Struggling during the last snow storm.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Ya swapping is a bit of a pain, but the boxblade is a very capable sub when pushing, pulling, and moving lots of snow around. It does ice sheet rough-up with the scarifiers real nice, too.
20231129_082641~2.jpg
20231226_123217.jpg

I did a lot of research before buying my box blade. I've watched a ton of videos of guys using them in snow. I really like how close I can get backing up to a building, I drag the snow away......just not roll it over, I can dump the snow and push it into a pile. The funny thing in guys complain about heavy wet snow clogging up in it. I have no problem. It was a light fluffy 3 inch snow I was filled up and spilling over. Each snow fall I switch out to see what's easier. The straight blade is faster and I can wing snow into the ditch so when the snow plow comes he doesn't push it back into my driveway ( the county will actually report you if you push snow over the road and into the ditch, and I don't like piling snow at the end of the driveway but had no choice this last storm with the frozen piles now the plows have to swing out, so it saves for extra clean up and my mailbox) but I really like the finish and moving the snow in one spot with the box blade.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's the TYPE of snow not inches that determines how often I get outside.

If from the east, it's more 'lake effect - WET' snow, so I go out often
From the west, it's dry...it'll keep, not a big deal.....

I still shake my head when I see guys tossing snow to the left of their driveways...
..then plow comes by and 'returns' it.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Got a couple friends with the inverted type. They love them. I’ve never used one so can’t really speak on that. I do get the drift issue. My 7060 doesn’t have a mid pto so I was looking at running from the rear to the front. Even more added to the cost. Was around 10,000 when I got my 7060 so I just kept the 3ph iH 80 I already owned. I have seem a few in the 4500-6000 used price that I’d have to make work with my loaders mounts plus usually new hoses all around. Just to much work and cost for what I need to use it for. I don’t do any commercial snow just my own and a few favours along the way.
And as @Hkb82 just reminded me: With a factory Kubota front snow blower mounted I'd lose the front end loader completely! That's HUGE to me.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You should consider a selfpowered SSQA snowblower. NO loss of loader, 30 seconds to attach.
I made one, hasn't snowed enough to put on in 3 years.....
made a snowpusher, hasn't snowed enough to try it AND I'll need a squeegee tomorrow if the pregnant weather girl is right.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Here's a turnkey solution at the local Kubota dealer. Front blower, backhoe, grapple, rear blade, cab etc. (y)

If that were closer to me I would be all over it. I would sell my BX23S with a cab and get that unit.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Found some decent snow clearing job photos to share from 4 years ago. Gosh my equipment looked WAY newer then... lol...
IMG_20190302_153629946.jpg
IMG_20200205_124130543.jpg
IMG_20190302_170548621.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
You should consider a selfpowered SSQA snowblower. NO loss of loader, 30 seconds to attach.
I made one, hasn't snowed enough to put on in 3 years.....
made a snowpusher, hasn't snowed enough to try it AND I'll need a squeegee tomorrow if the pregnant weather girl is right.
I worked at a cih dealer that sold Kubota and delivered a tractor set up with one like that. A pretty interesting piece that could eat some drifts.

Today we're supposed to have freezing rain and 1-3 inches of wet sloppy snow from 6 am to 2 pm........looking at the hourly maybe a dusting at 11 am.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
By no means am I a snow or tractor expert but I plowed snow professionally for a company for 15 years with with a skid loader or 1 ton truck and plowed for the local township 2 years. I've been running farm tractors since I was 8 so I kind of have a general idea on those things.

I use to plow with a 700cc atv but now up graded to a lx2610 open station I use to plow my 200 yard horseshoe gravel driveway. I use the loader and a rear blade to clear the snow. Usually 25 minutes 3 to 4 passes Im done. I sometimes use a box blade too. I really like that to back up to buildings, leaves a nice finish, and I can dump it it where I want instead of rolling it over making " buffers" around the driveway.

This last storm dumped 10 inches of snow and 50 mph winds. I had 4 ft drifts in my driveway and for 8 hours it was just scoop, drive and dump was the name of the game. Other spots had 6 to 8 inches of snow, and with the rear blade angled taking half a pass I really had to steer with the brakes. I couldn't get out in my marsh to Groom the atv or snowmobile trails. I'd either bottom out the tractor or loose traction pushing with the loader. I couldn't push backwards with the blade either.

Granted this was a big storm, my atv wouldn't of had a chance against it, and a skidloader or a 1ton truck would've struggled too. I was just curious if anyone else struggled or struggles with bigger storms. I know every snow is differrnt and sometimes requires different tools. I feel defeated with this last storm......even though we only get something like that every 3 years. I'm really thinking of a snow blower after this storm. I have an idea on a brand and prefer a 3 point just hard on squeezing the trigger on that much money on a maybe use.

My tractor is completely stock. No extra weight or fluid in the tires, and r14's. I can tell a difference when I have the box blade on vs the straight blade for rear weight. I'm sure those things would help to a point but again I guess I'm just seeing if others struggle too........trying to make myself feel good haha. In my opinion I think a blower would be a nice plan of attack.

