SSQA plates not tracking

Corlis

Equipment
L3240 Kubota
Apr 3, 2022
Georgia
I had a hard time changing attachments because the plates weren't aligned. I noticed when the hydraulic cylinders are extended or retracted, they are aligned. I noticed that the cylinders don't move together. One sided lags the other just enough to keep them misaligned. One cylinder has a small leak. Could this be the problem? Will rebuilding both cylinders fix this problem?

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Have a search for “twisted torque tube” —likely not as serious as you think.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had a hard time changing attachments because the plates weren't aligned. I noticed when the hydraulic cylinders are extended or retracted, they are aligned. I noticed that the cylinders don't move together. One sided lags the other just enough to keep them misaligned. One cylinder has a small leak. Could this be the problem? Will rebuilding both cylinders fix this problem?
No the cylinders are not the issue, you have what they call out of clock SSQA attachment pads.
There are several ways to fix it.

I use a block or a tree and use the loaders hydraulics to do it.
Block the side that is further back and roll the curl, or strap it to a tree or something else that's unmovable, the gently roll it back till they align, not over doing it.
Or conversely put the leading up against something unmovable and roll it out against that pad till it aligns.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a slightly different QA than the SSQA and there’s no torque-tube between them. I thought I’d add a torque-tube for the occasional times they get out-of-sync…. But having now read thru several of threads where someone’s tubes have been tweaked out-of-sync and the trouble to repair the tube… I realize that is not necessarily a good thing to have.
NIW is exactly correct (as usual) about how simple it is to put them back into sync. In-fact, I rarely need to use a tree or anything near that sturdy to re-align the QA. Simply placing one side against the implement and gently rolling the joy-stick control will bring the other into alignment and complete the attachment. A bent torque tube would greatly complicate that and I’ve dropped any idea of installing one.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: One cylinder has a small leak. Could this be the problem?
yes as NO ' hydraulics' should ever leak. The good one is stronger and will change the alignment(think walking blind, always in a circle)

easy way to 'sync' the cylinders. remove the SSQA frame pins, retract cylinders, repin the frame

resyncing the cys is NOT the 'cure', you NEED to fix the leaky cylinder

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I bent mine back into alignment with a block of wood placed so the hydraulics on the affected side was able to straighten it back to alignment with a few careful tries.

Corlis

Equipment
L3240 Kubota
Apr 3, 2022
Georgia
I bent mine back into alignment with a block of wood placed so the hydraulics on the affected side was able to straighten it back to alignment with a few careful tries.
Thanks for all of the great replies. It truly was a simple fix. But, I did learn a lot about my hydraulic system though!

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
easy way to 'sync' the cylinders. remove the SSQA frame pins, retract cylinders, repin the frame

resyncing the cys is NOT the 'cure', you NEED to fix the leaky cylinder
You've never worked with an SSQA have you?
There is no, un-pining and re-pining!
The right and left side of an SSQA are attached to each other, via a tube, pipe, bar or frame, move one side and the other follows.
And 2 cylinders plumbed in parallel, the cylinder with the least amount of resistance will move first.
So there is no synching the two tilt cylinders.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a slightly different QA than the SSQA and there’s no torque-tube between them. I thought I’d add a torque-tube for the occasional times they get out-of-sync…. But having now read thru several of threads where someone’s tubes have been tweaked out-of-sync and the trouble to repair the tube… I realize that is not necessarily a good thing to have.
NIW is exactly correct (as usual) about how simple it is to put them back into sync. In-fact, I rarely need to use a tree or anything near that sturdy to re-align the QA. Simply placing one side against the implement and gently rolling the joy-stick control will bring the other into alignment and complete the attachment. A bent torque tube would greatly complicate that and I’ve dropped any idea of installing one.
I've made several SSQA setup and haven't tweaked a single on yet.
And yes I have had the latches open up a time or two.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I was under the impression that one of the cylinders is leaking, so it won't have the power of the other so depending on how the loader is used ,it is possible to 'tweak' or twist the SSQA frame section.
Have seen some interesting 'twists' on loaders at the local quarry 'boneyard'

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I've made several SSQA setup and haven't tweaked a single on yet.
And yes I have had the latches open up a time or two.
Had the right latch get opened by a wayward brush branch while backing up and that bottom side of the forks caught a frozen stump. Twisted the tube so the sides of the ssqa ended up about 1 1/2" out of alignment with each other. Unless I fully retracted or extended the bucket cylinders which spring the faces straight temporarily.