Stuck / un-stuck

Puddle

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 14, 2017
Sandpoint
Since I'm new to plowing snow with my tractor (Any plowing for that matter), I find myself stuck on occasion, usually when I am trying to push to far into the berm I built up. So I grabbed my two car-loading ladder ramps (Heavy steel) and strap them to the 3 point. I figured they would add a little ballast to the rear end and on that very rare occasion ;) I find my front tires spinning, I use the FEL to lift the front end and throw the ladder racks under the tires, let er down and un-stuck!

Compliments from a rookie plower.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Since I'm new to plowing snow with my tractor (Any plowing for that matter), I find myself stuck on occasion, usually when I am trying to push to far into the berm I built up. So I grabbed my two car-loading ladder ramps (Heavy steel) and strap them to the 3 point. I figured they would add a little ballast to the rear end and on that very rare occasion ;) I find my front tires spinning, I use the FEL to lift the front end and throw the ladder racks under the tires, let er down and un-stuck!

Compliments from a rookie plower.
I take it you don't have chains yet... I say yet because if you don't you'll want them! ;)

They make dealing with our snow 100% better! :D

3AMranch

Feb 23, 2018
Wenatchee, WA
I'm still torn between chains or studs, but yes I need something. What would you recommend?

Go Chains! This was the first winter with my tractor. (B20) It came with chains. My neighbor has a brand new L series with no chains. My tractor plowed circles around his. Mile and half drive way. Heaviest single snow fall 1 ft moves it no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have studs on the front of my L3450 (I have foam filled fronts), I can't use chains on the rears because of too wide of tires (they are really wide), spacers would push them out really to far.
It does really good in normal snow, but heavy snow or ice it gets real fun to run! :D

On my Bobcat I ran it the first year with no chains, then I put chains on all four, night and day difference!
It's a beast, you have to get really stupid with it to get it stuck!

Also if you haven't gotten studded tires for your Autos, do!

Last edited:

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
I didn’t run chains this year (my first year with it). My driveway is shale, long and half is steep. The Ag tires did way better than I expected. Only got stuck once, down in a hole. All ice under the snow. Had to give it a tug with my truck. Chains next year for sure.

seagullplayer

Aug 23, 2017
Indiana
This was my first year, it did much better than I thought with the terf savers!

But I need to go with ag and see what that gets me.
Mostly for the spring mud.

It is rare that we have more than six inches at a time here in Southern Indiana.
We had freezing rain and ice before the snow fall this last go around. That made it harder to get down to the gravel. But I still think that's better than wet snow with soft ground under would have been.

My biggest hurdle is getting it out of my barn in bad weather. I'm gonna work on that this year.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It is rare that we have more than six inches at a time here in Southern Indiana.
Just to give you an Idea of snow situation up here, I have 2 1/2 feet of solid, packed, completely untouched snow on my place (same area as Puddle), and that was after a really good Feb early melt off (very unusual), I have berms that are 8 feet tall and 10+ feet deep, and yes it's snowing more as I type! :eek: