Splitting a L3830HST

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
My cousin has a L3830HST that is leaking fluid from the clutch housing part number 070 (plug kit). His questions :
!), how difficult is it to split this tractor?
2) how difficult to replace any leaking seals?
3) any special tools needed to complete the job?
4) about how many hours to do this for a man with average mechanical skills?

(unable to attach schematics) :(

He has jacks, jack stands, cribbing, chain falls, block and tackle.
Any help greatly appreciated.

CobraTom

Equipment
L5030, L3430, L4310, L3410, B3030 , R510 currently..
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
It's really not the worst job in the world and a man with average mechanical skills can easily accomplish it in a weekend. The biggest pain in my opinion is moving the steering column/cluster assembly far enough towards the seat to get access to the top bolts.

I found it easiest to remove plastics, remove the tie rods for the brakes, clutch, etc. unbolt and slide it forward without unbolting steering hydraulic lines.

No specialty tools outside of the proper seal tools to prevent ripping the new seal when you are installing it. You definitely need some patience replacing seals. It took me some time and patience.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Seasoned tech can usually do that job in around 10 hours including cleaning time. So an average guy-like myself-probably a weekend if you work uninterrupted. I have done them faster but I don't like to hurry.

It's not that bad really. Just removing the pedestal and slide it back on the floorboard far enough to get your favorite wrench in there to loosen the bellhousing bolts and nuts. Rest is removing 2 hydrualic pipes, brake rods and clutch rods. And wiring. IIRC the 30 series, have to remove the front half of the wiring harness and drape it back over the seat. I found it easier to do it that way as opposed to removing the rear half and draping it forwards. I really wish the harness just plugged together!

The seals are kind of fun. You'll need 2 new sleeves, the bearing, the seals, plenty of fluid, etc. Getting the old stuff off of the old shaft may be easy or it may not be. I usually recommend replacing it but it's not always cost feasible to do so. Be sure to watch the rear spline collar that's inside the transmission. When you remove the shaft, the splined collar may be on the shaft that you're pulling out. If it is, it will usually fall off inside the transmission, but it's not the end of the world.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Thank you CobraTom and lugbolt, I will let my cousin know that it is a job he has the ability to do.