Starter Issue? or something else??

sstrac

Equipment
M9000 Tractor, JBar 7' Rotary Cutter
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
I have recently purchased a 2004 M9000 tractor. i love it but if i let it sit for a week or two without running, it sometimes will not start. i talked to the previous owner and he says it has been that way for a long time. He tried a new battery to no avail and i did also. it had served in a chicken house previously so i really, really cleaned everything. I even disconnected the grounding, cleaned the connections and re-terminated. It drags when trying to start and sometimes to the point the starter won't turn. jumping with cables from my truck seemingly does no good either. someone suggested the starter. could it be the starter? I read the voltage on the battery when it wouldnt start and the voltage level was 13v. I even started removing the fuses from the electical panel when i left and then putting them back in on the next use, still same draging when trying to start. I was thinking maybe a light or other item might have a partial short.

Ideas? suggestions? test recommendations?

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
If the starter is dragging with new battery and even a jump its a bad starter replace it. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Kubota-Tractor-M6800-M8200/dp/B008HR6FDO
What Wolfman said. I just went through the same thing. Adding 250 amps from a starter/charger of jumping from another vehicle and the starter would barely turn over. Just received my new starter from Amazon today, installed it and the tractor spun over like a young puppy trying to please its master.;) :cool: :D

sstrac

Equipment
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
thanks guys, especially for the link to the new starter. I will get one ordered, i just needed a push in the right direction. thanks again.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If the starter is just dragging, try taking it apart and greasing carefully all the rotating--not electrical contacting--parts. Just a smear is all it might take. Might use a little emery cloth too.

Had a '68 Ford 300-CI 6-Cyl stationary that quit starting. Starter shaft was so dry it couldn't spin. A small smear of white lithium auto-rebuild grease and it was just like when new. Good for another 45-years or so.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

sstrac

Equipment
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
Nothing permanent yet on the starter, but I did figure how to manipulate it to make it work. Long glow plug time, slow turns but starts every time. The battery issue is yet unresolved but I have prevented the draining of the charge by pulling out all but the starter fuse. I put the headlight fuse back in when needed temporarily. I think the headlight and turn signal switches are so easily bumped that it was happening almost everything. At least that's my theory. Anyway, the manual work arounds are satisfying my requirements for now. Building a house so no extra time or money at the moment. I plan to pull starter as soon as I can and have it checked. Thanks again for all the responses.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Voltmeter test-battery shouldnt go much below 10 volts when cranking. If its dragging, as mentioned disassembling starter and lubricating it. Not knowing what starter looks like,the end cap may be easily removed without disturbing brushes. A cleaning and a wipe of grease may be all it needs. Sometimes a brush will hang up,causing it as well.

Two hours is about the norm for the time i spend, pulling servicing and installing. Depending on machine. Some of the workshop manuals showed the process of teardown and assembly.

I come from a place very far away- old school where stuff got fixed, not tossed and replaced with new.
Today in many cases its no longer possible. Hope you get it figured out.

sstrac

Equipment
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
Spent some time cleaning and lubing but no luck. I went ahead and ordered a new starter. Fingers crossed that this does it and I can actually use my tractor when needed. That would be just great. It should arrive in a couple days and hopefully I can get it installed next week after get back from some traveling for CHRISTmas. Will post results once complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Now you say giving it a long glow plug time and it goes, then i am led to believe a starter should help your issue. My battery showed its age the other day, long glow plug time and starter barely grunted. Grabbed a slightly larger good battery and it cranked like summertime.

Hope it solves your problem.

sstrac

Equipment
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
Well, maybe not....... Used the tractor several times and it started perfectly. About a month or so later used the tractor an hour or so, tuned it off and when I tried to start it a few minutes later I could only here a click. It has done this several times and is frustrating. Generally I can leave it over night and it seems to be ok the next morning. This weekend it started right up then after about an hours work I turned it off for 10 mins and no starty. I turned key off and on quickly about 30 times and it finally engaged. Happened again same afternoon and quickly turning key did not do it. Waited....then worked. Did I get a defective new starter? Relay? What could it be? Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk