Strange spring

aussie trev

Equipment
d1105
Mar 17, 2017
Australia
I removed the injector pump from my D1105 genset engine, and I thought I had dropped a washer in the bilge of my boat. When I dug around, I had this strange spring that I cannot confirm belongs in the engine. Can you help ??

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
looks like it could have come from a linkage, maybe for a return to idle.
Check the linkages and make sure they are all operating properly. ;)

aussie trev

Equipment
d1105
Mar 17, 2017
Australia
There are no external linkages on this generator. There is nothing else in this bilge compartment for it to come from, but I cant see where internally it might go.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it were an internal spring it would end up in the oil pan if it was anything to do with the motor.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I recall the genset (kubota power) had a throttle return spring on the injection pump. The throttle stop was lock wired for operating rpms but there was a external return spring. Or perhaps it was something to do with the stop solenoid. Been 3 years since i last looked at it. Was last place of work.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I expect NIW is correct, and I doubt the following is the case, but I'll play devils advocate and ask the silly questions! Is there any chance that when removing the pump a governor spring let go an flicked out the hole?

aussie trev

Equipment
d1105
Mar 17, 2017
Australia
When I lifted the pump from the engine block, there were a couple of washers that fell off the pump body, and these are what I was digging in the bilge for when I found this spring in the bilge. I don't know for sure that it doesn't belong which is why I asked.
The loop on the end of it is roughly the same size as the pin on the injector pump that engages the governor. As best as I could see there are no springs missing from the governor. I have re-assembled the pump into the engine without it (indications are it doesn't belong) and it seems to run OK but I am not able to load the generator to check it right out.

I have been a diesel fitter for over 25 years, but was after product knowledge on this engine.

The other aspect to the story is I don't know of anything else the spring could have come from in that area.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I have re-assembled the pump into the engine without it (indications are it doesn't belong) and it seems to run OK but I am not able to load the generator to check it right out.
Sounds good! I had to ask, the only silly questions are the unasked ones!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here are the three springs that are inside on that engine, and that spring is not one of them.

Attachments

aussie trev

Equipment
d1105
Mar 17, 2017
Australia
Thank you all, but North Idaho Wolfman, thank you specially. That is the exact response I was after. I tried to download piccys and .pdf's too , but a combination of my lack of computer savvy and dodgy internet (I am in Australia) meant I couldn't find the picture I was after.
Once again, Thank you

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Hey Trev, check your messages for some other info you may want/need one day

stavrossavvacoltd

Sep 9, 2015
Cyprus
I removed the injector pump from my D1105 genset engine, and I thought I had dropped a washer in the bilge of my boat. When I dug around, I had this strange spring that I cannot confirm belongs in the engine. Can you help ??
Hi Trev,

Looking at the photo you attached it looks like the specific spring is broken. As North Idaho Wolfman showed on the picture he attached the specific spirngs shown for the specific engine are different.

It is worth trying on the link we have on our signature as below, as we have few springs which may fit your tractor.

Last edited: