Starting Issue Dealer Cant Find

bx2380

Mar 31, 2017
Hanson KY
I have a BX2380 with just shy of 200 Hours on it. I took delivery in late March early April of 2017.

Since about 2 weeks of owning the tractor I have had a starting issue. It has been hit a miss and it won't do it at the dealer or long enough to properly diagnose the problem.

Every now and then when I try to start the tractor I turn the key and the indicator lamps come on as well as the fuel pump. Turn the half notch and the glow plug lamp comes on. But every now and then in the start position there is nothing. It might do it once or as many as 8-9 times.

Doesn't matter if the tractor has been sitting a few days or shut it off a tried to restart during a job.

It been back to the dealer multiple times. But will not do it there or long enough for diagnose myself.

The dealer has been great trying to resolve the problem! But so far just chasing a ghost. The last time it did it on the trailer taking it to the dealer. So a ran in and got the service MGR and the tech. But then started fine!

They have cleaned and double checked all of the connections and replaced the starter relay. This time they added a relay to hopefully find out if it does this again it will isolate to a safety switch.

I have even taken a video on my phone showing that the brake was applied. The trans was in neutral and the PTO was off.

I had a problem with my Kommander zero turn a few years back where dust and grass would get into the parking safety switch. After a couple of trips back to the dealer they found that JD used the same switch only with a dust boot. So they replaced with that and fixed my problem.

So I'm wondering if it might be similar? But on the tractor it has done it many times if I had been mowing, grading or even moving snow!

I love the tractor but this issue is starting to get OLD QUICK!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
can't imagine it being anything other than a faulty safety switch or the ignition switch itself.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have a BX2380 with just shy of 200 Hours on it. I took delivery in late March early April of 2017.

Since about 2 weeks of owning the tractor I have had a starting issue. It has been hit a miss and it won't do it at the dealer or long enough to properly diagnose the problem.

Every now and then when I try to start the tractor I turn the key and the indicator lamps come on as well as the fuel pump. Turn the half notch and the glow plug lamp comes on. But every now and then in the start position there is nothing. It might do it once or as many as 8-9 times.

Doesn't matter if the tractor has been sitting a few days or shut it off a tried to restart during a job.

It been back to the dealer multiple times. But will not do it there or long enough for diagnose myself.

The dealer has been great trying to resolve the problem! But so far just chasing a ghost. The last time it did it on the trailer taking it to the dealer. So a ran in and got the service MGR and the tech. But then started fine!

They have cleaned and double checked all of the connections and replaced the starter relay. This time they added a relay to hopefully find out if it does this again it will isolate to a safety switch.

I have even taken a video on my phone showing that the brake was applied. The trans was in neutral and the PTO was off.

I had a problem with my Kommander zero turn a few years back where dust and grass would get into the parking safety switch. After a couple of trips back to the dealer they found that JD used the same switch only with a dust boot. So they replaced with that and fixed my problem.

So I'm wondering if it might be similar? But on the tractor it has done it many times if I had been mowing, grading or even moving snow!

I love the tractor but this issue is starting to get OLD QUICK!
The brake doesn't need to be applied nor the transmission in neutral BUT the pto must be off and the HST pedal in the neutral position. Could it be that your foot is touching the hst pedal or that it is sticking partly engaged?

bx2380

Mar 31, 2017
Hanson KY
I has done it both on and off the seat. Not touching pedals. I'm sure it's most likely a safety switch hanging of some kind. Or a faulty ignition switch.

But for now we have to play by the rules Kubota will allow them to change. A time or two I have smacked the right side of the dash that seemed to help a few times. I personally believe its the ignition switch. Or maybe the safety switch for the HST is not adjusted properly. I seems to happen more than not trying to restart during a job. Only a very few times after sitting a few days.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
I'm sure you have already tried this, but on my BX2660 the PTO safety switch is a bit contentious at times. I've noticed that when I get off the machine my leg tends to brush the control knob. Sometimes this just enough to engage the safety switch and i have to give the knob a tap back into neutral to get the safety switch to allow starting.

It was puzzling to solve as my son would get on the tractor and wouldn't crank. I would then get on and it would crank. Guess maybe I also brushed the knob up as i got on or else just the weight of me stepping on was enough to jiggle the switch.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm not a tractor snob- I like all kinds. I started out with a Kubota, found a great deal on a JD 790, and I wouldn't hesitate to own another Kubota. So, I'm not trying to stir anything up...
But, it should be noted that when your Kubota zero turn acted up, they used a John Deere part to fix it...:D
Just sayin'.

bherron1

May 7, 2017
Clarks Hill SC USA
Take a test light or volt meter and find the hot wire in start position from your key switch. Cut that wire and run straight to your starter solenoid on starter. Wamo problem solved and now you know for sure its one of the plastic safety switches making you cuss. Now don't do nothing stupid because you just backed your tractor up in time 20 years when we had to think before getting killed because our tractors did not have any stupid I mean safety switches. My BX2680 got this upgrade on week two. Never had to walk home again.

bx2380

Mar 31, 2017
Hanson KY
Same Cole Hersee switch. Only for some reason Kubota didn't use the dust boot.

I will say from what my dealer tells me (I was raised in an IH AG and Truck Dealership) And have know the owner and salesman for many many years and trust 100%. But I mine is the only Kommader user that uses the mulch kit. So that compounds the dust and dirt issue. I mow about 4 acres with lots of leaves and dust in the fall especially!

And they told me I was the only one with this issue and when I would talk to Kubota reps at the farm show "Never heard of that issue"

After they found the fix they told me there is a Kubota service letter on how to fix if it is a problem. As well as there is currently a customer service campaign and that switch is one of the items Kubota is fixing. Along with a drive belt guard.

I have LOTS of gumballs in the spring and some would bounce out from the deck and trow or break the hyd drive belt. And this should fix that issue! (I hope)

I will say that is pretty good for them to address on a mower that has been out of warranty for over 2 years!

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
I'm not a tractor snob- I like all kinds. I started out with a Kubota, found a great deal on a JD 790, and I wouldn't hesitate to own another Kubota. So, I'm not trying to stir anything up...
But, it should be noted that when your Kubota zero turn acted up, they used a John Deere part to fix it...:D
Just sayin'.
It is a John Deere AM107421 Starter Relay Kit, used for low voltage to starter relay issues. Available EBAY, Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-AM107421-Starter-Relay/dp/B00CAXO80I#customerReviews

bx2380

Mar 31, 2017
Hanson KY
FOUND IT WITH YOUR HELP!

I got my tractor back Thursday and ran it a couple of hours with NO issue, Got ready to load it last night to finish a little project at church today. And it did it again!

So I did as you suggested with the key in the start position worked the PTO lever, then the HST pedal. Moved forward no change and as I slowly went to reverse I hit "dead center" and started!

So now I know what it is I can deal with it. And stopped by my dealer on my way to work this morning to give them the good news. And said I would bring it by to have the switch adjusted or replaced in a few weeks. After they get finished with the Kommander "Customer Service Enhancements" but not a recall or campaign! And the spring rush of people needing their mowers serviced after sitting in the garage all winter! LOL

Thanks for your help! Glad to know this site is here! Just like the Binder Planet for IH Scout and Light Line Truck guys!