steering wheel

mpsmdsr

Equipment
rhino twister TW 72
Aug 31, 2019
St Augustine, FL, USA
I am trying to test and probably change out a relay on my M4900SU. To lift off the dashboard to get better access to the relays. I need to remove the steering wheel, but can't get it off with a puller being careful not to break the plastic. Any suggestions ? Thank you.

evantwheeler

Equipment
L305dt, L345dt x2
Apr 19, 2023
Menifee, CA
I am trying to test and probably change out a relay on my M4900SU. To lift off the dashboard to get better access to the relays. I need to remove the steering wheel, but can't get it off with a puller being careful not to break the plastic. Any suggestions ? Thank you.
I had to make a pulling plate out of a large washer by cutting a slot in it so it would slip over the steering shaft and then pulling on the washer transfers the pulling force to the base of the wheel without ripping up the plastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I've found many times when using a bearing puller, a lot of pulling force isn't necessary. Apply "some" pulling force, then with a hammer "tap" (like driving a nail) the end of the center stud. Tighten, tap, tighten, tap.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I used a gear puller to place tension on the steering wheel….and… With a loose nut…but still installed on the shaft… strike the nut (prevents damaging the thread on the shaft… and the steering wheel suddenly released.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Here are my suggestions based on my experience on my L185 that has a tapered and keyed steering shaft.
1) Remove the black cap from center of steer wheel.
2) Loosen the nut.
3) Spray the shaft junction with a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster, Kroil. In fact I filled the depression in the steering wheel with penetrating oil.
4) Sit in the tractor seat, push up on the steering wheel with your thighs and grasp the steering wheel and jerk up on the steering wheel and pull hard.
5) If successful pat yourself on the back and remove the nut and steering wheel.
6) If not successful then, walk away and let the penetrating oil soak in for a day.
7) Repeat steps 3 to 4 until success is achieved.

GOOD LUCK
Don’t remove the nut since the steering wheel will let go suddenly and then it will continue upwards until your face stops it (If the nut is removed)

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
I went through this myself recently. I already had a power steering pump pulley puller (PSPPP for short) and it turned out to work perfectly.

I used a hose clamp to hold the two halves of the PSPPP together (without the outer ring) snug but not too tight on the steering shaft. I then set my 2-jaw puller to pull against the PSPPP and it popped right off.

Pictures explain it a whole lot better than words.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
When I removed the steering wheel from my b7200 I had to make up a custom plate with a "U" slot to go around the shaft just below the plastic part of the wheel. I threaded a couple of holes to accommodate my puller. There was simply no way otherwise to remove it without doing serious damage. I haven't compared it to my LX yet to see if it will be required to remove its steering wheel if required.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
DB's gear clamp is GREAT though 3 jaw puller would be better IF you can figure out WHERE 'someone' put it away for you........
YES, keep the nut on !!!

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
If you have a helper....

Loosen nut.

While pulling up on the wheel have helper hit the nut/shaft with a hammer and brass punch.

No helper...do the same but with a light burst of an air chisel.

mpsmdsr

Equipment
rhino twister TW 72
Aug 31, 2019
St Augustine, FL, USA
Used a larger puller, hit large center bolt of puller with hammer with considerable tension on it, and the steering wheel loosened on the splines. The bolt has a point so the threads on the steering shaft won't get deformed. Thank you all for the help

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Used a larger puller, hit large center bolt of puller with hammer with considerable tension on it, and the steering wheel loosened on the splines. The bolt has a point so the threads on the steering shaft won't get deformed. Thank you all for the help
Wrenching 101

The same procedure can be applied to many other applications and needs.