Square Hay Baler for BX series?

alyvols

Equipment
BX2670 with a belly mower and howse bush hog.
May 17, 2013
Franklin, TN
I'm still searching web to see if there's such a thing, but thought I would check here too.

I have about 10 acres of pasture and two horses. WAY too much grass for them to eat up. I would also like to get some hay out if it in the fall.
I know the big round hay bales wouldn't be an option, but do any of you know if there is a square hay baler that would fit on my BX2670?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
we had an old case towed behind a little farmall I don't remember which one, but the bailer had its own motor so nothing off the tractor,, I do remember the pucker factor on hills with it though,,,, That aside you might do better having a local come in for X dollars and cut rake and bail it for you a trailer on the BX and you can pick em up in the field and stack em in the barn.. Just a thought

Reactions: 1 user

cmustang

Equipment
B7100hst 50" tiller Dodge 2500 diesel 700 Grizzly 79 K5 blazer 40" Boggers
Jun 9, 2012
Mayerthorpe, Alberta, Canada
the older square balers didn't take very much horse power most of them had fly wheels to help with spike loads when the plunger pushes forward. The john deer B had 16 hp and run square balers. The bx may not be heavy enough in the hills

alyvols

Equipment
May 17, 2013
Franklin, TN
Thanks,

Our pastures are actually pretty flat.. no rolling hills or anything.
I found one, but it's like 14K!! as much as the tractor is worth.. lol

I think we may have to hire someone to come out and bale it.

The question is still open though.. if you find out anything else. Please share :)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I don't think there is a square baler made for small tractors, if that is what you are asking. If you are asking whether your BX will run one, you have two options- hope someone has a BX and has had experience, or borrow one and try it with yours. I don't think your BX is big enough to pull a baler and a wagon filling up with hay. You may be able to pull the baler alone and kick them to the ground, but at the price of a good baler, I would definitely look into finding someone to bale it for you. My dad has done that in the past- bale it for half the take. The owner gets the other half. Depending on how many bales and how far away the field is, it can be worth it.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I'm still searching web to see if there's such a thing, but thought I would check here too.

I have about 10 acres of pasture and two horses. WAY too much grass for them to eat up. I would also like to get some hay out if it in the fall.
I know the big round hay bales wouldn't be an option, but do any of you know if there is a square hay baler that would fit on my BX2670?
Hi my neighbor has an old IH baler with a 15hp Wisconsin motor on it. His dad used it for years to bale hay, I'm not sure what year it is but I think it's from the 60's.

alyvols

Equipment
May 17, 2013
Franklin, TN
I actually found the goodwin concepts site last night, will check out the other one today.
Now I'm trying to figure out if its even worth looking into. If the hay I produce is good quality, I may be able to sell it, and pay off the baler.
I just need to call around and see how much ppl charge to bale hay.

Thanks so much for the replies!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah they are,, but dayum they is about a cute as a speckled pup

John_G

Equipment
'01 B2410, RCK5424B, Turf tires, grader blade and 4' shredder
May 27, 2011
Canton, TX
It's not so much a factor of power, but one of WEIGHT. The tractor should weigh at least as much as a towed impliment and the more the better. Our B2410 can handle the power requirments of an older Sq baler, but not the weight of it.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Look around used equip sites for an older John Deere 14T square baler or one around that size. Many comments on sales sites say they've run this baler behind a Farmall C which only has 19HP.
Years ago I ran one like the 14T baler behind a JD Model B and although slow, it made good square bales.
Any new mini sized balers look like they're prohibitively expensive!