Straps or Chains for trailering?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Good point! Hard to know if the links deform under load, or whether the links move relative to each other as tension is applied to the chain, or a combination of the two. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here as long as whatever is used is able to keep the load secured and on the trailer. The rest is personal preference perhaps based more on factors unrelated to the load in question.

Here's an interesting reference for those of us that use chains. I use Grade 70 chains but Grade 80 are available too.

True. All that matters is the operator does his or her due diligence. I was being sort of facetious about chain stretch but there is a limit. It's 5% but I can't recall what length you are supposed to check.

Reactions: 1 user

JDP

Equipment
L4701
Dec 15, 2020
Nebraska
If you use straps put a twist in them. It keeps them from vibrating in the wind and will help them not to wear.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I’ve been a chain/binder guy for several years, and immediately bought a new set of 5/16” Grade 70 chains whom I picked up the 20’ flatbed for the tractor. I like to have sets for everything so I don’t have to go searching…

After using them just a couple times, I discovered that using chains to tie down a small B2650 sucks. I have tie-down points every 2’ on my trailer, and something was always in the way of having a nice straight section to get the binder on.

So, I tried some 2” wide 10K lb. lasso straps. One loops over each tire and ratchet to a tie down. Easy, fast, secure, and showing no signs of giving up the ghost. I figure if tow trucks can use them on full size trucks day after day while storing them out in the elements, I should be ok using them every few months and keeping them neatly stored in my sealed trailer tongue box…

I still keep the chains and binders in the chain tray, but they don’t get used much anymore.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
YES , a single twist of the strap really works...
friend was carrying kayak on top of car..drove him NUTS(like a zillion bees buzzing over head)... someone said 'twist a strap'....dead silent !!!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I've never trailered my tractor. The dealer used straps for it and the implements to deliver them. Of course, the working strength of straps varies just like chains. Whatever you use, stop and check them from time to time.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
One of the biggest advantages of straps, in my experience using both straps and chains for differing loads, is straps don’t scar whatever you wrap them around if you’re wrapping something (such as an axle). For moving a working tractor, I just don’t care about that. If I was delivering new equipment or moving a car or our semi-restored Farmall, I would care. For the Kubota, a chain mark or three from running a chain through the loader tube without any protective barrier is simply a non-issue for me. Some others feel differently and that’s fine, too.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I use both straps and chains when moving my equipment. Straps may leave less marks or scratches but if I'm travelling any distance I like to have chains even if it's only on the rear of my smaller L series tractors. The last thing I want is my tractor hurtling forward if there was a problem, those 3/8" chains and binders make me feel a lot safer!

If I haul my MX, track loader or excavator it is chains on all corners and on the loader / front arm. I try to follow the same methodology each time for each machine and take my time securing the load and checking everything. I moved to a goose neck tilt deck equipment trailer for the heavy stuff some years ago and like the low load ride height and the ease of loading without ramps. I have a large front storage box on the front of the goose neck trailer, it is a treasure trove of chains and straps! It's good to have options.

I also use heavy duty axle straps (10,000lbs) with chain hooks with safety latches on the chain so they cannot un hook if anything shifted, this solves the chain marks around axles etc. I fitted short lengths of chain and grab hooks to the end of heavy straps so they can interface better to the load rail on my trailers.

I've damaged a lot of straps on metal edges, I just keep buying new ones, I've never damaged or replaced a chain.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I use both straps and chains when moving my equipment. Straps may leave less marks or scratches but if I'm travelling any distance I like to have chains even if it's only on the rear of my smaller L series tractors. The last thing I want is my tractor hurtling forward if there was a problem, those 3/8" chains and binders make me feel a lot safer!

If I haul my MX, track loader or excavator it is chains on all corners and on the loader / front arm. I try to follow the same methodology each time for each machine and take my time securing the load and checking everything. I moved to a goose neck tilt deck equipment trailer for the heavy stuff some years ago and like the low load ride height and the ease of loading without ramps. I have a large front storage box on the front of the goose neck trailer, it is a treasure trove of chains and straps! It's good to have options.

I also use heavy duty axle straps (10,000lbs) with chain hooks with safety latches on the chain so they cannot un hook if anything shifted, this solves the chain marks around axles etc. I fitted short lengths of chain and grab hooks to the end of heavy straps so they can interface better to the load rail on my trailers.

I've damaged a lot of straps on metal edges, I just keep buying new ones, I've never damaged or replaced a chain.
I tend to agree…to me, I use the chains to secure / hold down machine to trailer…I use a strap if I need to go up and over something (prevent something from bouncing/flipping up/catching wind/etc)

Sawburner

Equipment
L2501, Gravely 526
Dec 18, 2022
NY
Use what ever makes you feel safe. But for those that don't like straps take a look at the big trucks, you will find straps they are 4" straps but they are hauling a lot more weight then our tractors. I drove tractor trailer cross county for a while and the only time the company required us to use chains was when we were hauling bars/tubes of steel. We hauled green implements out of Texas with straps and protection so they didn't rub.
Mark