Steering mushy in 7060

243ackley

Oct 8, 2017
Birmingham Alabama
I have a 2017 M7060 that I bought new. I noticed the last few times I used it the steering was mushy. Can really describe it except it is not smooth. Everything else is fine and machine has been serviced. I don’t notice any leaks.

Any ideas? I got the machine new.

Cab tractor 4x4 with 12 speed transmission.

Thanks for your help

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
First thing would be to check for a soft tire. I had a little MF that sometimes not come out of 4 wheel drive and it would not feel right. I had to rock the tractor or pick up the front end with the loader to get it out of 4 wheel drive.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
The steering cylinder on mine (exact same as yours) is weeping a little. I'd have never noticed it but i dyed the hyd fluid so i could see it better on the dip stick, and happened to notice some blue around the steering cylinder. Mine drifts a bit when at highway speed, always tugs a bit in one direction. I have not checked Tow in but do grease the pivots. Tire pressure is a good place to start. I have the wide fronts (360-70r20) which likely make it a bit more mushy feeling on the pavement. (i regularly drive 6-8 miles each way for work on the highway)

243ackley

Oct 8, 2017
Birmingham Alabama
I have the wide tires also. I Grease the pivot point religiously.

I took the screw out yesterday to make sure it was full of grease.

Do I need to screw the adjustment screw all the way in before I tighten the set screw?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Mushy steering is caused by a center seal on the steering cylinder being damages or partially blow out.
With this seal being damaged you won't get any fluid leaking out as it just transfers from one side of the cylinder to the other.

243ackley

Oct 8, 2017
Birmingham Alabama
Mushy steering is caused by a center seal on the steering cylinder being damages or partially blow out.
With this seal being damaged you won't get any fluid leaking out as it just transfers from one side of the cylinder to the other.
Where is the cylinder located? Is it up front on the axle?

I assume you would have to replace it vs repair it? I don’t have the capabilities to rebuild a cylinder.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Where is the cylinder located? Is it up front on the axle?

I assume you would have to replace it vs repair it? I don’t have the capabilities to rebuild a cylinder.
Yea at the front axle, and that is a rebuildable part.

It's a very easy rebuild, but if you can't do it, find a local hydraulic shop to rebuild it.

New that's a $1130,00 cylinder
Rebuild will run much much less.

Note: A mussy steering wheel can also be caused by other issues, like a bad steering controller but they are very very less likely!