Strange things happen

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I just finished reading about someone getting an Amazon package that they didn't order, and I had a similar issue this week. I'll explain, but please be patient reading this because it is really scary and I have no place to turn to.

I got a call on Thursday and they asked for me by name. I responded with who was calling and the person gave me their name and company name. I told them that I wasn't familiar with their company and asked what she wanted. She told me that I was being overcharged for the interest on my credit cards and it was in violation of some Federal Law, and she spouted off a bunch of numbers. I then asked her what credit cards she was referring to, and she identified my Capital One and Chase cards. I told her that I have multiple cards with multiple banks and could she be more specific. She said could I hold on for a moment while she pulled up m;y information. She didn't ask me for any identifying information nor would I have given her any information. She proceeded to give me the first 12 digits of both of my credit cards and when I asked for the last 4 digits, she told me that she couldn't divulge them to me. I then asked what other information she had to identify me, and she proceeded to give me the last 6 digits of my Social Security number. At the beginning of the call, I did ask where she was calling from and was told Phoenix, so I asked for the zip code. I checked the zip code on my computer while talking to her, and the zip code was for Tucson, so I already knew the call was coming from outside the US. After she gave me my SS number she then told me that since I had a zero balance, I didn't qualify for their service. I had already gotten the name of the company that she supposedly worked for and it was a legitimate company in the US. I did want to end the call so I asked for her telephone number, extension, and name and said that I would call be when I had more time.
I then called Capital One and asked for a Supervisor, and asked him if they had a data breach after explaining everything about the call that I had received. He told me that they didn't have any breaches and that all that information was available on the dark web. Then he blew me off saying that there was nothing more for him to tell me. I also called Citi Bank and explained everything to them, but they took more information from me and told me that they would be sending it to the fraud department.
I watch my cards daily for any charges that I hadn't made, and what blew my mind was that I had a new card from Capital One that was only 16 days old, and that is the one that the "spammer" had the number of. This is why I think that there was a data breach at the bank. Neither bank offered to send me new cards.
Next, I checked Citi Bank's "Credit Wise" which also notifies you of anything that they find on the dark web about you. The only thing that they had reported was that my business email address was listed with my name, which I was aware of for more than the past 5 years.
I have had a freeze on my credit reports for the last 5 or 6 years, so there is no way that anyone can get into my credit reports without my lifting the "freeze". I also put a block on my information on the eVerify website. and the only other thing that I can do is to put a block on my Social Security Number.
Now, all I can do is wait to see if anything bad happens. I am at a loss as to where to go next.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sounds like it was a phishing expedition and you didn’t bite, good job. Seems that you’ve got things locked up pretty good. You probably have little to worry about. Even if the scammers do make a charge on your credit card somehow, as I’m sure you know, you’re not responsible for the charge. Now if they have your debit card information, cancel that immediately, as that is truly your money and your bank may or may not elect to make it right.

Good luck with it.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
That's certainly unnerving.
Unfortunately for me or whoever is calling me. I just hang up. I get lots of calls a week. Health care, fireman's fund, disabled migits, were selling _______, click.
When I retire the end of this year both phones get shut off. I'll get a new cell # and relax.
Sorry off topic.
Your situation Rusty. I'd cancel and get cards reissued. You might wad to sign up for that lifeLock plan that monitor any activity in your name.
It's scary for sure. But with all that information I'm guessing he can open credit cards in your name ect. It can't be good.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you don’t have Lifelock, Identity Force, or something similar get it. Not just monitoring; a service that monitors AND fixes things from minor fraud to total identity theft. At this point, that type insurance is as basic as auto liability and homeowners IMO.

You probably already set your fraud alerts with one of the credit bureaus routinely. If not, suggest doing that. Sounds like you’re already doing quite a bit of proactive protection.

Some of the info they had is a bit unusual, specifically the card number, but if you’ve ever used that card it’s quite possible somewhere you used it had a breach and doesn’t even know it yet. As you may have noticed in news reports on breaches, one of the reasons some are so large is because they go undetected for months and sometimes years. If it was me, I would assume I was the victim of an undetected breach and have the credit cards reissued.

