SSQA adaptor for pin-on loader..??

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a pin-on loader (LA-1002) which, although popular in the mid 1990’s… is not often mentioned by attachment/implement mfr’s these days…. as most are nowadays made for SSQA stuff.

I didn’t like the cost and weight of converting my loader to SSQA …and then having to face the cost and wt of converting my bucket as well…. When I ran across a really simple and low-cost quick-attach which didn’t require such penalties. (Here’s a link to the post I made about this: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx-quick-attach-is-it-worth-it.39902/#post-338409 )

Now that I have this inexpensive and convenient adaptation… It occurs to me that it may be a good idea to have a SSQA adaptor made for my pin on loader… in case in the future I need to borrow someone’s implement… or incase I need to buy an implement only available in SSQA mounting.

So I contacted someone who will make one for me …and they’ve offered to do so for $1200 …. and I was ready to order it done…… when it occurred to me ..that I really can only imagine my needing the bucket and pallet-forks I already have… What possible future implement could I conceive of needing..? considering I have no front-hydraulics on my tractor …and no land-clearing ops expected..?

Is it likely that I’ll ever really need a SSQA adaptor ? and should I spend $1200 plus freight for an adaptor that will probably just sit around taking up room..?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
this ?
Yes… that is the “type” of adaptor I’m considering …and wondering if I’ll ever actually need it for any reason (since I already have material bucket and pallet forks that fit my loader without a SSQA).

I’m basically asking the tribe “what non-hydraulic-powered loader implement do you use that requires a SSQA mating?”

(I don’t presently have front hyd’s… I’d have to add that for any hyd-powered implement)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I found the pin ons to be a PITA when I turned 60( 10 years ago).Made SSQA adapters for the D-14, bought BX23S with SSQA.
No matter how old you get, you're NOT getting any younger !
Body doesn't work as well as it did, things take longer to heal....stay sore longer.....
SSQA makes 'tractor life' easier.

If you get a lot of snow , a gas powered SSQA snowblower is a nice tool to have. Easy, quick change over from bucket to blower and back unlike ant PTO driven blower.
I have a blank SSQA plate, great for pushing cars around, skids of stuff, brush into the bush.....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I found the pin ons to be a PITA when I turned 60( 10 years ago).Made SSQA adapters for the D-14, bought BX23S with SSQA.
No matter how old you get, you're NOT getting any younger !
Body doesn't work as well as it did, things take longer to heal....stay sore longer.....
SSQA makes 'tractor life' easier.

If you get a lot of snow , a gas powered SSQA snowblower is a nice tool to have. Easy, quick change over from bucket to blower and back unlike ant PTO driven blower.
I have a blank SSQA plate, great for pushing cars around, skids of stuff, brush into the bush.....
Is there an easy way to store that blank plate to make it easy to hook up and not fight it each time?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I just rest is up against the wall, on one 'end'(so 16" on ground, 48" vertical ). Weighs maybe 30-35# ? I know I can kinda easily carry it..though I may weld a 'tab' on the top ridge, it'd balance real easy then.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
i had called the company who mfr’d pin on pallet forks for me …because they did a Great Job on that… It’s well-built and sturdy at a fair price… so I asked them what it’d cost me for a pin-on SSQA adaptor.

They quoted $1100 for a pin-on SSQA for my particular loader (LA1002)…. and they asked what I planned to use it for. I told them I was contemplating it …since I didn’t know what I might need in the future…. They said they’d need me to approve the drawings which they’ll email to me.

I rec’d the drawings…they look good…. I just hadn’t made up my mind if I really needed a pin-on SSQA adaptor … so I‘ve not responded further. This was about 1-1/2 weeks ago.

Anyway…. on Tuesday I rec’d a voice-mail that it was ready for shipment and they requested payment. I”ve since rec’d an email with the invoice requesting payment.

I’m wondering if I‘d miscommunicated… or if they simply use their expediency as a “sales tool” to get me to go-ahead and ”go-for-it”….. :unsure:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I have a pin on FEL and am doing the same thinking. But as I think about what I may do with it, grapple, pallet forks, I get in to needing aux hydraulics up front and due to the age of my B3200, am I in a self design/cobble solution? If I do go to a SSQA, I will convert fully and ditch the pin connections on the bucket and install the SSQA plate. I think at this point I would get more use out of a 6’ land plane and leave the FEL as is.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
GH, sounds like you didn't reply to their 'are the plans OK' email. If so, have to wonder WHY they built the unit ? Also wonder about their voice mail, as last communication had been the email with plans....

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My previous tractors - B7500 and L3200 - both had pin-on buckets. When the need arose for forks, toothbar, homemade ratchet rake, bucket extensions, etc. I made them so they were mounted to the bucket. They all worked OK. The L4240 has an SSQA bucket. I've already made forks, 8' snow plow, and am working on an adaptor to go from SSQA to 3-point for mounting some stuff. I added a linear actuator to operate the SSQA levers from the cab.

I could have gotten by with a pin-on but with the SSQA the attachments are much more user friendly and rugged.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
OK, Well… having rec’d two more calls from them they need payment before shipping….. I called them and explained to them I was feeling a little bit guilty … thinking perhaps they built the thing based on my inquiry …and that I was actually still “on the fence” as to whether or not I really needed vs wanted ….the thing.

The lady was quick to relieve my concern….saying “no problem…. we’ll sell it to someone else at some point…. Let us know if we CAN ever do any more business with you.” 🙂

I then told her the reason I was considering a SSQA was because I was thinking I might get a “stump bucket”…. and asked “Do you guys ever make a stump bucket?”

She asked me to describe what I was calling a “stump bucket”… and I did…and I mentioned that “perhaps you know of a company “Titan” …??….they make one for a SSQA system…. and ….

….she politely interrupted saying, “Oh YES! We’ve made a number of things for Titan! … we know them Well!” :oops:

(The company I have been dealing with is https://hayspear.com/brands/Washburn-Company.html also known as Washburn Implements

They have offered to build a heavier-duty version than what I pointed them to at Titan.

(meanwhile, I’d already hired a guy with a skidsteer to clear the area of mesquite in question.)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
They are located in Lamar, Mo. and very easy to deal with. They are easy to talk to about their products and don't pressure to sell something. They started with building elec over hyd. hay bale spikes for pickups. They operate like most companies in America did 40 years ago.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
They are located in Lamar, Mo. and very easy to deal with. They are easy to talk to about their products and don't pressure to sell something. They started with building elec over hyd. hay bale spikes for pickups. They operate like most companies in America did 40 years ago.
Back in the early to mid 80's when the use of big round bales got to going there were a lot of folks in south east Nebraska. Kansas and Mo that were running around with these folks bale spears on there pickups. Got to be a good company to still be around.

Reactions: 1 user