow blade.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Replying to myself again.
Here are small pictures of the potato plow. I'm worried it's made for tilled soil and not up to the task of a subsoiler. He is asking $75, and it's a long ride. Any opinions?

Attachments

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I've got the subsoiler/middle buster combo from Heavy Hitch. Works awesome. The bolt and pin to adjust the depth is also nice as it lets you get more depth if you need it. I'd probably not use it on a much larger traffic but I can't see breaking any part of it (except the bolt which is really a shear bolt) with my BX.

https://heavyhitch.com/product/ripper-sub-soiler-potato-plow-middle-buster/

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
What do you call the part that you mount the Heavy Hitch into? Is that like a 2" receiver?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Replying to myself again.
Here are small pictures of the potato plow. I'm worried it's made for tilled soil and not up to the task of a subsoiler. He is asking $75, and it's a long ride. Any opinions?
It's going to make your little BX work HARD!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What do you call the part that you mount the Heavy Hitch into? Is that like a 2" receiver?
The heavy hitch is just that, the hitch you attach tools to it.
But yes it uses a 2" reciver to attach tools to it.

This is a heavy hitch:

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Although not nearly as easy to hook up, I suppose I could use my weight box receiver.

The heavy hitch is just that, the hitch you attach tools to it.
But yes it uses a 2" reciver to attach tools to it.

This is a heavy hitch:

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
Although not nearly as easy to hook up, I suppose I could use my weight box receiver.
One thing the guy's at heavy hitch warned me about when I got mine is that it puts a LOT of stress on the hitch receiver. They build their stuff for ground engagement. I've got a King Kutter and it has held up well in my rock filled heavy clay. Honestly I don't think my BX has enough traction to bend the King Kutter, or heavy hitch.

Huskerfan

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSTC, Grasshopper 725Dt
May 24, 2016
Iowa
Shear bolt should break before hitch bends. Mine did once, receiver hitch is fine.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
If yours is 30 inches from the TPH arms down, that sounds way too big.
I run the Tractor Supply subsoiler on my B7100. It is 20 inches for that same measurement so I can lift it enough to drive around. Not as deep a cut, but easier for a CUT or SCUT to pull as well. It is a simple design so the price is low. No shear pin, but I don’t think I can break it with my 16 hp!
;)

Attachments

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I looked at tractor supply and it looked to be on the weak side, but then all I've ever seen is my behemoth one. In the reviews there are a few that say a weld broke loose and the whole thing twisted up. I could beef up the welds, but then if anything happens they may say it's my fault.

The one REALLY bad review shows how the whole "shoe" bent. That one is nearly impossible to repair at even the best shop around. Well maybe if you cut the whole bottom off and make a new one. Again, I could beef it up, but really don't like the idea of paying all that for something I have to fix before I really use it.

On the good side, I think everyone who had trouble with them had gear drive since they all mention they had it in low 1st. I'm thinking a hydro drive may be a little more forgiving when hitting an immovable object? Maybe not?

I could take mine apart and shrink it down, but it's still going to be heavy, and heavy it IS!

The heavy hitch one I like except the price. It's a shame to have to buy two separate pieces, and I looked at the other attachments any don't think I'd ever have a need for anything else.

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
Did you ever try using your receiver to mount a subsoiler? I've been looking into subsoilers and really like the heavy hitch combo unit, but looking for alternate way to connect it. I have a Kubota B8160 weight box that I had modified to be quick hitch compatible and wouldn't mind adding a 2" receiver to it for connecting but would be worried it does not have the strength to withstand the stress from ground engagement.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Did you ever try using your receiver to mount a subsoiler? I've been looking into subsoilers and really like the heavy hitch combo unit, but looking for alternate way to connect it. I have a Kubota B8160 weight box that I had modified to be quick hitch compatible and wouldn't mind adding a 2" receiver to it for connecting but would be worried it does not have the strength to withstand the stress from ground engagement.
No I never did. I did however make a sort of trade for a smaller sub soiler. It's about perfect size for my little tractor, about the same size as the ones from tractor supply but built stronger.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
May I ask what you are going to use this for? Pulling in UF wire, water line, cable, of something else. I will make this statement for what ever your doing, do the cut several times. Remember weight is your friend with this, and your little guy dont weigh that much. So make your first cut just deep enough that you dont come to a stop maybe 2 inches, then go back and do it again another 2 or 3 inches. Until you get down as far as you want to be, and a big rock will stop you right now,,,,
Low range in 4WD slow and steady, think about what you want to do, and what your going to do it it dont work like you want. Sometimes line of sight isnt the best way to go. Just MHO

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I don't have a backhoe so I use it mainly to loosen soil before digging with the loader. Helps with small stump roots also.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Someone wants to sell me an older potato plow at a good price but it's far away and haven't seen pictures yet. He says I could just unbolt the plow blade and use it that way as a subsoiler. Any opinions? I could probably make a cutting blade to bolt on in place of the plow blade.
Wish you were closer, I grow spuds in my 2 acre garden and dig them manually every year. Of course I'd have to buy a compact tractor to work it but that isn't a problem.

Manual digging is tedious but the crop is always good.:)