Thanks for your input.
Not quite the same, but I had a b series with R4s. Was totally useless in the snow until I added chains, then it was a beast. I read online and/or was told the tractor needed spaces in order to run chains, but I got by without spacers as long as they were tight.

Also, I like my snowpusher. I’m sure an angled blade would sometimes be better, and certainly a snowblower would sometimes be better. But the pusher was the cheapest option (aside from buying nothing and just using the bucket). And there isn’t any snow the pusher doesn’t work for. Best part about it is now constant dumping bucket and readjusting to get the angle just right. Just get the pusher level once and push all day. I liked it enough on the b to get another one with my new machine.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Not quite the same, but I had a b series with R4s. Was totally useless in the snow until I added chains, then it was a beast. I read online and/or was told the tractor needed spaces in order to run chains, but I got by without spacers as long as they were tight.

Also, I like my snowpusher. I’m sure an angled blade would sometimes be better, and certainly a snowblower would sometimes be better. But the pusher was the cheapest option (aside from buying nothing and just using the bucket). And there isn’t any snow the pusher doesn’t work for. Best part about it is now constant dumping bucket and readjusting to get the angle just right. Just get the pusher level once and push all day. I liked it enough on the b to get another one with my new machine.
Thank you! I never understood the mentality of a snow pusher over a bucket. Now I do.... no "bucket angle" required!

So, when I need to lift snow off of my driveway and dump it off the side of the driveway.... Oh wait... that doesn't work with a snow pusher.

But the angle adjustment isn't necessary! Cool!

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Found some decent snow clearing job photos to share from 4 years ago. Gosh my equipment looked WAY newer then... lol...
View attachment 120865 View attachment 120863 View attachment 120864
Is that a gravel lane or just a mowed path? I have some

With the lighter snows I've been playing around with the rear box blade and using the bucket . I've been really thinking about a pusher. You're right it gets old floating the bucket, tilting the bucket and chasing windrows.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
Thank you! I never understood the mentality of a snow pusher over a bucket. Now I do.... no "bucket angle" required!

So, when I need to lift snow off of my driveway and dump it off the side of the driveway.... Oh wait... that doesn't work with a snow pusher.

But the angle adjustment isn't necessary! Cool!
I mean, if you have to actually lift it off the driveway to get it over a guardrail or something, then yeah I guess it wouldn’t work. But I just have grass on the sides of my drive, so I push it right off, and if needed lift the bucket as I’m pushing to get tall piles.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I mean, if you have to actually lift it off the driveway to get it over a guardrail or something, then yeah I guess it wouldn’t work. But I just have grass on the sides of my drive, so I push it right off, and if needed lift the bucket as I’m pushing to get tall piles.
I get it.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I was thinking about making a poor man's pusher out of a farm tire and quick plate, it's still on my mind but I like to roll the piles to save room, and for my son to go sledding. I could switch to the bucket for that and even though it wouldn't take much really don't want to be constantly be switching stuff out. The bucket is what saved me this last storm. Scooping my way through. But with a blower wouldn't have to worry but then need the bucket to backdrag. Again though everyone has different snow and different techniques. It might not work for one person but the next person it does and that's all, alright.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
By no means am I a snow or tractor expert but I plowed snow professionally for a company for 15 years with with a skid loader or 1 ton truck and plowed for the local township 2 years. I've been running farm tractors since I was 8 so I kind of have a general idea on those things.

I use to plow with a 700cc atv but now up graded to a lx2610 open station I use to plow my 200 yard horseshoe gravel driveway. I use the loader and a rear blade to clear the snow. Usually 25 minutes 3 to 4 passes Im done. I sometimes use a box blade too. I really like that to back up to buildings, leaves a nice finish, and I can dump it it where I want instead of rolling it over making " buffers" around the driveway.

This last storm dumped 10 inches of snow and 50 mph winds. I had 4 ft drifts in my driveway and for 8 hours it was just scoop, drive and dump was the name of the game. Other spots had 6 to 8 inches of snow, and with the rear blade angled taking half a pass I really had to steer with the brakes. I couldn't get out in my marsh to Groom the atv or snowmobile trails. I'd either bottom out the tractor or loose traction pushing with the loader. I couldn't push backwards with the blade either.

Granted this was a big storm, my atv wouldn't of had a chance against it, and a skidloader or a 1ton truck would've struggled too. I was just curious if anyone else struggled or struggles with bigger storms. I know every snow is differrnt and sometimes requires different tools. I feel defeated with this last storm......even though we only get something like that every 3 years. I'm really thinking of a snow blower after this storm. I have an idea on a brand and prefer a 3 point just hard on squeezing the trigger on that much money on a maybe use.

My tractor is completely stock. No extra weight or fluid in the tires, and r14's. I can tell a difference when I have the box blade on vs the straight blade for rear weight. I'm sure those things would help to a point but again I guess I'm just seeing if others struggle too........trying to make myself feel good haha. In my opinion I think a blower would be a nice plan of attack.

Thanks for your input.
Blowers are incredible when they work properly.