steering play g6200

kubochan

Equipment
g6200 mower and snowblade
Sep 22, 2009
new york state
hope someone could give me some pointers (again). i'm getting play at the steering wheel, moves almost a quarter of turn till i get any response to the wheels. the end of the shaft from the steering wheel rotates a 1/4 circular gear. i don't know if that is the spot that needs attention but is the hardest part of the steering to see. i wish i could see another similar tractor to compare. it isn't that bad but it wants to drift around quite a bit more while mowing.
appreciate any input, thanks in advance, nate

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The steering gear box has an adjustment on my tractor. It is under the fuel tank in a tight spot so it's not easy to adjust.
Yours is probably different but look at the bottom of the steering shaft coming from the steering wheel and see if that is where your gear box is. I would expect to find something at the gear box that you can adjust to move the gear or spool inside. Similar to most any steering gear box.

kubochan

Equipment
Sep 22, 2009
new york state
took another look. don't seem to see anything that resembles a box. perhaps you are refering to a power steering... ? mine is manual steering colum with a gear on the end turns another which pulls or pushes another column (bar) which then turns the left wheel which pulls or pushes the right wheel. ....
there are play all through out. also some at the wheels. so i think its not just one part. i think that i would start with some bushings. its hard to describe what i see. will try to get a more experienced mechanic friend's advice and follow up as i progress.
though still open to any input.
thanks, n

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Mine is not power.
The place where the gear works off the steering shaft is where mine has the adjust. I'll try to get a pic and post it. There is a flat slotted head inside of a hex collar that adjusts for slack.

Yes if joints and bushings are moving then it could be those items all together that feels like a steering box when it might not be. A physical pair of eyes is best. :)

kubochan

Equipment
Sep 22, 2009
new york state
you're right about the physical pair of eyes. but i had to put the mower on to get to the grass. so i can only get maybe a quarter of an eye now. will keep peeking and should be getting the mower off soon to get the plow on.
will follow up as i progress.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Here is a pic of the adjuster on my gear box. The flat slotted head inside of the hex, located in the center of the four cap bolts, is where mine adjusts.

Hope this helps.

Attachments