Stump Grinder

KTinBisND

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Mar 19, 2023
Bismarck, North Dakota
Leaning towards buying a stump grinder for my B3200. Lots of looking at specs and videos; looks like either the Baumalight 1P24 or Woodland Mills WG24 are about the right size/type for what I need. looks like the WG24 is about $2,400, while the 1P24 is around $3,600. They seem so similar in virtually all respects, anyone know why the huge price difference? Is the Baumalight that much better in some way I'm not seeing; I'd be interested in recommendations. Thanks!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Woodland Mills WG24 only comes in Green! :ROFLMAO:

Otherwise they do look very similar in operation. I have the WG24 behind my B2650. No complaints, it works great!! You just don't want to find buried metal with any of them.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
X2 on the WG24. It's been a beast for me in tackling many stumps. I think its a bit heavier than the Bauma as well which is a plus.

Stump 2_3.JPG

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
X4 the WG24 is awesome! It’s a work out for your neck unless you are high speed enough to have a set up like bird doggers ;)

• Haha

KTinBisND

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Mar 19, 2023
Bismarck, North Dakota
Thanks everyone so far. The looking behind/neck issue would be the same for either. I've seen a couple of neat videos where they've mounted an RV camera to watch the rear action; very interesting. So a question to anyone who loves their Baumalight 1P24; why is it worth $1,200 more than the WG24?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sorry, can’t help with Baumalight experience. Just another upvote for the WG-24.
2B509616-76B0-46AB-B4C5-3520221D543D.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I use a wireless dashcam for mine. Have the camera on a small tripod with an old UPS sealed lead acid battery. Works well. Did it that way just because it was stuff I had on hand. I might make a bracket someday to mount the camera to the grinder. But I like the advantage of putting the camera on the ground anywhere I want.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I use a wireless dashcam for mine. Have the camera on a small tripod with an old UPS sealed lead acid battery. Works well. Did it that way just because it was stuff I had on hand. I might make a bracket someday to mount the camera to the grinder. But I like the advantage of putting the camera on the ground anywhere I want.
This is genius, making it really simple. I will try this next time

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
This was/is my remote camera install
It was relatively cheap and works fairly well, but still with a few issues needing attention:

1. The sun or bright light on the cabless tractor easily washes out the screen's view when you can't attack the stump from a different angle to prevent that. A cardboard visor over the screen helps a little.

2. With the camera installed on the bracket I made, you get a perfect view of the stump during cutting. But when the grinder is lifted up....as in backing up to locate the stump and get into position for grinding.....the view can be distorted and can also be quickly "washed out" for some reason. Once lowered to start grinding, the view returns to proper. This issue is more of a minor inconvenience when first getting set up or locating the stump while backing up to it.

But if you're going to grind more than a couple of stumps in one session, it's definitely helpful in removing a lot of the neck strain from the "over the shoulder" looking.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
This was/is my remote camera install
It was relatively cheap and works fairly well, but still with a few issues needing attention:

1. The sun or bright light on the cabless tractor easily washes out the screen's view when you can't attack the stump from a different angle to prevent that. A cardboard visor over the screen helps a little.

2. With the camera installed on the bracket I made, you get a perfect view of the stump during cutting. But when the grinder is lifted up....as in backing up to locate the stump and get into position for grinding.....the view can be distorted and can also be quickly "washed out" for some reason. Once lowered to start grinding, the view returns to proper. This issue is more of a minor inconvenience when first getting set up or locating the stump while backing up to it.

But if you're going to grind more than a couple of stumps in one session, it's definitely helpful in removing a lot of the neck strain from the "over the shoulder" looking.
I am using a cup holder cell phone mount for the display of the dash cam. Sometime I need to fab up a better option as I have to look 90 degrees to the left to see the display. Also yes the sun is an issue but I can hold the display in my hand as a fallback option... Cab's and woods don't go together (unless you own a cab glass company)!

CDog215

Equipment
Woodland Mills WG24
Oct 8, 2023
Molino, FL
Quick question for anyone... I have a 24mm wrench that works great removing and installing all the teeth on my WG24 except the ones on the very edge. It won't fit in the slot and I'm afraid if I get a regular socket it still won't fit. Anyone have a suggestions on the best tool to remove the nut on those teeth (again... the ones on the very edge that face downward)?

Also, regarding the neck wrenching technique, I did two stumps with my WG24 and went to Amazon and got these. They work GREAT! The magnets attach to the monitor, which I put on the hood of my tractor, and the camera that I put in the best place and angle to watch the WG24 do its magic. That way I can simply look at the monitor in front of me (no neck wrenching). For a total of $70 for both, fantastic purchase.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
There has been more than a few sockets/wrenches ground down a bit, to fit into tight holes, that have lasted for years. I am sure I have a few in my tool boxes.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Anyone ever use a drone and its camera instead of the camera mounting options above?

Knuckle_Head

Equipment
Kubota L6060
May 5, 2023
USA
I just use a GoPro mounted to the underside of the drawbar on mine and then use the live preview in the gopro app. Works great and since I already had the gopro, it was free. :)