Starts then dies or shuts down

GarYwChaney

Equipment
2017/18 - Kubota MX5200 Tractor
May 27, 2023
Vilonia, Arkansas
Seems I am having the issues as others tractor will start up it was running about 20-30 minutes while I was using Bush Hog it shut down, it started right up then done it again, seames like fuel issue to me I checked lines, tank, it all looked good, But now I can barely get it started having too even jump start it wearing battery down when I got it started it would run maybe 2 minutes...? The shut off die, I think I figured out how to bleed the lines my mx5200 doesn't have the bleeding valve like I seen on all the other kubota tractors I seen on YouTube I found a 10mm bolt on top of fuel filter losen it looked like some Air was coming out, finally got it started it ran bout 5-7 minutes and DIED.....!!, shut off, so I thought I'd put a new fuel filter on it I haven't done that yet since I got this bout 2 years ago it has 440 hours so it needs to be done, BUT I found a little tiny fuel line filter on top of a black box that the fuel pump goes Into and it the filter line goes to a tee one line to the top of fuel filter into that 10mm bleed bolt..? the other line off the tee goes to the top of the tank And it does have fuel in it but it's like a 1/8" hose anyways the little filter is a directional one with a flow arrow on it But I could not blow thru it took filter off ran straight line still died ...!! I poked a needle thru it put back on till I get a new one, if I can I will attach a picture of it , I did get the big fuel filter put it on see what HAPPENS...?? ANY HELP NO HOW WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED......
20230527_182038.jpg

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Seems I am having the issues as others tractor will start up it was running about 20-30 minutes while I was using Bush Hog it shut down, it started right up then done it again, seames like fuel issue to me I checked lines, tank, it all looked good, But now I can barely get it started having too even jump start it wearing battery down when I got it started it would run maybe 2 minutes...? The shut off die, I think I figured out how to bleed the lines my mx5200 doesn't have the bleeding valve like I seen on all the other kubota tractors I seen on YouTube I found a 10mm bolt on top of fuel filter losen it looked like some Air was coming out, finally got it started it ran bout 5-7 minutes and DIED.....!!, shut off, so I thought I'd put a new fuel filter on it I haven't done that yet since I got this bout 2 years ago it has 440 hours so it needs to be done, BUT I found a little tiny fuel line filter on top of a black box that the fuel pump goes Into and it the filter line goes to a tee one line to the top of fuel filter into that 10mm bleed bolt..? the other line off the tee goes to the top of the tank And it does have fuel in it but it's like a 1/8" hose anyways the little filter is a directional one with a flow arrow on it But I could not blow thru it took filter off ran straight line still died ...!! I poked a needle thru it put back on till I get a new one, if I can I will attach a picture of it , I did get the big fuel filter put it on see what HAPPENS...?? ANY HELP NO HOW WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED...... View attachment 103563
Get your owners manual out and look up the instructions for changing the fuel filter. You probably just have to bleed the fuel delivery system.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Please stop and read the owners manual and the WSM (aka service manual) before you cost yourself a whole ton of money!
That's not a fuel filter it's a check valve (in blue) and it's for return fuel.
The black box below it is a reserve fuel tank (it's a system buffer).
The fuel filter is in RED
The water separator is in Green
And the low pressure lift pump is in Purple

You will need to replace the check valve that you poked a hole in before you run it any more!
without the check valve in place and working properly you risk serious damage to the entire high pressure fuel system!

Follow the instructions from the WSM below to clean the separator, and change the fuel filter.

1685253852491.png

1685256672107.png

1685256727234.png

1685257515103.png

1685257585778.png

1685256341002.png

1685256372510.png

1685256418049.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

GarYwChaney

Equipment
May 27, 2023
Vilonia, Arkansas
Please stop and read the owners manual and the WSM (aka service manual) before you cost yourself a whole ton of money!
That's not a fuel filter it's a check valve (in blue) and it's for return fuel.
The black box below it is a reserve fuel tank (it's a system buffer).
The fuel filter is in RED
The water separator is in Green
And the low pressure lift pump is in Purple

You will need to replace the check valve that you poked a hole in before you run it any more!
without the check valve in place and working properly you risk serious damage to the entire high pressure fuel system!

