Some ideas

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK guys I am looking for some ideas here, I was thinking about putting skis on the small trailer I use to haul wood and stuff, the wheels in the snow leave a lot to be desired. SO my thought were of trying to find a pair of old snowmobile skis, and weld a stand off and a piece of pipe as a bushing to go over the axel and cotter pin it in place like the wheel is.. Anybody think of some other way or problems I might encounter?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK guys I am looking for some ideas here, I was thinking about putting skis on the small trailer I use to haul wood and stuff, the wheels in the snow leave a lot to be desired. SO my thought were of trying to find a pair of old snowmobile skis, and weld a stand off and a piece of pipe as a bushing to go over the axel and cotter pin it in place like the wheel is.. Anybody think of some other way or problems I might encounter?

Skeets,

Sounds like a neat idea, I would think that fiberglass would be a stretch on the pocket book and wood would not last long enough. If you could build the sub-frame out of metal and then have a flat bottom ski with a piece of .....what about a piece of synthetic decking? It is "plastic-wood" it will take a lot of abuse and if it breaks, you could replace a section. I would take a decking board, cut about a 3 foot or so length, and then attach a metal lip on both ends, that way a fallen tree branch will be forced under, a metal ski will be too rigid, and this way it is a "wide" ski, like 36 x 5.5 in contact to the ground ( twice that with two) the decking board would slide and ride over darn near anything and have enough give to be abused! Make sure the ski can be backed up.....you never know!!!

tell us what you come up with !:)

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I seem to remember a friend's Dad had a tandem sled trailer and would put the skis (similar to sno-mobile skis) on the trailer and pull it (the trailer) the rest of the way to the camp. i.e., park the car, off-load sleds, ride the rest of the mile into the camp without plowing the road. Can't remember how they attached (40 or so years ago) but it was a simple roll on tie down hook up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I took an old wooden KCP&L ladder. What remained was a ten ft section of an extension ladder. I got some snow skies at Salvation Army for $2. Mounted the skies to the ladder rails.

I made it just to see what I could use it for. The neighbor kids found me outside one day messing in the snow and asked for a ride. I attached some carpet on some plywood for a top and it carried all that could fit on it.

For hauling more or heavier loads you could have both ladder section set up side by side with plywood across both.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Skeet s,
Thats a fine idea and should work well. You shouldn't have any problems because the front wheels will always be on the ground. If not you would have to limit how much the skis would pitch Forward so that they wouldn't nose dive. But i doubt you'll be hanging wheelies :D. I have a buddy that turned a 300 Honda wheeler into a snow machine. Old steel snowmobile skis, some angle iron, and plate steel. Welded it up to bolt on like a tire. He had to bolt on a couple riser clamps and some round stock to limit the pitch of the skis.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Sorry i misread your post, thought you were pitting skis on the tractor! It would still work great on a trailer!