Straightening the cutting edge of my FEL

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
The cutting edge of the FEL bucket is not straight. It's bowed down in the middle. Anybody have any ideas how to straighten it?

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
2 easy ways to do it depending on the tools on hand.
#1:
Use 2 10,000lb web ratchet straps and then roll the bucket out.
This method is quick, but be good with the controls and if your pump is weak it might not work.

#2:
Use a beam and a come along or chain fall to pull the lip back up.
This method is slow and easy.

Attachments

Last edited:

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I had the same problem with a Ford tractor I had. I took it to a welding shop and they welded a piece of angle iron extending down on each side of the bucket. Then welded an I-beam between and underneath the cutting edge. Then they used a bottle jack in between the I-beam and cutting edge and just pushed the cutting edge back into position. $100.00 but it taught me a good lesson on straightening cutting edges!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I used a big piece of steel, big bottle jack and chains. Steel, bottle jack under bucket, chain to sides of bucket. Jack and downpressure will get it back.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
I put a railroad tie on top of a guardrail. Chained the bucket about 1 foot above the tie wrapping chain under the guardrail and tie. A bottle jack on top of the tie and under the bucket bent the cutting edge back in place. Started on the outside edges and ended up in the middle.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
If it was mine I'd probably try chaining my bucket sides down to a couple stake pockets on my trailer and jack between the trailer frame rail and the bucket.

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
First off, thanks for all the replies. There are several good ideas here. I'll have to rummage around the garage to see what I have to work with. I'll be back with some results.
Thanks again,
Tom