Follow the instructions from the WSM below to clean the separator, and change the fuel filter.

View attachment 103601
View attachment 103606
View attachment 103607
View attachment 103611

View attachment 103612
View attachment 103602
View attachment 103603
View attachment 103604
THANK YOU, THATS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND AND IS WHY I STOPPED BY THIS SITE, AGAIN THANK YOU...I went to the dealer to ask them about and of course they didn't have any idea of what it could be BUT I could bring the tractor down to them and then they can figure out what is going on...!!!!, you know it's all about the MONEY.... , But yea anyways that's also why I was there to get a fuel filter of which I have just installed it and still nothing it won't even start now, I shot some starting fluid in it it did start then die, shot again it died so I stopped I do t like using that stuff much, that's when I checked back in and seen all this wonderful diagrams on the fuel, so I'm fixing to do some line chasing hopefully there is a little e blockage....and nothing else, I will let you know , thanks.
Gary

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
toss the can of 'starting fluid' far ,far away NOW !!!!

You'll DESTROY the engine... Kubota diesels do NOT require 'ether'.

Hopefully you haven't already damaged it to the tune of several thousand dollars worth of 'internals' !!!

Others here can explain why this happens.....

• Wow

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Gary,
I mean this with no offence intended, do you hate your tractor???

You are doing things that will 100% do it in!
Using starting fluid on these engines is like putting a Grenade inside the cylinder and pulling the pin and hoping for the best! :oops: 🤯o_O
It breaks pistons, it breaks rings, it bends connecting rods, it breaks injectors!
Like Greensvillejay said chuck it as far as possible and never use it again, and I'll hope for your sakes that it hasn't already done serious damage.

Now you working with a Electronic controlled tractor, if it's got a fault the dash should be giving you error codes, what are they!

Have you checked for fuel flow out of the separator, and bleeder on the fuel filter housing?
Have you bled all of the air out of the system following the procedures in the manual?
Do you have the WSM (aka service manual)?

GarYwChaney

Equipment
May 27, 2023
Vilonia, Arkansas
Gary,
I mean this with no offence intended, do you hate your tractor???

You are doing things that will 100% do it in!
Using starting fluid on these engines is like putting a Grenade inside the cylinder and pulling the pin and hoping for the best! :oops: 🤯o_O
It breaks pistons, it breaks rings, it bends connecting rods, it breaks injectors!
Like Greensvillejay said chuck it as far as possible and never use it again, and I'll hope for your sakes that it hasn't already done serious damage.

Now you working with a Electronic controlled tractor, if it's got a fault the dash should be giving you error codes, what are they!

Have you checked for fuel flow out of the separator, and bleeder on the fuel filter housing?
Have you bled all of the air out of the system following the procedures in the manual?
Do you have the WSM (aka service manual)?
Well no I don't hate my tractor, glad I only had a little bit of that starting fluid left in the can, I always used some of that on my old autos and tractors in the past and I guess that's where it belongs in the past...!!, ok no more bad fluid, but what I did have it did get the motor to stay running on its own..!! with a couple shots, I thought if it ran it would help bleed the lines but it only ran for about 2 - 3 minutes and DIED or shut down..?, I guess the service manual I got with the tractor is not this WSM because it has none of the diagrams that you sent which have been very helpful finding purge plugs and lines, but you know it may be this model mx5200 that i have idk the diagrams look like what i got, I don't have or can't find 1st. The purge plug on the separator..?, now it does have two screw at the top I thought were L-n wrench heads but I can't find anything to fit them in metric or standard sizes...then I'm reading what you sent trying to follow each step till I come to my 2nd issue I cannot find or I don't this feeder pump knob...on drawing 57A01 I have looked all over, can you see it on that picture i sent..? Or tell me where it is, ...idk I still think it is a fuel issue just don't know how to fix it starting to get me pissed off...🙃🤪, ok now I have seen no CODES showing up on dash info, and I have checked and have fuel coming out at the separator and fuel filter purge plug that one did look like it has had air in it..., idk thought my next move is to check out take off fuel tank I can't see line going to it but the separator getting fuel ..?, man...do you know if this thing will run if like the oil levels are not full..?, I know some motors do that stop running if low on oils...I am not low on motor oil just changed it, not sure on trans or hydraulic. I know I need to change that next, u know I thought the way it keeps stalling like it is (starving) that it would not be a safety switch...?, say thanks for responding back and giving your time I really do appreciate it ...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Crack the purge valve on top of the filter and turn the key to on, and see if you get flow.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
none of the diagrams that you sent which have been very helpful finding purge plugs and lines, but you know it may be this model mx5200 that i have idk the diagrams look like what i got, I don't have or can't find 1st. The purge plug on the separator..?, now it does have two screw at the top I thought were L-n wrench heads but I can't find anything to fit them in metric or standard sizes...then I'm reading what you sent trying to follow each step till I come to my 2nd issue I cannot find or I don't this feeder pump knob...on drawing 57A01 I have looked all over, can you see it on that picture i sent..? Or tell me where it is, .
Your tractor has an electric fuel pump so you do not have the bleeder on the separater or the manual primer pump. Just turn the key switch to the ON position and use the 10mm headed bleeder on the filter head.

