Stalled MX5200...got off it now it won't start

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5200 TLB, Kodiak box blade, wicked root grapple, EA pallet forks
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
I lifted my forks over a piece of equipment that i need to move. I put the parking brake on and got off the tractor to get straps and it died. I thought that was curious since i had the parking brake engaged and the PTO was disengaged. Now she wont start, no glow plug, clicks or anything. MX5200, 4wd, Hst. Help me Obi-wans, youre my only hope! :confused:

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Could very well be engaged safety switch. Be certain pto is not engaged, Is yours a button? On my mx 5100, it is a lever. Check clutch safety switch as well. Check safety switch under seat. Mine in disengaged, too much of a pain. Could try jumping across solenoid to starter but that is very short term solution.

Is tractor stored outside? Safety switches can be sensitive. Engage pto and release several consecutive times.
Manually move seat switch.

This isn't the time to mention this, but I installed an AGRITAL cab on my tractor and picked the perfect winter to do so. The operating experience is completely different.

Last edited:

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
Thanks Major, all good solutions!
i went back out, lifted the seat and flicked the saftey switch. Climbed on and moved the hst pedal back and forth and it fired right up.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wazoo - -

Definitely a safety switch in my mind, with it quitting when you dismounted and no dash response now. Betting it's a simple fix.

I'm not familiar with your tractor, but I'm notorious for hitting the PTO lever when I get off my little BX. 1/4" is all it takes to make it shut down, or not start.

Wiggle/jiggle levers/pedals all around, to make sure they're "home". Check under your seat for that switch to make sure it's closing.

With the key in the "On" position, rock the HST pedal to make sure it centers..sometimes will allow a crank if it's not centered...warm but snowy in our neck of the woods today....

Good Luck!

Last edited:

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
@ RCW, yes sir, i believe you're right. I was on a very slight slope.

After she fired back up I had good fun with the grapple. Have a woodmizer coming in 2 days, going to be hard waiting for spring, I predict lots of tire ruts around my place!

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
So far, anytime my MX5200 won't start, all I do is bounce up
and down on the seat and it fires right up.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
HST (neutral) switches on these have been known to be a little bit too sensitive. They are adjustable. Kinda like the old L3200/L3800 and L2800/L3400 HST stuff. Too sensitive. Difference being that the MX4800/5200/5800 are a LOT harder to get off to adjust-and yes it's got to come off to adjust it. But it is adjustable and typically the complaint is that have to wiggle the HST pedal to get it to start, or it dies when you get off the seat.