SSQA (front mounted) Land Plane

konakid

New member
May 30, 2016
13
0
1
Kailua Kona
I decided to ask this based on a pending purchase of a tractor that has a removable BH - but supposedly it isn’t all that easy and quick to remove (Kubota B26). It would be nice if there was an easy and quicker way to level up and maintain my gravel driveway than switching out to the 3pt.

I was told there is a front SkidSteer Land Plane that is available. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? And if it would work on a B26 (it will have 3rd function hydraulics)

Worth it?
 

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,121
5,575
113
Michigan
Interesting.........

In my case the BH is off in seconds, but the damn 3 point stuff takes me "forever" to put on...

Mostly cause I have to remember HOW to put it all on again :unsure:

The SSQA Land plane might be cool.....BUT now that I think about it, having to drive backwards kinda sounds like a PITA ......at least for me personally....Dunno🤷‍♂️
 

GrumpyFarmer

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
3,596
5,248
113
Ohio
I am not sure I am following(I don’t have a land pane, but….)…Are land planes designed for one way directional use or two way?

Is the idea to drive into the work/ dust in front of the machine?

if buying a skid steer implement for a B, I’d make sure on the implement weight before purchase.
 

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,121
5,575
113
Michigan
I am not sure I am following(I don’t have a land pane, but….)…Are land planes designed for one way directional use or two way?

Is the idea to drive into the work/ dust in front of the machine?

if buying a skid steer implement for a B, I’d make sure on the implement weight before purchase.
Oooooo....I didn't think about "pushing it".......That might be cool.

My head immediately pictured "dragging" it backward?????


Hmmmm.............. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
 

mikester

Well-known member

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
4,148
2,836
113
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you can lift it with your FEL you can probably make it work.

You get more bang for your buck and better grade control with a hydraulic TNT kit and use a grader blade with gauge wheels.
 

biketopia

Well-known member

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
443
475
63
Warrenton VA
I was picking up some firewood last week from a fellow with an SVL-75 and noticed he had an SSQA land plane for it. Asked how he liked it with his skid, he mentioned that it did ok going forward (the SSQA version has blades on both sides) but felt he had much better results dragging it, which resulted in a lot of utilizing the camera and mirrors. On an open-station tractor, not, the end of the world, though. I believe the Catawba version he had would do both SSQA and 3-pt. I love my Catawba 3-pt land-plane behind my B2650. If you got one that could do both, at least you have options.

 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,493
11,274
113
Sandpoint, ID
I've done it, it doesn't work half as well on a tractor loader as it does on a skid steer.
The geometry and traction is better.
And it works MUCH better on the three point of the tractor than the skid steer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

biketopia

Well-known member

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
443
475
63
Warrenton VA
I've done it, it doesn't work half as well on a tractor loader as it does on a skid steer.
The geometry and traction is better.
And it works MUCH better on the three point of the tractor than the skid steer.
The guy I was chatting with said the same. That while it worked better while dragging, he would imagine it would be fantastic behind a tractor on the 3pt. Mine works great that way.
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
346
195
43
Virginia
I wouldn't try it off the front.
For one thing, your visibility will be really bad.
Also, steering will be really tough and put a lot of side load on your FEL which is not good.

If you push it, you will get a chattering vibration, if you drag it, you are looking backwards.

So IMHO, stick with 3ph version and pull it
 

konakid

New member
May 30, 2016
13
0
1
Kailua Kona
Some of my same thoughts. This tractor is real heavy for its size, and loader lift and power is impressive. So I will have more power on a smaller more maneuverable tractor.

It looks like it could be useful after seeing this Tractor Time With Tim video. He was using it in both directions, and with the tilt, looks like it could work okay, especially if the area is not just a long open driveway - in which case a pull behind would of course be the better option.

Just don’t know yet how much switching back and forth would be right now if needing to remove BH each time.

 

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,983
2,466
113
WestTn/NoMs
I decided to ask this based on a pending purchase of a tractor that has a removable BH - but supposedly it isn’t all that easy and quick to remove (Kubota B26). It would be nice if there was an easy and quicker way to level up and maintain my gravel driveway than switching out to the 3pt.

I was told there is a front SkidSteer Land Plane that is available. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? And if it would work on a B26 (it will have 3rd function hydraulics)

Worth it?
I think the B26 backhoe mount is similar to the mount on my L35, except for the top connection. My hoe hadn't been off since new, I think, and required a little rust freeing, but once that was done it's straightforward.
• Rock the top forward a little to take the pressure off the top connection.
• Release the top locks.
• Rock the top back to release it from the top locks.
• Using the stabilizers, lift the hoe out of the bottom hooks.
• Disconnect the hoses, reconfigure per the manual, and switch any valves as necessary.
• Install the 3pt linkage (I don't find this onerous at all)

The toughest part for me is aligning the tractor to the backhoe when reattaching. Unless you're switching more than once or twice a week, I don't think you'll find it too time consuming.
 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,493
11,274
113
Sandpoint, ID
The BT820 is a quick attach BH, pull 2 pins and 2 Hydraulic lines and it's off, not hard to do at all.