GarYwChaney

Equipment
May 27, 2023
Vilonia, Arkansas
Your tractor has an electric fuel pump so you do not have the bleeder on the separater or the manual primer pump. Just turn the key switch to the ON position and use the 10mm headed bleeder on the filter head.
Well good i thought i was going batty there, thank you for the info, and i have been bleeding that port on the filter but as of yet i cannot keep the tractor running...??, i am going to post another post when i can get to my phone, again thank you.

GarYwChaney

Equipment
May 27, 2023
Vilonia, Arkansas
Follow up after replacing the fuel filter and the battery had a hole in it...?, the tractor is still stalling or dieing out I did get it to start yesterday ran for about 15 minutes boy I thought I done it THEN yeap it died stalled out still sounds like a fuel issue to me, I went to the dealer to replace that little Check valve see 1st. Picture it's the little green and white filter looking thing I the middle of the picture But they wanted $52 dollars ...!! I about fell over and walked out WITHOUT it, well I went to 3 auto part stores they had none in my little part of the world, so I got online searched and found all kinds ds of them running $8 - $25 dollars, But I'm trying to make sure they are compatible with the original one the one I'm looking g at says it's like a .2 bar or 200 Kia pressure that it takes to flow thru the thing and I don't know what the tractor runs I don't have a WSM only have the owners manual and they say nothing even about the check valve...?, any help help would be greatly appreciated , I have an attached photo of the air i think from the fuel filter that I got out I think.... still won't stay running again any help other then taking it to the dealer will be helpful, thank you....

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
With that bleed screw out and the key on, you should have a fuel geyser from the port.

GarYwChaney

Equipment
May 27, 2023
Vilonia, Arkansas
ok, well i did it...!?!, with the Help of you ALL, thank you for all the suggestions!, and the use of the WSM, that helped out alot, BUT what i found was that i was not getting any or enough fuel as you stated fuel should be gushing out of that bleeder port on the fuel filter, so i started back tracking down the fuel lines from the filter Again....i got to the water separator and noticed that there was no fuel coming out of the line from the fuel tank..??, so i took the air hose plugged up the fuel inlet at the cap on the tank with a rag and then blew out the line back up into the tank.....talk about FREE flowing fuel now man o man.....so i then drained the fuel from the tank into fuel cans using funnels with a screen strainer on them to catch what ever was in there, i found bugs...!!!, and you idk ow they got inn i only leave cap off long enough to fuel up.... but they were in there and got sucked in to the fuel lines, But i went ahead and tore that water separator back down and found bugs or bug parts in the fuel inlet from the tank into water separator it was a pain in the you how to get out..!! but it happened i got it all cleaned out put back together, went ahead a bled the fuel line again ..... started ole orange up and its been RUNNING GOOD ever since then, SO if you are have this type of issue make sure you double check them fuel lines, inlets and tanks for BUGS or BUG PARTS........
bug parts at fuel inlet on water seperator.jpg

Reactions: 1 users