Starter does not turn engine

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
I have a 2013 B3000 that suddenly does not start. I started it and used it for about 2 hours, when I stopped to get a drink I left the engine running and disengaged all drives and pto like I have done in the past. As I got off of the seat the safety shut off engaged and the engine shut down from about half throttle. I thought maybe I had left pto engaged and would shut it off when I got back on. After maybe 5 minutes I got back on and every thing was disengaged, when I tried to start it the fuel solenoid engages but the starter will not turn over. I have pulled out all fuses, looked good, I am at the end of my knowledge and need to use tractor this week because I am on vacation and can't figure out why it won't crank. Any ideas?

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Since it cut out on you when you got off.
I would think that one of the safety switches is stuck or broke.
Try engaging pto on/off and other switches like pedal, seat and every other one you may have.
May need to ohm them out.

Ray

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
I agree, it seem like it has to be something in the safety cut off system. I don't have a multi meter here so I cycled through all of the cab controls several times and even disconnected and reconnected as many of the safety switches I could find. I am really confused about which one to check. It was running great and gave no indication of anything being wrong, I mean right up to the time it went wrong. just makes it hard to diagnose, frustrating.

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Unplug safety switch under seat see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
I tried unplugging the rear most pressure safety switch and the fuel pump solenoid quit working, the tractor has 2 safety switches on the seat and when either of them are unplugged it stops the fuel solenoid from working. I am fairly sure that even if I start the tractor from outside the cab there was usually a solenoid click then starter turnover so I reconnected both of them. Thanks for the idea OBKubota.

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
When u turn key do u have dash lights headlights ? Also try unplugging seat safety switch and putting jumper on plugin to that switch.

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
I do have dash lights and headlamps / work lights seem bright as normal, I do like the idea of jumping the seat switch, give me a few minutes and I will go try that. Thanks again OB, glad you didn't go to the darkside.

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
All jumping the seat switch does is make the tractor think your sitting in it , make sure parking brake is on and nothing else engaged.
If it starts then seat switch is bad,if not keep looking.

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
I tried jumping switch and nothing changed, thanks for the idea, I thought you were on to something there, any other thoughts out there?

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
When you turn the key on to start it does is make that clicking noise from the solenoid. I think you might have already answered that question. Maybe look around where the parking brake pedal is should be a switch down there too that would stop it from starting. And while you're at it you should be a switch or something at the PTO to stop it from starting after that I run out of ideas!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The HST pedal switch is still active, wiggle the pedal back and forth. ;)

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
Thanks Wolfman, but I tried that and still no starter engage, I even put trans in neutral, engaged parking brake and had wife push hst full forward while I pushed the switch in with my thumb thinking it may have somehow came out of adjustment, nut backed off ect., but still same result. This one has really got me confused.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In the post you did at the same time as me:
You said that solenoid is clicking, which solenoid?
Starter?
Fuel shutdown?

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
I am starting to think I will have to call the dealer for a service tech to come out and make repairs. Front loader is on ground and 6ft. mower deck is mounted on rear so I don't think it could be trailered.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The seat switch does not prevent cranking, at least on the BX2370 the only switches in the cranking circuit are the PTO and the HST pedal. The PTO or HST switches would have shutdown the tractor when you got off the seat and now would prevent cranking. I would try a jumper on the HST switch first and then on the PTO switch.

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
My apologies your right the seat switch will shut it down if you get off but not prevent starting If your not sitting in it.

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
Thanks for all of the replies, I am really glad to have the help available. Wolf man, the fuel solenoid is the only one I can get to work, the starter solenoid will not work so far. Grouse Feathers, thanks for reminding me of that, I know I have (contrary to owners manual) started my tractor without being in the seat several times and all worked as it should. The HST switch is a pretty easy to get to but the PTO, I think is on top of the trans and in front of the rear axle, bit of a contorted stretch, and I don't know of a jumper to use for the pinned connectors that those switches use.

itssoeasy

Equipment
B3000HSDCC
Jun 1, 2013
southern Indiana
I went out to tractor this morning one last time before making service call, after thinking about HST & PTO being only switches to keep it from starting, I went to PTO switch again, it feels really loose in the socket so I moved it around an pushed down as hard as I could in a tough spot to reach. The tractor started like nothing ever happened. I believe that either the socket has worked loose from the pins or maybe the pins have broken out of the switch, either way it's a real pain to get to it and for now all is good. Does anyone have a easy way to access the PTO safety switch on the top of the transmission that is in front of the rear axle on a 2013 B3000HSDCC? Thanks again guys for all of the help. I was about to throw in the towel and call my dealer to make a service call to fix this thing, several hundreds of dollars were saved.

Last edited:

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I bet there was a sigh of relief when it started, glad you found the problem and good luck with the repair. You got a love this forum there is so much knowledge here !