Steering wheel turns, wheels don't MX 5100

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
New one to me. MX 5100 with 155 hrs, barn kept. Was driving to get diesel, approx 6 mile trip. Noticed that I had to keep turning the steering wheel counter clockwise to keep it on the road. Must have made 25 revolutions in the 6 mile trip 5 - 10 degrees at a time. Same on way home. Checked steering wheel bolt in middle and it was tight. After parking it in barn, I can slowly turn the wheel either direction and feel the gears interact, but wheels don't move.

Friend said that could be the power steering runs off of hydro fluid and may be low. Haven't gone back and checked level, as was pouring rain when I got back home last night and just wanted to go inside.

Any thoughts? Set screw somewhere not tightened up? Does the power steering on an MX run off the hydraulic fluid?

Thanks
Doc

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
New one to me. MX 5100 with 155 hrs, barn kept. Was driving to get diesel, approx 6 mile trip. Noticed that I had to keep turning the steering wheel counter clockwise to keep it on the road. Must have made 25 revolutions in the 6 mile trip 5 - 10 degrees at a time. Same on way home. Checked steering wheel bolt in middle and it was tight. After parking it in barn, I can slowly turn the wheel either direction and feel the gears interact, but wheels don't move.

Friend said that could be the power steering runs off of hydro fluid and may be low. Haven't gone back and checked level, as was pouring rain when I got back home last night and just wanted to go inside.

Any thoughts? Set screw somewhere not tightened up? Does the power steering on an MX run off the hydraulic fluid?

Thanks
Doc
The steering is different than you think. It is hydrostatic.

At the base of the steering column is a hydraulic valve.

Between the front wheels is a hydraulic cylinder.

The valve sends hydraulic fluid to the cylinder to steer the wheels.

There is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and front wheels.

The system relies on hydraulic fluid from the main system.

The PS receives priority in the hydraulic system so PS always has adequate flow and pressure.

When the engine is stopped, I expect the steering wheel can still move the front wheels but with much more effort as part of the steering controller incorporates a manual pump so even if you ran out of fuel (and the engine stopped) going down a long hill you could still keep the tractor on the road.

Unless you find fluid levels very low, this is not a do it yourself type of repair.

Dave

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
The steering is different than you think. It is hydrostatic.

At the base of the steering column is a hydraulic valve.

Between the front wheels is a hydraulic cylinder.

The valve sends hydraulic fluid to the cylinder to steer the wheels.

There is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and front wheels.

The system relies on hydraulic fluid from the main system.

The PS receives priority in the hydraulic system so PS always has adequate flow and pressure.

When the engine is stopped, I expect the steering wheel can still move the front wheels but with much more effort as part of the steering controller incorporates a manual pump so even if you ran out of fuel (and the engine stopped) going down a long hill you could still keep the tractor on the road.

Unless you find fluid levels very low, this is not a do it yourself type of repair.

Dave
Thank you very much!!!

Doc

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
The ony question I can answer is from the workshop manual that says yes, power steering on an MX 5100 runs off the hydraulic fluid. Here is a link to the steering section of a online and downloadable (free) wsm. It should help you trouble shoot your problem. CLICK HERE FOR WSM

Dang Dave_eng you have fast fingers!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds to me like you have actuator issues and I'd be talking to a dealer about it. Nothing much too fool with there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most likely you have blown a seal on the steering cylinder, if it has a loader lift the front wheels off the ground and see if the steer, if they do, then blown cylinder seal.