Stump bucket- will a new 4701 be better than 3901?

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
I'm looking to buy my first and most likely last tractor

One priority on my new property will be to pull ground level cedar stumps from limestone terrain.

Will the 4701 fel be more effective enough for the price difference?

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
"Buy as big a tractor as you can afford, for the spaces you need to work in." - old timer advice from my pap.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
How many acres, how many stumps, what other work will it do, grading, leveling, digging, trenching, brush hogging, carry-all, forks, 4 in one bucket uses, backhoe uses, small tractor with a backhoe to dig, and a 4 in 1 or forks to carry, will it do the job instead of a larger tractor?
Emissions crap, are there any machines still in inventory somewhere that are the older units without all the emissions crap and electronics to fail? Lots of different options/uses to think about.
I suppose I'm saying only you can make the choice, after the cedar stumps are pulled what will be the use of the tractor for the next 20 years. You may be able to get away with a smaller tractor with added versatility and implements, but if you want the extra weight and power and money isn't tight, the larger may be the go.

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Since the L4701 is a larger frame, it will have an easier time doing the heavy work.

The chances of finding a L4600 with FWA in inventory is not going to happen.

Pat

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
I made the mistake of letting some cedar choppers onto the property early. They left all their stumps 3-6" above ground. I could easily find more than enough stumps I want gone.

I hate working tools too hard and my work schedule is normally very tight

There will be plenty of box blading rocks,leveling, and dirt work also

Will inherit maintaining mother in law's established 30 acres too

Financially the 4701 will bust my savings, but we will still eat just fine.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
The MX will certainly have a more robust loader. Stump buckets can cause a lot of strain on loaders. So I would definitely entertain an even larger machine than the L4701.

Perhaps renting a Bobcat with stump attachment to clear the stumps, and go with a tractor size appropriate for all other tasks?

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I don't think either tractor will do it. I have been clearing cedars on my place and my tractor won't do it. Granted I have a L2501. I have had a Dozer guy knocking them down. I asked him if I were to cut some of the cedars down how much stump should I leave him. He told me 3 feet but preferred the whole tree. Those suckers don't pop out easy. The trees in the heavy limestone have shallower roots but then you have rock to contend with. You may want to consider a stump grinder. That low to the ground they won't be easy to get out.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have a lot of cedar trees to remove you might consider a tree shear. Hire someone with a skid steer and have them do it. They charge by the hour and pretty well can tell you how much they can get done is a set amount of time. Then you have no ground uprooted.

With tools available today they can grind the the stump below grade a few inches with no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri3bn82oYTI

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
I had sort of the same issue. Started out looking at a L3901 and realized it wouldn't lift as high as needed. Moved up to the L4701, lift height met my needs. Dealer had a MX5200 parked next to it, after pricing out both and looking at the difference in rebates, I bought the 5200. Much beefier model, lots more power, turbo, for not that much more $$.