Spool or control valve rebuild

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Was there someone here that rebuilds spool valves or whatever they call the valves that control the FEL on my L175?
It's started to bypass and the float function doesn't work properly when the fluid gets hot.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
You can buy the valve from Vevor for $68. are you certain the valve is the problem? serviced the hydraulic system, test temp and flow, and the cylinders?
Can you explain what you mean by "it starts to bypass and "the float function doesn't work"?

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
You can buy the valve from Vevor for $68. are you certain the valve is the problem? serviced the hydraulic system, test temp and flow, and the cylinders?
Can you explain what you mean by "it starts to bypass and "the float function doesn't work"?
Fairly sure it's the valve, I recently rebuilt all the cylinders, rods were all good, no leakage there that I know of. The float function has always been a little suspect, worked almost all the time, often it would disengage while back dragging. Haven't checked pump output, but it seems to be OK since I can lift the same 600lbs deer corn with the same amount of effort. Thing is when doing that while load is up it bleeds down, not much, but at about 1000rpm it does bleed down a little, never did that before.
Heck for $68 I'd take a chance on that being the problem.
Get to it soon as I can, right now trying to let the body heal from a fight me and my 640 Ford had with an Oak tree........I lost, broken clutch pedal and bent steering wheel on the Ford.

Is this the valve you're referring to? Would something like that have a float function since I like using it to back drag? Just looked at the F&Q, and it says it has float function, then couple of answers later it says no.

Thanks

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Was there someone here that rebuilds spool valves or whatever they call the valves that control the FEL on my L175?
It's started to bypass and the float function doesn't work properly when the fluid gets hot.
The only rebuildable parts in these loader valves are the external seals and the return/detent mechanism. If it's leaking internally the only fix is a replacement. There are a lot of inexpensive valves that will work in your application. Post a picture of your old valve and I will suggest some possibilities. You can spend a lot or a little and everything in between

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
And your recommendation is?
The Vevor valves are real mystery boxes of unknown origin. I would not equate buying one with burning currency but you can get the sane design from known origin for not much more money. Here is one source for a true loader valve with joystick control. They offer a two stick version for a good bit less. Don't forget to buy the power beyond sleevexwhich is sold separately.

Dan

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Thanks for the warning on Vevor.
Started to look at Surplus Center, got very confused as to what to buy.
Also after looking at the pricing, I'll probably run till failure. Right now I try to keep the old L175 running as close to new as possible and the only reason I thought about replacing the valve was with a 300lb load it would very slowly leak down at 1000rpm. Nothing I can't live with by just raising the RPM.
The float function not working consistently is something else I'd like to fix, but it looks like pricing of a new quality valve is not in my budget.
Thanks again.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for the warning on Vevor.
Started to look at Surplus Center, got very confused as to what to buy.
Also after looking at the pricing, I'll probably run till failure. Right now I try to keep the old L175 running as close to new as possible and the only reason I thought about replacing the valve was with a 300lb load it would very slowly leak down at 1000rpm. Nothing I can't live with by just raising the RPM.
The float function not working consistently is something else I'd like to fix, but it looks like pricing of a new quality valve is not in my budget.
Thanks again.
As I said you can spend a lot or a little. Picture of the old valve please.

Dan

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I am not able to send a pic right now, I’m laid up from an accident I had while on my Ford tractor. Got into a fight with an oak tree, limb and lost. Spent several nights in the hospital with a collapsed lung, large hole in my left leg in, multiple sore spots on my interior. No broken or bruised ribs.
Orange tractor is 300 miles from where I’m at now, but maybe I can get my neighbor who is taking care of deer feeders and stuff to go over and take a picture of it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow, sorry to hear that. Hope your recovery goes as fast and as pain free as possible.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I'll try and keep this short. I was shredding an area I've done dozens of times before, crawling around in low gear.
Next thing I can remember is being doubled over still sitting in the seat, motor running, tractor not moving. Reached around shut the motor off. Hobbled to the house, called a neighbor and he drove me about 54 miles to the hospital. They inserted a chest tube for the collapsed lung the then off to the trama center in San Antonio. No bruised or broken ribs, fractured left fibula, hole the size of half dollar in the left leg, about 75% of the skin scrapped off my left arm.
Looking back, it looks like limb caught the left tire and the tractor spun around somehow bringing the about 6" limb around, came down, hit my back pinning me down continued down, bent the steering whee, then hit the clutch pedal, broke it off and kept the pedal depressed thus throwing it out of gear and kept the shredder from running.
Things happen fast, again I have no idea how it happened, and the rehab on this 80 year old body is going to take a while.
IMG_0168.jpg

• Wow

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
What an awful experience! Things happen so quickly and of course we don't expect them. Perhaps that's the definition of an "accident?" :) Like the others, I hope you heal well and quickly, too.

Tractor Gal

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sounds like you got the crap beat out of you. It's painful to see the curve in the steering wheel where you were pinned. Your ability to think clearly and use the keyboard are doing fine! Pray you heal fast! :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Holy smokes….glad you’re on the mend….glad you’re here to tell the story…

Take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery.