Strut Uses - Not Directly Related to Tractor

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The goal here is to see what other uses we've come up with and not mess up Trimley's thread.

I'm sure we've found applications that could be of interest to others. Many times just seeing something what another poster has done is helpful when approaching a similar (or even unrelated) task. Here's something to get it started.

Back in 1990 I was assigned a Bronco II to replace a long-in-tooth pickup. Still wanted to haul occasionally. Cheapest solution was to build a small trailer with a capacity similar to a small pickup. This year I re-decked it and made new fenders (a friend wrecked one fender when he borrowed it) and replaced the wiring and lighting with LED's. The deck is larger than 4'x8' and it's titled at 3K#. The two longitudinal pieces of strut are wider than 4' in between and they're welded to the cross pieces of steel under the bed. The strut is flush with the deck boards.

Tiedowns were made from strut nuts and eye bolts. The nuts are welded on the eye bolts with a big washer and a wingnut. The nut is oriented the same as the eye, so you know which way it's pointed. The end of the eye bolt extends through the slot-shaped holes in the strut to help prevent the eye bolt from moving. Additionally, when the nut is in the lock position, the wingnut tightens the washer to the strut so it doesn't move.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Not mess up my thread? You're kidding, right? It went off topic on the 2nd or 3rd post.

People have an issue of not staying focused "On The Topic"

Once it starts, it snowballs, like 99.9% of the other threads.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Not mess up my thread? You're kidding, right? It went off topic on the 2nd or 3rd post.

Issues! I think we all have some! ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Guilty as charged; however, in my defense, the question mark at the end of the title kind of made me think that all ideas were OK.

And I did lift my bucket into the bed of my truck once when I had already chained the General Lee down and forgot to load it...so there's that too.... ;)

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Allow me to get this thread back on track for at least 1 post.

I used a couple pieces of strut to mount the solar panels for my barn. They are attached to saddle pieces made from square tubing that are clamped to the 2” pipe frame with U-bolts. Loosening 4 nuts allows the angle of the panels to be adjusted in the spring and fall.
IMG_7204.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user