Stuck in the Mud: How Right to Repair Could Save Farmers Billions

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
and if left to the consumers, it will be decades before ev is viable for everyone.

just for an example. I looked into this a good bit. Say I wanted to buy a tesla model S. (I don't but I checked into this for my own knowledge). I can charge it from a level 1 (110v) standard outlet. The charge rate is 3 miles per hour, in other words it takes one hour to charge to an effective range of 3 miles. It's about 40 miles to/from work. At 3 MPH charge rate, it would take roughly 13 hours to charge, assuming I didn't go anywhere else, didn't use the heat pump (a/c), didn't get stuck in traffic, etc. If I did a normal day, go somewhere for lunch, then go out after work for groceries, etc, it would never charge back up fully on level 1 charging, and by the end of the week would be stone dead, car would have to SIT all weekend to charge back up so it could be used again Monday to go to work. Great, put a Level 2 charging "station" in. In other words, install a NEMA 1450 outlet in the garage to charge the car, charges twice as fast roughly 6 miles per hour rate. I could do that. Except, I'm in an older house, 100A service. No space left in the panel for another pair of breakers (would require two). Because it's a 100A service, it also has the appropriate size wire from the house to the utility pole, in the appropriately sized conduit. It's a 245 foot run, under two driveways. So in order to put another breaker in, electrician says I'll have to upgrade to 2" conduit, 2/0 copper or 3/0 Aluminum wire (minimum), of course it has to go under the driveways so the driveway will have to be dug up to do the pipe/trench. Then the panel, outlet, and charger cord-which is about $600. Grand total? Close to $20,000. I don't have that money. Neither do many other people. So this begs the question, how to those of us who don't have the money, plan to do it? WE CAN'T. I realize everyone's situation is different. Lets think about this too. Apartments. Say a complex has 100 residents. 100 cars. Say every single car needs to be charged all at the same time (at night usually). Remember, currently night time is off-peak time for electric usage, but that will certainly change. Last year we had rolling power outages, and Entergy was asking people to "conserve" electric usage. Who's going to pay for the infrastructure "improvements"? I guarantee it won't be the government, it'll be you and I, the consumers, and in the end EV will have zero benefit to anyone except the higher-up's. Zero. Yet consumers will have higher costs of living.

The more I think and research this, the more pissed off I get, and I think I'll quit now before I get too pissed!
It's a little different on my end if I want to go EV since I have virgin property.

Getting the permits together now. Energy will run new service free of charge. I just have to set a pole and have a meter loop installed next to the build site.

I'm planning on going big up front with a 400amp service. With two separate 200amp disconnects when I have the meter installed.

One 200amp disconnect for a future house. And the other for a shop and an RV pad.

I'll need a 50amp hookup for the camper pad. Plus a 110 breaker for the septic pump. The rest will be for the shop.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
well Ontario Hydro boldly announced the new 'off peak' rates... going from 7.4 down to 2.4 cents per kWh BUT ,shh, don't say this too loudly...dinner peak rate (.4PM to 9PM ) is going UP to 24 (yes twenty four) cp kWh !!!!
man I've tied a couple spreadsheets to figure out how much MORE my bill will be, for the same number of electrons, and it's not looking good. They've changed the 3 peak zones into 4 and they overlap of course. Only way to 'win' would be to use power from 11PM until 7 AM ( night shift...)
and of course the carbon tax is on top of that ( about a 34% addition....buy $3 hydro, $1 tax )

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
If it can be of any consolation: a kWh in Belgium (for household consumption) now costs about EUR .54 (= USD .59).

well Ontario Hydro boldly announced the new 'off peak' rates... going from 7.4 down to 2.4 cents per kWh BUT ,shh, don't say this too loudly...dinner peak rate (.4PM to 9PM ) is going UP to 24 (yes twenty four) cp kWh !!!!
man I've tied a couple spreadsheets to figure out how much MORE my bill will be, for the same number of electrons, and it's not looking good. They've changed the 3 peak zones into 4 and they overlap of course. Only way to 'win' would be to use power from 11PM until 7 AM ( night shift...)
and of course the carbon tax is on top of that ( about a 34% addition....buy $3 hydro, $1 tax )

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It's a little different on my end if I want to go EV since I have virgin property.

Getting the permits together now. Energy will run new service free of charge. I just have to set a pole and have a meter loop installed next to the build site.

I'm planning on going big up front with a 400amp service. With two separate 200amp disconnects when I have the meter installed.

One 200amp disconnect for a future house. And the other for a shop and an RV pad.

I'll need a 50amp hookup for the camper pad. Plus a 110 breaker for the septic pump. The rest will be for the shop.
boss is building a cabin, out east. Kinda in Duck country. They're putting in two L2 chargers for EV. One reason, it looks like we'll all have to have em at some point and two, they're going to buy two Electric UTV's to keep out there for "us" (mostly them) to use. They were saying today that they're going to let us guys use the cabin when we want, just make sure to plan accordingly so that not everyone is there at once.

I'd sure like to be out of the city though. I really ain't "in" town, but there's a highway just down the road, and the traffic on school days is atrocious. I'm burned out on it, just want a place to get away for a weekend like I used to have in Nebraska (river cabin). Unfortunately the cost of property goes up faster than my income so it looks like my dream is going remain, a dream for a long time to come. GF has a place, family land, that I was supposed to be able to buy cheap enough for "me" to afford (barely) and then her folks decided that they'd just put it on the market, half a million. About 450,000 more than they told me I could buy it for. And I wanted it--BAD. Just like getting kicked in the guts.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user