Stump bucket

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Hello all, In the thinkin stages of buying a stump bucket for my L3200 to remove a bunch of autumn olive clusters. Just wondering if anyone has used one on this size of tractor and how well it worked. Thanks in advance for any advise!

Bryan.phillips07

Equipment
MX4800
Jan 28, 2018
RUSHVILLE
I am considering the same thing. I've been looking at them and they range from $250 - 1200. I have a MX4800 will I be wasting my time with a stump bucket?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For an L get a lighter weight model, for the MX mid weight model will work good.

Now for the negatives:
You need a lot of ballast weight, like to the max, 1000lbs for the L and 1500lbs for the MX.
It's hard to work with a stump bucket on a tractor as you have to guess to where it is and at what angle its at most of the time, because they are hard to see.

They can be very useful in removing stumps that are smaller, your not going to pull out a cottonwood with a 12" base.
On a tractor they are good for about 6" max, but it does depend on the type of tree and the soil conditions.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Keep in mind if you buy a stump bucket the smaller the pointy front end the better [emoji4] Many are to wide.
Also its easy to strain your hydraulic lines up front and perhaps the front end loader arms and supports. Therefore it is a real good idea to keep all 4 tires on the ground at all times. This will help a lot to prevent over stressing things. I learned the above rule the hard way......

No running into the stumps at speed.

Take your time and work from different angles.

With all of that said they can do a lot of work at a nice price.

It’s my rig in the picture taking Bodark trees out.

https://www.everythingattachments.c...Worx-Stump-Bucket-p/cal-stump-bucket-worx.htm

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Redlands said:
It’s my rig in the picture taking Bodark trees out.

Not “bodark” but “bois d’arc”. French word means arc of the bow. Wood is springy and good for bow (bow and arrow)

Horse apple and Osage orange are same tree

Took me years to figure out that bodark was wrong spelling since that is how it sounds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Seems to me a stump bucket is more of a skid steer tool than a CUT one. Weight, power, and visibility are wrong. I would go with a narrow backoe bucket or dedicated ripper tooth on a hoe if you can.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Thank you Russell.

TRA you are correct that a skid steer works great with a stump bucket. Tractor does the job but needs the operator to be patient and a careful. Just depends on what is available and in the budget.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Stump buckets are crazy awesome on the right skid steer. I've removed hundred and hundreds of trees (mostly easy cedars) with one. On a tractor it's much harder to see where you're working although, for the money, it's obviously a much cheaper route than a backhoe.

Here are a few pics of both applications.

Attachments

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Ha! It's probably thousands but I didn't want to sound like a complete dufus. Most of that was on a 580 acre piece of land between Wellston and Meridian. I also cleared hundreds (not thousands) of small to medium oak trees for a development near Lake Arcadia using the stump bucket. I finally had to put some reinforcing welds on it. That Kubota SVL95 is just a beast.

Last edited:

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
For an L get a lighter weight model, for the MX mid weight model will work good.

Now for the negatives:
You need a lot of ballast weight, like to the max, 1000lbs for the L and 1500lbs for the MX.
It's hard to work with a stump bucket on a tractor as you have to guess to where it is and at what angle its at most of the time, because they are hard to see.

They can be very useful in removing stumps that are smaller, your not going to pull out a cottonwood with a 12" base.
On a tractor they are good for about 6" max, but it does depend on the type of tree and the soil conditions.

As Wolfman and others said, "It Depends"

I am pleased with my little L2501 and recent Titan lightweight stump bucket.
Right now the clay is hard and dry here and I am lucky to get the front of the spear buried half way. The front end weight of the tractor probably is less than 1000 lbs with the wheels off the ground, and that's fine as I dont want to tear up this little rig. But it should help me dig a few transplant holes so when we get some moisture, I can move some native rabbit brush and 4wing saltbush shrubs to more suitable locations. For really digging out stumps, No Way with my little rig, but "It depends on ground conditions". I would say look at your tractor weight and HP (and soil conditions) and buy accordingly.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Keep in mind that if you have the front wheels off the ground and rotate the bucket and or push on it a bit to much you can pop hydraulic lines. Been there done that. Also can twist you torsion bar on the FEL. Try to keep all the wheels on the ground if you can. Just Info I and a couple others have learned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWexcavator

Equipment
Kubota U35 Excavator Chevy 1-ton Dump truck B2650
Jun 19, 2017
San Juan islands, Wa San Juan
Keep in mind that if you have the front wheels off the ground and rotate the bucket and or push on it a bit to much you can pop hydraulic lines. Been there done that. Also can twist you torsion bar on the FEL. Try to keep all the wheels on the ground if you can. Just Info I and a couple others have learned
Why would you pop the hydraulic lines? Too much pressure or would they be stretched out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Pulled the trigger and scored a new stump bucket by Storm. Looks awesome and if it ever quits snowing and I can actually see the stumps I'll be testing it out! Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited: