Sprayer on 3 pt hitch

BE18driver

May 26, 2017
Cookeville, TN
I am thinking about buying a sprayer for weed control and fertilizing. I have a near new L3301. The spec sheet states 1998 lbs at the lift points ( which I suppose are the holes in the lift arms) and 1435 lbs 24 inches behind the lift points ( which appears to be where the hitch arms mate with the implement pins ). The sprayer I am looking at has a 110 gal tank and is driven by the PTO. My guess is the sprayer full would be 1000 -1100 lbs total. Have I overlooked anything ?
Ken

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
1998 lbs is the end of the lift arms same points at the pins on the Implement.

1435 lbs is at 24" behind the pins.

Fully loaded you'll be about 1300 lbs for most sprayer models.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The measure at 24" behind lift point is supposed to reflect the centre of mass of the implement, and therefore a realistic measure of how heavy an implement you can lift.

For example, my chipper starts at the pins (aka lift point), but the bulk of the weight is 2 foot back where the fly wheel is. For a long implement like a rotary cutter the centre of mass is probably more like 5 foot behind the pins.

A sprayer centre of mass is probably around 24" behind the pins, so you should be able to lift 1400 pounds.

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
I'm loving my new Fimco boom sprayer, 40 gallon, 10 foot boom, 12v electric pump, 3pt so I can install the sprayer in like 20 seconds on my Land Pride QH10 quick hitch and I'm off to the races no PTO shaft to bother with, electric on/off switch.

So far I have applied week killer twice (Speedzone) it obliterated every weed on my 1 acre it was hilarious they turned black and dissolved. Applied bug killer. Today I have 5 gallons of liquid fertilizer concentrate I'll be spraying.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
BE18driver,

I did similar to deathtoblackberries, except that I built mine from scratch to hold the sprayer I got on the cheep from Tractor Supply.

Attached are pictures of my tractor sprayer.

Dave

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
BE18driver,

I did similar to deathtoblackberries, except that I built mine from scratch to hold the sprayer I got on the cheep from Tractor Supply.

Attached are pictures of my tractor sprayer.

Dave
Dave nicely done, check out the Fimco Pro tank cap it has a red flapper for a garden hose so you don't have to take the cap off plus an attached 32 oz measuring cup that sits inside the tank upside down attached to the tank cap. $19.99 at Tractor Supply. http://www.fimcoindustries.com/Multi-Lid.html

In other news good thing I purchased some garden hose washers, the Fimco washer inside the tank drain cap was already leaking today. The rubber washer I replaced it with sealed without having to tighten it so tight, plastic threads so got to be careful.

Last edited:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Nice sprayers, death and Pepsi. I have a 55 gallon tow behind for my lawn tractor with a 3hp Briggs and Hypro roller pump, 2 boomless nozzles. I love it...looks just like a Demco ag sprayer...all it needs is a mini SMV emblem on the back.

I'm not a fan of the 12v electric pumps for lawn tractors at least. The engine alternator can't keep up with the amp draw of the pump but hopefully with a 40amp or so alternator on your tractor you'll be ok.

GEPM64

Equipment
B2601 with FEL, Box Scraper, rotary mower, 3pt snowblower and Sovema Tiller
Sep 15, 2014
Hazelridge, Manitoba, Canada
Also as an FYI, I can control the left, Center and right booms independently which is handy. I do have a boomless nozzle as well that supposedly does 30 feet, but the wind affects it too much so I don’t use it.

Regards,

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Nice sprayers, death and Pepsi. I have a 55 gallon tow behind for my lawn tractor with a 3hp Briggs and Hypro roller pump, 2 boomless nozzles. I love it...looks just like a Demco ag sprayer...all it needs is a mini SMV emblem on the back.

I'm not a fan of the 12v electric pumps for lawn tractors at least. The engine alternator can't keep up with the amp draw of the pump but hopefully with a 40amp or so alternator on your tractor you'll be ok.
mcfarmall,

According to the paperwork with my Fimco, it only draws about 7amps at max pressure. I have not checked it, but it does not seem to be a big load on the factory alternator.

Dave

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
mcfarmall,

According to the paperwork with my Fimco, it only draws about 7amps at max pressure. I have not checked it, but it does not seem to be a big load on the factory alternator.

Dave
Correct, the 2.5 gpm pump draws 7 amps @ 12 volts and the 40 amp 12 volt alternator has no problem supplying that. Older CUT's only have a dynamo with far less capacity.

By the way the 3.8 gpm pump (an upgrade high volume pump) draws about 11 amps at 12 volts, 1 amp more than the BX2380 cigarette lighter power outlet is rated for. Yet that outlet is on a 20 amp fuse so I think it would be fine.

BE18driver

May 26, 2017
Cookeville, TN
This past week I bought a 110 gallon AGSPRAY sprayer from my local coop.
It has a single nozzle that gives me about a 30 foot wide spray plus a hand held sprayer. It mounts on my L3301 3 pt hitch. The pump attaches directly to the PTO shaft and has a 6-8 inch arm that prevents the pump body from rotating while in use. The controls are just behind my left shoulder within easy reach. I have sprayed 1 small section ( 1-2 acres ) of grass with 2-4- D weed killer and it seems to be doing job. I will do the rest of the property once I am sure that I have not destroyed the lawn.

Ken

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Richmond, IN, United States
This past week I bought a 110 gallon AGSPRAY sprayer from my local coop.
It has a single nozzle that gives me about a 30 foot wide spray plus a hand held sprayer. It mounts on my L3301 3 pt hitch. The pump attaches directly to the PTO shaft and has a 6-8 inch arm that prevents the pump body from rotating while in use. The controls are just behind my left shoulder within easy reach. I have sprayed 1 small section ( 1-2 acres ) of grass with 2-4- D weed killer and it seems to be doing job. I will do the rest of the property once I am sure that I have not destroyed the lawn.

Ken

Nice-I use the App Spraying Simple on Android with my sprayer. I have a phone mount on the hood and I can see my phone as I drive. You load the info about the sprayer, nozzles, and acres. It then tells you how fast to drive and actually shows your speed as you drive to get your coverage right. I also use dye in the tank so I don't over-lap to much!

Its free also!

Egressman