Starting a L245DT.....

pwrstroker00

Equipment
L245DT
Jul 25, 2011
Lebanon, OR, USA
Hello All,

I am inheriting a L245DT with loader from my father-in-law and was going to pick it up tonight. I have and use regularly a 1952 Ford 8N, but I have never used a Kubota before.

Can anyone give me the starting sequence for the L245DT? It has rarely been used in the last few years, but I was told it ran fine when last it was used. A step by step start up procedure would really help alot. Just want to get it home and start cleaning it up, as it could use a thorough cleaning, along with fluid/filter changes as well.

Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
Heres how I typically start mine...

Turn on the key.
set the throttle so that its getting a little fuel.
engage the glow plugs for 30 -45 sec
start it.

I would say before you start it that you check the oil and water levels, just to be sure, especially if its been sitting...

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Hello All,

I am inheriting a L245DT with loader from my father-in-law and was going to pick it up tonight. I have and use regularly a 1952 Ford 8N, but I have never used a Kubota before.

Can anyone give me the starting sequence for the L245DT? It has rarely been used in the last few years, but I was told it ran fine when last it was used. A step by step start up procedure would really help alot. Just want to get it home and start cleaning it up, as it could use a thorough cleaning, along with fluid/filter changes as well.

Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

Well one thing is nice for sure............the Kubota doesn't have spark plugs like the 8N. :D :D :D

A diesel engine normally starts very easily. Since the fuel naturally ignites with compression just turning the engine over with fuel in the injectors will start one up.
I think the 245 uses a manual fuel shut off lever so that is how you shut it off. Turning the key off will not stop the engine. When starting: just a little throttle slightly above idle and turn the key it can start. Maybe, should start too but if not after 2-5 seconds crank time then I use the glow plugs. Turn the glow plug knob backwards from the starter position is how mine is, for about 10-to 20sec to heat the cylinders. Then crank again and it should start.

One tip about diesel engines: the easier they start the better the mechanical integrity of that engine. Starting quickly with no glow plug time is a good indicator of a healthy engine with strong compression and fuel spray.

Welcome to OTT and congrats on that orange tractor.
Show us some pics when you can. :)

pwrstroker00

Equipment
L245DT
Jul 25, 2011
Lebanon, OR, USA
Re: Help starting a L245DT.....

So, got it started and trailered to my place to begin the fluid changes. It is having issues starting though.......

I turn the key to the on position, sometimes the "oil" and "chg" lights come on, sometimes they don't. Other times the "oil" and "chg" lights come on, but turn off when I start heating the glow plugs. Other times the "oil" and "chg" lights come on, I heat the glow plugs, then the "oil" and "chg" lights turn off immediately when I try to actually start it.

The battery is fully charged (shows around 12.5 Volts on my DVM). Regardless of the key position, I have 12.5 Volts at the +++ connection to the starter solenoid. A few times I have tapped on the starter and starter solenoid with a hammer and it has started. My thoughts were possibly the ignition switch or the starter solenoid/starter.....

Any ideas??????

Thanks any the help.