Strange phone number

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Unless it is a number we know or the caller id is a company that we expected a call from all of our calls go to voice mail. We will pickup mid message if the call is legit.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Keep in mind that the number they wish to appear can be programmed in for the call being made
AND…. researching the number alone can take your computer to a site you do not wish to engage.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
They replace THEIR real phone number with another.
We have gotten calls from our own number several times.
Pretty easy to tell that's a call we are not going to answer.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I got a call a few years ago ..... spammer ......

USING MY own #$%#$%$@#%$ number !!!!!!!

I looked at my phone .......... HOW IN THE HELL AM I CALLING myself?????

No - I didnt answer - I did not want to hear what I was saying anyway! :ROFLMAO:
Here’s my question: If anyone here received a call from Hokie…. would ANY of us answer it..?? :unsure:

(just kiddin’ ya’ Hoke)
:p😜:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: 'calling yourself'....

reminds me of when BELL here installed 'call forwarding'...
2 stories...

1st. Just after BELL had it 'up and running' ,a guy in Hamilton call forwards his home number to his Toronto business number, then goes to work....just before leaving the office he call forwards his office number to his home number. Some time later, someone called one of his numbers. Couple hours later the entire 'trunk' system from Hamilton to Toronto shuts down ! Seems the Bell 'engineers' never ,ever thought about a 'sunset loop'. Call come to the home number get forwarded to his office, that call gets forwarded to his home, which gets forwarded to his office,each time taking up a pair of wires between Hamilton and Toronto. Eventually all the lines are used and the system crashed. Adding a couple lines of code fixed THAT problem.

2nd. Bell decide to upgrade their 'computer' here in Hamilton,on a Sunday and erased ALL the call forwarding in use at the time. Kinda wondered why I hadn't had any business calls, hmmm. I call Bell, thay say 'just enter the call forward on my phone'. I say 'I don't have access to my phone', it's SUNDAY and the building is locked, they say'welll in that case, we'll have to disconnect your service sine we(Bell) can't access it for service. My response was ' patch me to the 870 corordinator, and 30 seconds later my call forwarding was working.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
It must have gone over all you guys heads. This thread was resurrected today after a 4 year nap by bots/spammers (EDIT: Both deleted and banned)

But why? Thats the interesting thing here.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It must have gone over all you guys heads. This thread was resurrected today after a 4 year nap by bots/spammers (EDIT: Both deleted and banned)

But why? Thats the interesting thing here.
What even more interesting is they were both 2 year old members, talk about a long game????

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
well, the subject of the thread is still relevant today, probably more so.
dang hard for me to read the date info...light grey on white...,sigh, old age sux...

I was going to comment on Wolf saying I'm 2 years old but I um, gee, ah, kinda forgot , um, whatever I was going to say, being almost 70 now....
cheers and have some fun, life is too dang short...

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
What even more interesting is they were both 2 year old members, talk about a long game????
Are these members like the ones you just got rid of actual bots? Or do you think they are linked to humans that control the account?

The long game seems weird to me whether its real people spammers or bots. What would be the point of that? And why would they come into a thread about spammers? Maybe to test the system? Or thumb their noses? I dont get it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are these members like the ones you just got rid of actual bots? Or do you think they are linked to humans that control the account?

The long game seems weird to me whether its real people spammers or bots. What would be the point of that? And why would they come into a thread about spammers? Maybe to test the system? Or thumb their noses? I dont get it.
Your guess is as good as mine. :unsure:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
well, the subject of the thread is still relevant today, probably more so.
dang hard for me to read the date info...light grey on white...,sigh, old age sux...

I was going to comment on Wolf saying I'm 2 years old but I um, gee, ah, kinda forgot , um, whatever I was going to say, being almost 70 now....
cheers and have some fun, life is too dang short...
Let me help your old eyes:
I didn't call you 2 years old.
I said the members that I just banned had accounts that were 2 years old.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
That's an odd one. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of spammers playing a game that long.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
yeah wolf, I know what you said and meant, just having some fun ! Dang COLD and WINDY here, can't play outside, unless I have ice skates on......:)

I do like the big,black bold font !!!!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I get a call and and if the caller ID I do not recognize, I say...
'...Hello! And thanks for calling! You call is very important to us and our menu recently changed. Press 1 for French, 2 for Mandrin, 3 for Swahili, press 5 for additional selections...'
They always hang up. Though once the elderly lady from the local library called for my wife and pressed 5....

• Haha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
yeah wolf, I know what you said and meant, just having some fun ! Dang COLD and WINDY here, can't play outside, unless I have ice skates on......:)

I do like the big,black bold font !!!!
HAHAHA!
Cold and snowy/ slushy here!

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I was getting 6-18 spam calls a day. I had enough. The spammers ask how are you doing? My responses were geared to make them not want to call back. Answering with "I am looking for a (insert here) victim, would you like to volunteer? or... other unpleasant options can at least help remove some frustration. The scammers usually hung up on me. I finally found out that magicjack on their website has a feature that when activated forces a caller to press a random number (that does change) to get through. Since that day there have been no more scam calls. Other services must offer the same option of making a caller press a number before they can get through.

EDIT: It is possible the members that were banned had their accounts stolen by malware. Scammers would not make a profile to be a problem 2 years later BUT will steal an account if they can.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I always tell the caller that I’m too busy to talk now, but I’ll call you back when I can talk. They end the call quickly.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If I'm in a mood to mess with some of those calls, I answer and quickly say, "I'll take a dozen. I don't care about the quality or color, I just need them fast.... I thought you were never going to get back to me..." They may try to interrupt but don't let say much, and I just keep rambling on. I soon get a disconnect.

You have to be ready for when you get one of those calls asking for a specific person. "Hello is Harald there?" Because they know you will say no and then they say "Well you can help me." and begin their yacking. This is their technique to get into a conversation. ALWAY say he's just stepped out the door, I'll go get him, and leave the phone until they disconnect. It's an entertaining break from going through tax receipts!!