The info required to take out loans in your name and steal at least the majority of your identity (full name, DOB, full SSN, mother’s maiden name, address history, relatives and neighbors info, driver license number, and a ton of other stuff) is all available for the virtually all of the US public who have started their financial life (opened a bank account in their name, gotten phone or utility service in their name, rented an apartment, gotten a loan, etc.) You just have to know where to look and be willing to spend $20 to about $75 (depending on what you want) to get it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
This just poped up on my email...

"It looks like you have new activity on one of your accounts

You haven't used this account in more than 6 months. Head over to Credit Journey to make sure you recognize this activity, and if you don't, see how we can help."

This is my oldest credit card that I don't use, but make one purchase with it every 6 months to keep it active. It is a legitimate charge that I had made. The interesting thing is that it is a Capital One card, but it was Citi Bank that reported the purchase to me. Capital One never even mentioned the charge to me by email or text.

Last edited by a moderator:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This just poped up on my email...

No code has to be inserted here.​
No code has to be inserted here.

This is my oldest credit card that I don't use, but make one purchase with it every 6 months to keep it active. It is a legitimate charge that I had made. The interesting thing is that it is a Capital One card, but it was Citi Bank that reported the purchase to me. Capital One never even mentioned the charge to me by email or text.
I just cancelled my CITI card yesterday.
THEY had my account totally messed up!
Gladys (Phillipines?) had no idea what was going on.
I QUIT them!

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Our credit union was taken for unknown amount of money with a "gift card" company scam. The company issued gift cards through the credit union. The credit union would sell them to the members. $2 bucks each, not a money maker, mainly for convenience to the customers.

As soon as money was put on the card, the issuing company (or more likely someone within the company that had access to the numbers) would steal the money off the card so you never know. The Credit Union shut down the cards and repaid outstanding balances but don't know if all the money was accounted for?

We handed out $6k of cards but it was to anonymous corn growers... no way to trace who got (or didn't get) the money!!!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The state DOT got hacked early last summer. The state never saw fit to officially notify the serfs. I found out several months later when a local news story went national and my brother half a country away sent me a link to the story. A journalist somehow came across internal communications of DOT officials whom were discussing how to bury it. A DOT official was interviewed and stated that all folks with Id cards, licenses or any other dealings with the state DOT should assume all of their personal data had been compromised.

These obfuscating a-holes send me at least two pieces of official mail every year between license and registration renewal notices. You think they could be bothered to slip a one-third piece of paper in there advising the serfs? Nope, not a word and I’ve gotten three renewal notices since that time and two personal visits to the DOT DMV offices since that time.

The point being, anymore we need to count on all of our personal data being available to anyone wanting it for nefarious activities and those we trust to keep it confidential either will not or cannot. Neither will they make sure you know about it if their data is breached.

Reactions: 1 user

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
The state DOT got hacked early last summer. The state never saw fit to officially notify the serfs. I found out several months later when a local news story went national and my brother half a country away sent me a link to the story. A journalist somehow came across internal communications of DOT officials whom were discussing how to bury it. A DOT official was interviewed and stated that all folks with Id cards, licenses or any other dealings with the state DOT should assume all of their personal data had been compromised.

These obfuscating a-holes send me at least two pieces of official mail every year between license and registration renewal notices. You think they could be bothered to slip a one-third piece of paper in there advising the serfs? Nope, not a word and I’ve gotten three renewal notices since that time and two personal visits to the DOT DMV offices since that time.

The point being, anymore we need to count on all of our personal data being available to anyone wanting it for nefarious activities and those we trust to keep it confidential either will not or cannot. Neither will they make sure you know about it if their data is breached.
This is exactly why having a credit freeze is so important. When we were stolen many years ago the investigator told us to assume ALL of our personal data was public and proceed accordingly. The credit freeze has been the only way to prevent these aholes from actually using YOUR data to their advantage. These reporting ads you see for a monthly fee are only good AFTER the fact.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The first 12 digits of Thousands of CCs are identical for Thousands of users….so that should have been a “tip-off” that a scam was being attempted. Same thing for last few digits of SS#s.

Credit agencies (TransUnion/Experian/Equifax) are who to contact to freeze/unfreeze your credit data.