Spreading fertilizer, lime, and seed together...

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Absolutely and thanks for asking.
And I would like to ask if you can decipher the results, when compared to the total amount hand written at the bottom of the page. I dont think they made a mistake but it doesnt hurt to double check if you can help or know someone else that might.
We must be very close to each other. Paul and I graduated high school together. If you have the time go by the bulk plant on Hwy 48N and watch how they mix the different products. You will see that even clover seed should be suspended very well.
Your pH must not be too far off at only 625lbe/acre. Pelletized lime works well and pretty fast but the tradeoff is it doesn't last as long as lime from a quarry.
For your small plot save yourself the headache and let them spread.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My 3 point spreader was a gift from a good friend who didn't need it any more. It has a double agitator inside that drive off the gearbox that drives the spreader disc. One thing to remember with them is a careful cleaning afterwards or they will rust out quickly, especially with high nitrogen fertilizer. Mine gets washes with the pressure washer immediately after I use it and the slide doors get oiled and the gearbox and pto shaft greased.

... and the back of the tractor too, as the pelletized 46 gets everywhere it seems like.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mine doesn't get put away without a thorough washing either.
[/QUOTE

I see you can get a spreader with a poly hopper now. Not sure what good that is because the components below the hopper are still steel and corrosion prone anyway.

I looked at a 'Pendular' spreader but they are super expensive and I really don't know how they work.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My mind would go to cheap/economical regarding a poly hopper. I would also question how it would hold up under the Sun's UV's. Probably ~5 years max life where my steel hopper is over 30 years old.

Take care of your machinery and your machinery will take care of you. ;)

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
My mind would go to cheap/economical regarding a poly hopper. I would also question how it would hold up under the Sun's UV's. Probably ~5 years max life where my steel hopper is over 30 years old.

Take care of your machinery and your machinery will take care of you. ;)
Sprayer tanks last for years and they are usually some kinda plastic

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yes, my sprayer tank is probably 15+ years old but it is always stored inside. Out in the exposed sunlight, it would have cracked and been gone years ago.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
We must be very close to each other. Paul and I graduated high school together. If you have the time go by the bulk plant on Hwy 48N and watch how they mix the different products. You will see that even clover seed should be suspended very well.
Your pH must not be too far off at only 625lbe/acre. Pelletized lime works well and pretty fast but the tradeoff is it doesn't last as long as lime from a quarry.
For your small plot save yourself the headache and let them spread.
I live in Pinewood area, near the Piney River. I stopped by the Coop and I noticed the separate bins of different products inside the building, but I didnt get to witness any mixing. Nobody was inside the office at the time, as they were all busy out spreading for customers, but there was a commercial truck driver who was parked out front at the auger drop, and I talked to him briefly and left. Im glad I was able to to spread this myself by hand, a section at a time, but there were times I wished they would have done it.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Im not sure how to draw straight lines in a picture, but I tried to separate the three areas I planted with a red line. All three areas are pretty close to the same size, though it doesnt appear that way in the picture. I planted the first area on the left on Aug 10th, middle Sept 10th, and the right on Sept 22nd. Im glad my hand spreaders/seeders held up better than I did, lol.
20201002_084743.jpg

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Im not sure how to draw straight lines in a picture, but I tried to separate the three areas I planted with a red line. All three areas are pretty close to the same size, though it doesnt appear that way in the picture. I planted the first area on the left on Aug 10th, middle Sept 10th, and the right on Sept 22nd. Im glad my hand spreaders/seeders held up better than I did, lol.
View attachment 49009
Looks really good. Very clean and even spread.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks good to me too. Wish I could develop hay stands like that without resorting to heavy applications of 46 Urea but then out soil is heavy clay so it's not conducive to growth without artificial help. I have to do 46 alternated with ag lime because the Ph gets out of hand. Viscous and expensive circle.

I can, however grow broadleaf weeds with the best of them.... That and thistle. Just had to spray 2-4-D (B) this fall.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Looks really good. Very clean and even spread.
Thanks.
Clean for now, lol.
Looks good to me too. Wish I could develop hay stands like that without resorting to heavy applications of 46 Urea but then out soil is heavy clay so it's not conducive to growth without artificial help. I have to do 46 alternated with ag lime because the Ph gets out of hand. Viscous and expensive circle.

I can, however grow broadleaf weeds with the best of them.... That and thistle. Just had to spray 2-4-D (B) this fall.
Thanks.
Im sure those pesky weeds will be there next spring.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I was curous, had to re-read the 1st post. Only 1.5 acres ? Mighty small to have big equipment hauling through ! Besides, even 3 trips going round and round isn't going to take all day. The neighboure cross the street with TWO full acres can mow his grass in 22 minutes, when weeding/feeding it might take him an hour. I hand sow the veggie patch( 1/3 ac) in rye every fall. Space out 5 buckets,grab one, seed to the next, repat 4 more times.If I'm thinking I start at the FAR end of the garden....

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I was curous, had to re-read the 1st post. Only 1.5 acres ? Mighty small to have big equipment hauling through ! Besides, even 3 trips going round and round isn't going to take all day. The neighboure cross the street with TWO full acres can mow his grass in 22 minutes, when weeding/feeding it might take him an hour. I hand sow the veggie patch( 1/3 ac) in rye every fall. Space out 5 buckets,grab one, seed to the next, repat 4 more times.If I'm thinking I start at the FAR end of the garden....
That really great. Sounds like you have a great plan.
I must admit that I have physical limitations that prevent me from doing what I could normally do about 7 years ago. So thats part of the reason for me doing this as slow as Ive done it, so Im happy to have accomplished this much.
Thanks.

smackdab

We've broadcast literally thousands of acres over the years on our farm with a seed/ fertilizer blend. Everything from cereal grains to oilseed radish and clover. Very common, very effective if the applicator is conscientious. The fertilizer/ lime/ seed thing has me kind of surprised. Never really ever seen lime blended with anything else, for a couple reasons. Your lime app rate is low enough that you'll likely get a good job with the fertilizer blended. I would not, however, blend any seed with that combo. I've seed small areas with a hand held spreader, I think you'll like the results better doing something like that, in a different trip. As mentioned, a few ways to lightly incorporate your clover. A bed spring, a chunk of chain link fence, heck just dragging a chain or a piece of heavy pipe may be enough. Clover doesn't need to be very deep at all.