Stupid Mistake

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
After I finished work today I wanted to ditch the side of my driveway which is 400' long and quite steep. The summer rains had filled one ditch with leaves and gravel and a trench had formed washing the driveway out. I had been using my pallet forks on my tractor so I unhooked the quick connect. Slide into the bucket and locked the quick connect arms down. I went up the driveway and tilted the bucket and started to dig. Suddenly I realized the right side of the bucket had come loose from the quick connect. I got off assessed the issue and then released the left side and back away from the bucket. The left QC arm plate was bent out , the right QC arm plate (the one which was not locked in place apperantly) was bent in. Dam. It would not lock back into the bucket. I drove to the pallet forks. Nope its bent won't slip onto the forks either. I drive up to a oak tree and push the left plate against it to bend it back. Then hook a strap on the oak and the right plate and yank it out. Back to the forks. I can slide in them now but need to apply my weight to them to lock the QC down. Now I try the bucket. It goes on. But something is bent. A word of advise, make SURE the QC is locked down completely when you switch from one to another.

moondog933

Equipment
M7040,Landpride Cutter RCF 2784,FEL LA 1153,FORKS PFL 3048,John Deere MX10
Jul 26, 2013
oberlin, la.
Hate to hear that WFM, I just purchased a new M7040 and it has the new QC on my FEL. I am a little concerned about back dragging my bucket , I don`t see enough iron to maybe prevent this from happening to me. I have already bent one of my forks down 6 inches due to the fork digging in the dirt and me not noticing the power of this 71 hp tractor...We live and learn I guess. Good luck with your repairs.

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Hate to hear that WFM, I just purchased a new M7040 and it has the new QC on my FEL. I am a little concerned about back dragging my bucket , I don`t see enough iron to maybe prevent this from happening to me. I have already bent one of my forks down 6 inches due to the fork digging in the dirt and me not noticing the power of this 71 hp tractor...We live and learn I guess. Good luck with your repairs.
Ya I'm worried about what I'm going to jack up with my m7040 with the front end loader since the first front end loader i every had . Done bent the tail wheel fork on the new cutter playing with the loader and not wacth'n behind me .

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
That which can be bent, can usually be straightened. If you can't do it or don't have the equipment to do it, somebody else probably does. ($)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It might sound a bit course,, but if ya aint bent something up you aint been workin with it,,, don't ask :D

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
That which can be bent can be unbent is usually true, but...

One poster here mentions a fork tine bent 6-inches.

If you have a 'real' forklift tine that is forged and mill-stamped (the 'melt' and 'heat treat' ID number) you now have a permanently bent fork. Trying to straighten that thing won't work. And if it does it will likely break unexpectedly. Heating won't work, nor will a press.

If not 'forged', a good welder or hydraulic press might work to your benefit.

And if in a commercial setting, OSHA will have a conniption about trying to straighten a forged fork tine.

If your frame survives, you can poke around and obtain replacement forks. I've found it's usually cheaper to buy the whole lash-up and keep the frame for a spare or use it for some kind of weld-up-kit tool carrier.

Please advise any experiences so we can all learn.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Well I finally got my tractor to the dealer for the 50 hr check up. While it was there I told the service manger of my bending the quick connector on the FEL. He call to say it was bent to bad and needed to be replaced. The cost was $629. with labor. I called my Kubota insurance and run the claim through them. I have a $250. deductible. The process took one day to receive a email confirming a check had been issued to my dealer. I'm just waiting for the part to arrive and a call to pick up my tractor. I know most frown on financing , even 0%, but its nice to have the insurance if there ever is an issue. And the Kubota insurance was hassle free to use.

Whiskey Papa

Equipment
B2920
Sep 21, 2013
Illinois
Similar thing almost happened to me. Travelling over some rough ground the QC pin must've vibrated the small pin out of the little hole it is supposed to sit in. I didn't notice it right away. I put the bucket down to back-drag some gravel, the pin came loose and the right side of the FEL popped up. Luckily, I was just dropping the bucket to back drag and wasn't lifting a heavy load. I guess I got lucky.

But I got to thinking about drilling a hole in the small, sliding rod that is in the pin. It make be ridiculous over-kill, but I'd feel better if I put a cotter pin in it to keep it in place.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Whats the old saying "an ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure"....I agree.