Something wrong with my backhoe controls??

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Maybe a video at slower rpm and higher for us to see.
I thought about doing that, but then there is still heresay as to "what is he really doing with the controls?" since you cant see the actual hydraulic valve positions. Still might if I get time.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Keep practicing and keep the rpms up in the backhoe range on the dash. Remember when digging with the backhoe all your digging power is in the curl. It takes some experience and finesse to also use down pressure while dragging backwards and using the curl all at the same time. This is how you get er done!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
A couple things.
1) Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level to make sure it is full?
2) Do you have good down pressure on both of your stabilizers and your front bucket? If not put more down pressure on all 3 to help keep the machine from shaking so much
I have spent thousands of hours running out full size John Deere and Case backhoes, rarely did I run them at wide open throttle. Usually somewhere between 1/2-3/4 throttle was enough, sometimes a little more. On my B2920 with a BH65, I run about 1600-1800 RPMs.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
A few of the lever control linkage pins under the control lever cover on my BH77 became loose after not too many hours on it from new - less than 24 hors on the hoe I would guess. Finding that and re-tightening and adjusting them made a HUGE difference on how the controls felt and functioned.

It turned out that the control lever was also contacting the metal cover plate that the rubber boots cover, and even taking the boots off, as they 're what the levers were actually jamming up against at the metal cover, didn't stop contact. The cover was limiting lever travel, substantially.

So I removed the cover plate and left the boots sit there as a basic dust/dirt shield for the valves.

And third, inspect for tightness and lube those lever control swivel pins regularly. I've had to tighten them again a couple seasons later.

I run at operating rpm all the time on the backhoe. 2500 rpm on my B2650. With tight, freely playing and well lubed controls, I've been able to feather that boom swing better and better over time, I'm used to it, and it works great! If needing more careful positioning, I put both hands on the lever with one elbow snug to my thigh and it can be operated very slow and smooth that way.

And on a final note, once I'm tearing along digging a hole, trenching, whatever, having with full rpm the fast boom swing available, is a huge time $aver when swinging to the waste pile and returning.