Strip Malls

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Long before Covid was here, malls/strip malls were closing everywhere. All around my area, vacant strip malls have sat empty for years, now we're seeing new strip malls being built on the perimeter of the parking lots of these strip malls. Once the new construction is completed, new tenets move in while all of the older stores remain closed.
I'm assuming someone is paying for these vacant properties, can someone explain why this is?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Long before Covid was here, malls/strip malls were closing everywhere. All around my area, vacant strip malls have sat empty for years, now we're seeing new strip malls being built on the perimeter of the parking lots of these strip malls. Once the new construction is completed, new tenets move in while all of the older stores remain closed.
I'm assuming someone is paying for these vacant properties, can someone explain why this is?
Usually it has to do with TIF money. Build new, you get TIF (tax money), but the old buildings only qualify for so many years once built.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Could be a few things but they all revolve around taxes.

For one thing not tax related, if the tenant is a big corporation, sometimes they’ll shutter a losing location but that doesn’t mean their lease isn’t still enforceable. They may pay rent on a vacant space for years. If the owner can rent to others and wants to do that to keep up the property to keep it attractive for other tenants they may do that, but that means a bunch of money dumped into up fitting for new tenants and cessation of the existing lease for the prior tenant. That assumes the prior tenant is agreeable to a mutual cessation of the standing lease, but they usually are if they’ve already departed.

From the standpoint of the owner, if the building has been mostly vacant and has fallen into disrepair, it can be more cost effective to sell the property to a new owner, which could be another LLC set up by the same principals that set up the LLC that owned the property during its vacancy. Selling allows recoupment of all amortized unrealized depreciation in the tax year of sale. That can free up cash to upfit for new tenants in a new building to start the depreciation thing all over again. It also is much easier to get financing for tenant upfits in a new building v an old building in poor condition.

I suspect if you could peel back the layers you’d likely find the property changed hands shortly before the new building started. You’d have to peel back more layers to see if that’s really a new owner or if it’s a “new owner” that’s a corporation that’s really just a new company owned by the same people. Even if it’s truly a new owner, likely they were swapping properties with the old owner for depreciation recoupment to put a little steroid shot in both their bank accounts. Property swapping for tax purposes is common in that business.

It’s all about timing and taxes. And yes, my family had a side business of owning Class B office space and a few strip malls back in the day before some of the principals became so elderly they needed to move on and the population numbers of the next generation past mine, through some unfortunate events and untimely deaths, became too imbalanced to make continuation to the next generation viable.

Our accountants and lawyers understood this crap better than me, but the above is still a valid high level view of some of the likely drivers of behavior that appears non-sensical to normal people driving by observing the apparent madness.

Reactions: 1 user

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan

For one thing not tax related, if the tenant is a big corporation, sometimes they’ll shutter a losing location but that doesn’t mean their lease isn’t still enforceable. They may pay rent on a vacant space for years. If the owner can rent to others and wants to do that to keep up the property to keep it attractive for other tenants they may do that, but that means a bunch of money dumped into up fitting for new tenants and cessation of the existing lease for the prior tenant. That assumes the prior tenant is agreeable to a mutual cessation of the standing lease, but they usually are if they’ve already departed.

From the standpoint of the owner, if the building has been mostly vacant and has fallen into disrepair, it can be more cost effective to sell the property to a new owner, which could be another LLC set up by the same principals that set up the LLC that owned the property during its vacancy. Selling allows recoupment of all amortized unrealized depreciation in the tax year of sale. That can free up cash to upfit for new tenants in a new building to start the depreciation thing all over again. It also is much easier to get financing for tenant upfits in a new building v an old building in poor condition.

I suspect if you could peel back the layers you’d likely find the property changed hands shortly before the new building started. You’d have to peel back more layers to see if that’s really a new owner or if it’s a “new owner” that’s a corporation that’s really just a new company owned by the same people. Even if it’s truly a new owner, likely they were swapping properties with the old owner for depreciation recoupment to put a little steroid shot in both their bank accounts. Property swapping for tax purposes is common in that business.

It’s all about timing and taxes. And yes, my family had a side business of owning Class B office space and a few strip malls back in the day before some of the principals became so elderly they needed to move on and the population numbers of the next generation past mine, through some unfortunate events and untimely deaths, became too imbalanced to make continuation to the next generation viable.

Our accountants and lawyers understood this crap better than me, but the above is still a valid high level view of some of the likely drivers of behavior that appears non-sensical to normal people driving by observing the apparent madness.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this, very good answer.

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Usually it has to do with TIF money. Build new, you get TIF (tax money), but the old buildings only qualify for so many years once built.
Thanks for the reply, seems to be a waste prime property. Tax incentives must out weigh having tenets pay rent on both the old spaces as wells as the new ones, why not do both.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
There was a failing medium sized mall surrounded by strip stores in my area that was bulldozed and subsequently rebuilt maybe 5 years ago that is now thriving. I was initially perplexed. Businesses and customers both seem to prefer newer spaces. Kind of like houses. When I see an old stone house for sale with plaster walls heated by a gas fired boiler and radiators I think "Quality". Many in my area unfortunately think "Bulldozer".

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

This is why the world needs more lawyers, accountants and government bureaucrats trying to invent new ways to extort money from citizens.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We have a closed mall around here, the local hospital was interested in it for their business offices and non medical related things storage and so on. From what I understand the owners wanted an astronomical price for it and it has been empty for I bet 15 years maybe more. It seems ( or so I was told) they get so much tax relief from it that they would loose money leasing it or selling it outright. I dont know it is way above my pay grade

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They are not getting tax relief from the city or state, they are depreciating the property for tax purposes and using the losses to offset other state and federal taxes that are generated by income from other properties. It is a complicated and difficult position to be in when losing money is profitable because you are making higher profits on another property. For real estate owners, many times keeping a property partially vacant is more profitable than having it fully occupied. The day that the property is sold, is the day that the rooster comes home to roost and the tax man takes his bite out of that profit.

Last edited: