Spreading fertilizer, lime, and seed together...

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thats what my local COOP suggested they could do for me this fall, and I like the concept but I have reservations. I have a small area of around 1.5 acres that I want to plant some clover and winter wheat in this fall. Again, they said they could mix, load, and then spread the fertilizer, lime, and seed all at the same time. I keep thinking after them mixing and loading, then the bumpy ride of transportation to my property, that the small clover seed will settle to some extent and the spread will be inconsistent.
Should I spread the seed separately myself, which I dont prefer but could do with my hand-spreader myself, and does anyone have any experience and/or advice with this method the COOP has suggested with incorporating and spreading the seed with the fertilizer and lime ?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The bumpy ride won't be a problem but the mixture does need to be thoroughly stirred. If you are concerned about the clover, then overseed it with a cyclone seeder. I would.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I do it all the time, myself with my 1/4 ton spreader. It has an internal agitator / stirrer that keeps the mix in suspension. Typically, I spread 46 granulated (clay coated slow release) urea, alfalfa seed, Broom grass seed and peelletized ag lime if the soil test warrants it. I use a handheld digital Ph meter and a wet soil sample to determine the ph and apply lime accordingly.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If they are running new gear, it could be being combined/mixed at point of use. Many of the new systems have multiple tanks and can vary/mix on the fly.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
The bumpy ride won't be a problem but the mixture does need to be thoroughly stirred. If you are concerned about the clover, then overseed it with a cyclone seeder. I would.
Sounds good and Im leaning that direction. Thanks
I do it all the time, myself with my 1/4 ton spreader. It has an internal agitator / stirrer that keeps the mix in suspension. Typically, I spread 46 granulated (clay coated slow release) urea, alfalfa seed, Broom grass seed and peelletized ag lime if the soil test warrants it. I use a handheld digital Ph meter and a wet soil sample to determine the ph and apply lime accordingly.
Interesting. Thanks for that information.
If they are running new gear, it could be being combined/mixed at point of use. Many of the new systems have multiple tanks and can vary/mix on the fly.
They said its thoroughly mixed prior to loading and spreading. Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I do have to ask, did you have a soil analysis done? Most coop's will do that for free if you contract wit them for the application? reason I ask is, you need to determine the Ph and if it requires lime. It may require sulfur instead.

Reactions: 1 users

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I do have to ask, did you have a soil analysis done? Most coop's will do that for free if you contract wit them for the application? reason I ask is, you need to determine the Ph and if it requires lime. It may require sulfur instead.
Absolutely and thanks for asking.
And I would like to ask if you can decipher the results, when compared to the total amount hand written at the bottom of the page. I dont think they made a mistake but it doesnt hurt to double check if you can help or know someone else that might.

Attachments

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks fine to me. Your mag is high and the lime will lower that. Calcium is high too. Around here we use sulfur applied as a liquid.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Mudball,

I do a lot of food plot planting, I would not mix my seed into the other items. Between lime and fertilizer it looks like you have over 1,000lbs, are they just using a rotary 3pt spreader? If so I would suggest to first spread the lime, then spread the fertilizer, those are both very quick tasks with this amount of material. I would personaly use a hand spreader for the seed to ensure good acurate coverage over the area. You are only planting 1.5 acres it's not a large area to hand spread the seed.

What do you plan to do before spreading and seeding, are you using a rototiller, disc harrow? What about after spreading and seeding? cultipacker, chain harrow?

Good luck with your plots.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Looks fine to me. Your mag is high and the lime will lower that. Calcium is high too. Around here we use sulfur applied as a liquid.
Sounds great. Thanks for looking and the help.
Mudball,

I do a lot of food plot planting, I would not mix my seed into the other items. Between lime and fertilizer it looks like you have over 1,000lbs, are they just using a rotary 3pt spreader? If so I would suggest to first spread the lime, then spread the fertilizer, those are both very quick tasks with this amount of material. I would personaly use a hand spreader for the seed to ensure good acurate coverage over the area. You are only planting 1.5 acres it's not a large area to hand spread the seed.

What do you plan to do before spreading and seeding, are you using a rototiller, disc harrow? What about after spreading and seeding? cultipacker, chain harrow?

Good luck with your plots.
After hearing your input I will most likely spread the seed by hand. I believe the COOP spread using those large aluminum trailers they had on their lot, unless they have a small field truck to spread it with. I plan on having the soil well disk just before they apply the lime and fertilizer and then I was going to lightly disk that in. After that I was just going to spread the seed on top and Im trying to find a decent used cultipacker. Do you have any homemade ideas, if I cant find a used cultipacker ? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds great. Thanks for looking and the help.
After hearing your input I will most likely spread the seed by hand. I believe the COOP spread using those large aluminum trailers they had on their lot, unless they have a small field truck to spread it with. I plan on having the soil well disk just before they apply the lime and fertilizer and then I was going to lightly disk that in. After that I was just going to spread the seed on top and Im trying to find a decent used cultipacker. Do you have any homemade ideas, if I cant find a used cultipacker ? Thanks for the help.

Just use a drag. An old bed spring works well for setting seed after broadcasting it. Don't overthink the process. Old bedsprings are cheap and usually found in roadside ditches where people toss them.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Mud all, as stated above a chain drag will work ok but I have to say things seem to do better with a cultipacker. There are a lot of used cultipackers around for about $80-100 per foot of width. If you any more help let me know, I take my food plots quite seriously and work hard to get the best crops possible.

Good luck with your plots

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would let them mix the lime and fertilizer together and spread it. They will run it threw a mixer that thoroughly mixes it before loading it on the spreader. I have spread thousands of tons of lime and fertilizer over the years with 5 and 6 ton trailer spreaders and seeded down many acres. For that size plot, blending the 2 and spreading it will be fine. I would get that well disced in, then spread your seed and lightly mix it in. As far as packing it in, if you plan on mowing it a lot, then doing helps keep it smooth, otherwise it really isn’t necessary if the seed has good soil contact.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Mixing the clover seed 50-50 with sand and using a "cyclone seeder" is one way of insuring more even coverage/distribution.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Just use a drag. An old bed spring works well for setting seed after broadcasting it. Don't overthink the process. Old bedsprings are cheap and usually found in roadside ditches where people toss them.
Thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind.
Mud all, as stated above a chain drag will work ok but I have to say things seem to do better with a cultipacker. There are a lot of used cultipackers around for about $80-100 per foot of width. If you any more help let me know, I take my food plots quite seriously and work hard to get the best crops possible.

Good luck with your plots
Ive been searching Craigslist and other methods to no avail thus far. Chainlink sounds good. Nothing wrong with taking this seriously and thanks for the help and offer.
I would let them mix the lime and fertilizer together and spread it. They will run it threw a mixer that thoroughly mixes it before loading it on the spreader. I have spread thousands of tons of lime and fertilizer over the years with 5 and 6 ton trailer spreaders and seeded down many acres. For that size plot, blending the 2 and spreading it will be fine. I would get that well disced in, then spread your seed and lightly mix it in. As far as packing it in, if you plan on mowing it a lot, then doing helps keep it smooth, otherwise it really isn’t necessary if the seed has good soil contact.
I understand and thanks for the help. Yes they said they would thoroughly mix the lime and fertilizer prior to loading and delivering.
Mixing the clover seed 50-50 with sand and using a "cyclone seeder" is one way of insuring more even coverage/distribution.
Interesting tip. Thanks

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thats what my local COOP suggested they could do for me this fall, and I like the concept but I have reservations. I have a small area of around 1.5 acres that I want to plant some clover and winter wheat in this fall. Again, they said they could mix, load, and then spread the fertilizer, lime, and seed all at the same time. I keep thinking after them mixing and loading, then the bumpy ride of transportation to my property, that the small clover seed will settle to some extent and the spread will be inconsistent.
Should I spread the seed separately myself, which I dont prefer but could do with my hand-spreader myself, and does anyone have any experience and/or advice with this method the COOP has suggested with incorporating and spreading the seed with the fertilizer and lime ?
we have smaller fields at my camp. We used a co-op spreader last year. it was a major pain because the fields are bumpy and it was hard to turn around. If you don’t have enough room to make wide turns use a 3 point spreader.

Reactions: 1 users

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
we have smaller fields at my camp. We used a co-op spreader last year. it was a major pain because the fields are bumpy and it was hard to turn around. If you don’t have enough room to make wide turns use a 3 point spreader.
This is pretty flat, smooth, and there shouldnt be an issue turning around, but thanks just the same. They know its a small plot but I will mention it to them again.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My 3 point spreader has a built in pin hitch on the back so I pull a Fuerst Tine harrow behind it to set my seed and amendment spread. Like the Fuerst, use it more on the gravel drives than anything else. Great drive leveller.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
My 3 point spreader has a built in pin hitch on the back so I pull a Fuerst Tine harrow behind it to set my seed and amendment spread. Like the Fuerst, use it more on the gravel drives than anything else. Great drive leveller.
Sounds like you have a great setup. Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds like you have a great setup. Thanks

Just got home from spreading 400 pounds of 46 urea on 3.5 acres of hayfield. Took longer to drive there than spread it. Field needed a shot of nitrogen.