Stump removal with BH77

igizzzmo1

Feb 28, 2016
Elmira, Or
Today I did some dirt moving and grading as shown in the picks. Tomorrow the stumps are going down! I am going to put the BH77 back hoe to use and dig as many stumps out in a day as possible.

I have probably 300 full grown Douglas fir trees that were logged and all the stumps remain. I hope I got the right equipment. As hard as I have been pushing this tractor I really hope it lasts.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
You need a ripper in place of the bucket to dig out the stumps quicker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I agree.a ripper tooth will make pulling stumps easier. I had a cat mini ex last summer to dig a few stumps. It was brutal, oak tree was the worst. 6 foot deep and 6 across.

Take your time, first couple will try your patience,and you will have to move a couple times to loosen it. The bucket cylinder has the most power and i found working with machine close to stump gives you the most leverage.

Once i got bucket sort of under stump i would curl up and boom down,seemed to get bucket under with more leverage.

Small machine equals more bites to get the job done.
Not trying to disgourage, it will be difficult with a small machine.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Start with some small ones to practice and get some victories.
Dig out the sides and front first then the back side.

If you unbury a root or two cut them with chain saw or reciprocating saw.

There is also a ripper tooth that replaces the backhoe bucket that the videos show fast removal.
If I had many It would be worth it.

http://bxpanded.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=80

Have fun, work safe and send photos.

Ray

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Have you thought about a couple sticks of powder? :rolleyes:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Time for a ripper or an axe.

You can also try a winch with a few snatch blocks to multiply the force to break the roots. Though use rope like Amsteel and not wire cable as when something lets loose, steel cable is like a spring and will whip unless subdued with heavy blankets. Amsteel just drops to the ground and is safer.

I often just use an axe if there are just a few roots. A real sharpened axe cuts pretty good. Twenty swings should sever that big root in your picture.

As far as clay sticking in the bucket, withe the bucket in dump position., quickly working the dipper or swnig lever 'violently' wit often free up what is in the buskt. Though it can feel like a roller coaster ride on the tractor. Quick, little jerks back and forth. Sort of like snapping a towel.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Clay isn't really a big problem here, but a clean bucket sprayed down with the wife's out-of-date Pam cooking spray works for me.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I tried my recip with a coarse 3tpi blade, it wouldnt touch roots on my spruce trees. Chainsaw is ok, need a crappy chain and bar as you wouldnt want to ruin a good one.
Been there done that too......best have a chain you really do not care for....but if you are careful, it will work wonders.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I think if you have 300 that size, you'll be lucky to do 1 per day. Gonna really work that little tractor. You will find that as the stumps were live, the root hairs really grip the soil. As they die, it makes things a little easier. If it was me, I'd wait a year, and get the closest ones to the house, with the kubota. The big ones, I'd burn out, using the salt peter in the drilled holes in the stump trick, with a burn barrel on top, as a chimney. search Youtube for burning stumps out, there are descriptions out there...:D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have been thinking about this, not knowing the size of the stumps but you might want to give up on digging them all out. A large stump grinder wil make short work of them compared to anything else. I rented a small one a couple years ago,we did 40 small stumps in a long day. Biggest one was 12".im betting a large self propelled grinder would be the ticket.

igizzzmo1

Feb 28, 2016
Elmira, Or
Update, I have enough slash fuel to keep it burning for awhile. I gave up on the dig. Even if I got it broke loose my little tractor would not be able to drag it off.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Didn't have time to post this earlier. The best way to burn out stumps, is to drill some 1" holes in the stump, then pack the holes with KNO3 aka salt peter, aka potassium nitrate salt. Then Cork the holes, easiest way is with a home made dowel of the same diameter. You can make the dowels with a drill mounted tool, which can be used on whatever limbs and sticks you have laying around. Then wait a year for the salt peter, to change the stump into something that will burn rapidly. I like to take a 55 gallon drum, or an old tractor rim. and use that to surround the stump. I have seen some videos, like the one below, where you hook up a leaf blower, or an old furnace blower, to pump air in, to get a real hot fire, real fast. The idea here is to create a chimney effect, and use some sort of blower to supply the air...

With the old tractor rim method, you can also lay a grill on top, and cook, while you work...:D:D

https://youtu.be/Kw0rmP5Prq0

Tenon cutter:

https://youtu.be/maWBJbMjEFU :D:D

Reactions: 1 user

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
Start with some small ones to practice and get some victories.
Dig out the sides and front first then the back side.

If you unbury a root or two cut them with chain saw or reciprocating saw.

There is also a ripper tooth that replaces the backhoe bucket that the videos show fast removal.
If I had many It would be worth it.

http://bxpanded.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=80

Have fun, work safe and send photos.

Ray
I wish they made that to fit my B26 with BT820 hoe!!

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
If you want to remove 300 stumps of that size, you'll be money ahead in the long run to rent a big excavator like a CAT 320 with a hydraulic thumb. You'll spend more time moving between stumps than digging them out. This is a 1 weekend job with a machine that size. Those machines aren't cheap, but the work they perform per hour is unbelievable. You might even find that hiring a professional excavation contractor is more cost effective when you factor in your time and trouble. Plus, they do this for a living so they're pretty good at it. (Disclaimer: My dad owns an excavation company. I might be biased...)

Reactions: 1 users

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
What ToolJunkie said.......rent a stump grinder. You'll come out way ahead.